What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Major Semi-Final (2007) Bluebags v Warriors

Willow

Assistant Moderator
MAJOR SEMI-FINAL (2007)
Winner progresses to grand final

Newtown Bluebags v New Zealand Warriors

Game Thread:
Please note - This is a game thread only, therefore only game posts can be made here (Teams, Articles).
Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.
Only original essays, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.
Rules: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/rules.php

5v5 + 2 reserves each

No TBAs

FULL TIME: Wednesday 22 August 2007 at 9pm (Syd time)
REFEREE: Misanthrope
Venue: The Front Row Stadium
ground_tfr_1.jpg

**The Referee Blows Game On!**
whistle_2.gif

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
Warriors, in their first finals game are ready to go

Jesbass (VC)
Rayroxon
Mixmasterreece
Nz Warrior
MKEB

Bench:
byrne_rovelli_fan82 (C)
Robster

Robster

Bench
*ROBSTER LEADS OUT THE HAKA, and goes within 5cm's of Polar bob*

*not a f7s article*

Robster
KA MATE! KA MATE!
We're going to die! We're going to die!
We were at war
Chorus
KA ORA, KA ORA!
We're going to live! We're going to live!
But now there is peace.
Jesbass
KA MATE! KA MATE!
We're going to die! We're going to die!
We thought we were all going to die
Chorus
KA ORA, KA ORA!
We're going to live! We're going to live!
but now we are safe

All together
TENEI TE TANGATA PU'RU-HURU
This is the man, so hairy
because our leader, so strong and masculine,

NA'A NEI TIKI MAI WHAKA-WHITI TE ... who fetched, and made shine the
has unified us and brought back the sunny days of

... RA! UPANE! KA UPANE!
sun! Together! All together ... !
peace. We are all working in harmony, side by side,

A UPANE! KA UPANE!
Together! All together ... !
moving in unison like the hairs on our chief's legs

WHITI TE RA!
To sun shines!
to prolong these sunny days of peace.

HI !:crazy:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The Bluebags bus arrives at The Front Row Stadium.
bluebags_celeb_mardigras.jpg

TEAM Major Semi-Final 2007:
jersey_bluebags_1a.gif

Willow(c)
Gorilla
Everlovin' Antichrist
Dave Q
Drew-Sta

Res:
Rexxy
Cheesie-the-Pirate

Good luck one and all. :thumn

MiXmasterreece for the warriors side steps the Bluebag's Mardi Gras - taking little notice of the young man in leather restraints, with an apple in his mouth, whose pleading for my help - and pops this game's cherry.

The composition of a man

drwg_man.jpg

When the 2007 NRL season is all but a fading memory, the elation of one coach will only be matched by the misery of fifteen others. Surrounding these unlucky fifteen will be a squall of anger, accusations and grave consequences. With their arms flapping at their sides like a marionette controlled by an amateur puppeteer, they will front the media spotlight and beg for the mercy of fans with promises of improvements. They are at war.

In this war there will be casualties and there will be heartbreak. And nothing is more certain than the fact that this year's war will be ugly. There is nothing beautiful about watching the destruction of a man.

It seems only fitting as the season draws to a close that the stories of these fifteen are told as there are similarities between them all. For some they will survive, but for others their lungs may be filling with their final professional breaths.

It would be foolish to broadly tell the story of these men as a whole, but to tell the stories of the parts that make these men a whole helps to draw parallels between their plights. These are their stories, stories largely untold.

I am his eyes watching his hopes and dreams slip away again. I've witnessed the elation of his successes and the agony of his defeats. Each week I watch as his fate lies in the hands of seventeen other men, sound in the knowledge that failure will be his cross to bear.

I am his cracked lips devoid of moisture. A product of nerves, his mouth feels like it's stuffed with cotton buds on game day as he searches along my ridge with his tongue.

I am his thick skin, I have been forged in the flames of abuse scattered through the peaks and troughs of his career. I have found over the span of many years that his coterie are more intent on jumping on his failings than praising his victories. The warm glow of victory fades so quickly.

I am his white knuckles, this lack of blood circulation has been caused from his hands gripping the sides of his chair in the coaches box. This vice like grip intensifies as he comes to the realisation that his fortunes are dependent on the bounce of a ball.

I am his hands, he shelters some players with his left hand and pushes others away with his right. He uses me to craft his game plan and to articulate his message to his charges - but would I be better used tending to a cut on his daughters knee, or perhaps cradling his new born son?

I am his furrowed brow, these lines are now clearly defined and will stay with him like scars from a long gone war. I can tell a thousand stories, a woven patchwork detailing his life.

I am his restless nights spent tossing and turning in bed, clutching at anything that will help him dream. Taking his burden home with him - and unable to escape the stress - the darkness of night no longer brings alleviation.

I am his blood pressure, abnormally high for a man of his age. As he approaches the twilight of his working career, will I make the final decision on how many years he has left with his family?

I am his sense of uncertainty and fear, an inescapable feeling of dread that turns everything to a shade of gray, clouding his thoughts like an early morning mist rolling in over a deserted dock. Each season brings with it a myriad of possible scenarios, with no way of knowing where next he may call 'home'.

Passion is a dangerous thing, it aids the passionate in celebrating success, but it also produces anger on a monumental scale when the passionate feel they've been betrayed. Rugby League fans – like many sports followers – tend to forget that those who coach their teams are human beings. It's only human nature that people make mistakes, and stinging criticism isn't always just 'water off a duck's back'.

This anger follows coaches from club to club, you need only look at Michael Hagan, Brian Smith or Matthew Elliot for proof of that. Author Carl Buechner said it best when he proclaimed “They may forget what you said, but they will never forget how you made them feel.”

We all want to taste success, but perhaps there's solace to be found in understanding.

750 words according to the Official Word Counter - Hail Xenu !

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Willow | Bluebags
jersey_bluebags_1a.gif

Support the brand, not the team

When the Eastern Suburbs Roosters decided on 'City Ford' as their jersey sponsor in 1976, it was met with a mixture of derision and applause. It broke new ground in bringing money into rugby league but it copped some criticism from purists who saw the $50,000 per season deal as straight out prostitution of the team jersey.

The new order laid the groundwork for further changes to the club's identity with the Roosters changing their name to the Sydney City Roosters, thus abandoning the 'Easts' moniker forever more.

Of course, this is not the first time that clubs and competition have sold their heritage for the dollar. Way back in 1959, North Sydney were originally known as 'The Shoremen' but changed their nickname to 'The Bears' after a deal was struck with the now defunct 'Big Bear Supermarket' in Neutral Bay, the shop owner looking for an easy means to advertise his business. Small bickies compared to the multi-million dollar corporate deals that go down nowadays, but the basic tenet remains the same.

Following the Roosters experiment of 1976, the floodgates opened with my team St George being the next to corrupt their jersey, the proud Red V suddenly being splattered with the well-known 'Penfolds' brand of plonk. It wasn't long before all first grade teams were fielding 13 sandwich board runners every weekend, promoting everything from chips to lawn mowers.

It's worth noting that this was the 1970s and there was a colour TV in almost every home. Given the bizarre fashions of the day, you couldn't really blame people for wanting to skip the 70s altogether in preference for the greed of the 80s.

Nevertheless, the new age of communication had arrived, albeit cautiously.

Ironically, the non-commercial ABC was the only broadcaster televising rugby league games in Sydney. Plus the New South Wales Rugby League, in their wisdom, placed a blanket ban on telecasting the first half. They were accused of living in the past, and they probably were. But these were the last days of district football as we knew it... there's no denying that with the onset of expansion, the old Sydney Comp was in its death throes.

By the 1990s, the League propelled itself headlong into the corporate world, pushing aside the traditional JJ Giltinan Shield for a grotesque statue called the 'Winfield Cup' - it didn't even look like a cup. Plus one of the men featured (Norm Provan) was initially opposed having his name attached to something so tacky, namely because it promoted cigarettes. The original statue was hollow as well, and it had no base, perhaps a reflection of its soul-less nature.

In the years that followed, the game transformed into an uncompromising beast as broadcasters fought over the advertising dollar - a battle that culminated in the self-destruction of rugby league during the Super League Wars of 1996-1997. A conflict with no winners and a fallout which gave us a game today where even the referees sometimes hold up play for a commercial break.

So it is with a sense of reflection that I recall the day when Penfolds appeared on the St George jersey in 1977. Like many fans, I went out and bought the new merchandise, it was quite a novelty at the time and I have worn my old Penfolds jersey to more than a few games. In fact I have quite a collection of sponsored jerseys. But even 30 years ago there existed an uneasy feeling inside, and I wondered if it was the not-so thin edge of the wedge.

To this day, my favourite jersey remains as the one devoid of sponsorship. It just looks cleaner.

Nowadays fans rush out and buy the latest monstrosity. Unfortunately nothing is sacred with even the manufactured heritage of the Anzac Day match succumbing further to the billboard mentality. Indeed, I question the sincerity of commentator Ray Warren when in 2007 he solemnly referred to the National Anthem as being, "brought to you by Sony."

Of course its all a good boost for the coffers - I understand this - and the more money rugby league gets, the more professional the game becomes.

But I sometimes wonder if fans are slowly forgetting what it is like to have a team to support.

More to the point, when do they stop supporting the team and start supporting the brand?

*730 words*

*Ref: (North Sydney Bears history) RL1908.com*

EA for da 'bags.

Tell a friend.

Rugby League is at war with Rugby Union.

It’s a war that began in 1895 but since 1995, when Rugby Union went professional, it has escalated and the victor may eventually swallow up the loser.

If you follow Rugby Union, read the following, if you don't, read it anyway;

Rugby is a term that Rugby Union “folk” believe is theirs and theirs alone. The truth is that there are two codes of Rugby Football. Rugby League at the elite levels is professional Rugby evolved over 112 years, Rugby Union at the elite level is amateur Rugby that now pays its elite players.

Rugby Union is a sport built around deceit, lies and bedding some of history’s demons.

In 2003, they said, “the Rugby World Cup is the third biggest sporting event in the world” and “The Rugby World Cup will have over 3 billion viewers”. Anyone with an iota of commonsense knew that the word “potential” had been deliberately omitted and there is a vast difference between a “potential” audience and an “actual” audience. Anyone with a modicum of an iota of commonsense knew that sticking a game on channel 36 on TV in China or Channel 71 in India doesn’t actually mean 1.3 billion Chinese and 1 billion Indians watched it.

But Rugby Union said it and people believe it. Don't believe me?

Google it.

If your reaction to hearing about the “over 3 billion viewers” didn’t prick you into spending a few seconds on a calculator to work out that 3 billion viewers over 32 matches equates to each match being watched by more than 93,750,000 people don‘t fret, you were in good company.

A Mr. Armstrong, the then shadow minister for Sport and Recreation, of the NSW Parliament, in 2003 regarding the Rugby World Cup asked the house to recognise that “an estimated 4 billion television viewers will watch the tournament throughout the world.”

This reported even though the actual audience for the final was a total of 16 million in the two countries represented in the final.

Where did the rest come from?

And let’s not forget Paul Whelan MP in 1991 claiming in parliament that “at least one billion people will watch the World Cup final”.

The recently started ARC (Australian Rugby Championship) has posted crowds that even a cursory glance at the ABC coverage puts paid to very quickly. Actual crowds of a few hundred are posted as three thousand plus change, four thousand plus change etc.

But lying about crowd and TV audience figures are the tip of the iceberg.

Rugby Union has a past that would make partying with Charles Manson in the hours before the Sharon Tate murders look like spending an afternoon at Sunday mass in comparison.

In bed with the Nazis via the Vichy regime in France during World War 2, when Rugby League was banned and it’s assets handed over to Rugby Union, to strolling and hand-in-hand with the Apartheid regimes in South Africa, this foe will form an alliance with anyone.

For nearly 90 years Rugby League picked the eyes out of Rugby Union’s best to play in our competitions but that only happened because of Rugby Union’s dogged refusal to pay their players for providing the entertainment. Since Union moved to professionalism the steady stream of players moving to Rugby League has dried up. It was always the way to stop the flow but Rugby Union administrators obviously preferred the money to be in their pockets rather than in the player’s pockets. Par for the course.

Rugby Union spent the best part of 100 years cultivating the image that it was “the game they played in Heaven”, that it was a game for civilised people, for people other than the working classes who were looked down upon, usually whilst sipping a Pimms. The problem with that theory is that it doesn’t matter which religion you choose to believe in, any game that has Idi Amin, Danie Craven and Marshall Petain on the sidelines cheering will be playing somewhere a lot further south and a lot warmer than Heaven.

If you're a Rugby Union fan, bugger off now..

If you're not, please continue on..

Rugby Union wants Rugby League to disappear and they want it to disappear so that they can become Rugby League. Something they can’t do whilst Rugby League exists because it will “upset the purists”.

Those “purists” needn’t worry and its up to us to tell them why…

747 words.

References;

http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/pro.../LA19911031005

http://www.rugbyfootballhistory.com/world_cup.htm

http://www.amlinkevents.com/cm.esp?i...eid=_1VV0TUHSN

http://www.aar.com.au/med/pressreleases/pr15may03.htm

http://www.britannica.com/ebc/article-9389106

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...651325897.html

http://www.ausport.gov.au/journals/a...o2/12rugby.pdf

http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/pro...256DE40023C999

http://www.offthetelly.co.uk/blog/20...ht-return.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...tings_for_2003

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Drew-Sta for the 'Bags.

----------------------------------

Dolchstosslegende

Ring a bell at all?

No, it’s not a garbled bunch of letters that I’m using to fake a word. Dolchstosslegende is an interesting concept perpetuated post WWI into WWII. In German, it means literally ‘dagger stab legend’, and refers to a social myth and persecution-propaganda theory. The theory proclaimed that at the most crucial of times, some had intentionally "sabotaged the war effort."

Make sense yet?

‘Our client has this year to date played in 14 matches and is concerned that the club by intentionally not selecting him to play his 15th match of the season is attempting to not honour its contract with him.’

The above extract is a letter from Kirk Reynoldson's lawyers to the Newcastle Knights club. An interesting document, it speaks of the clubs responsibility to honour the players contract, should his form warrant selection. The point of contention, of course, is whether he should be allowed to play his 15th game of the season, and thereby activate a $200,000 clause in his contract that will see him play the season of 2008 with the Knights.

It’s an interesting situation to follow. On one hand, it appears as though Reynoldson is the shining Knight of club loyalty, seeking to fly the banner of clubman and speak of his pain at the prosect of “… leaving all the boys.”

On the other hand, is this contractual agreements gone berserk. Is Reynoldson really just a man out to make sure he has an income next year?

Still, in both cases, you can’t exactly blame the man. His club appears to have closed the door on him. His coach has shunned him; preferring to blood juniors rather than let him take the field in a team desperate for experience. The fans, probably the worst off of all, are sitting by watching as club, player and coach run the team they support through the mud, and make them feel like they’re supporting something more appropriate to the Jerry Springer show than the NRL.

The debate rages, and the effects it's having on the club are made quite obvious by the media. Senior players are disgruntled and in some cases leaving, fans are unsure what to think about the incredible player cleanout Brian Smith is performing, and stuck in the middle of this is a bearded figure, who must be wondering what on earth he’s done to deserve the attention he’s received. Who did he let down? Why was the clubs administration appearing to be so keen to dishonour his contract and let him walk away? Who is stabbing him in the back?

This spate of ‘player cleanouts’ is not entirely new to 2007. Brett Seymour, last week’s hero for Cronulla, was last April's villain as he wallowed in premier league and made quite aware that he was not in mind for Cronulla’s 2007 season, nor was he going to be required for 2008. Josh Hannay found himself playing for the Gymea Gorilla’s. People questioned Stuart's decisions, and to be honest their results this year would probably suggest that the questioning is fair. But then this just makes Smiths decisions all the more perplexing, with Newcastle running second last.

Exactly why would you treat a player like this? Especially when you're affecting not only your ability to perform, but also the team’s morale. Could Smith's decisions be impacting the team so much, that his handling of senior players be considered 'stabs in the back'?

One of the more interesting observations I've made is that Smiths impact to the club has only really been felt since one A. Johns retired, and I'm about to share with you a theory. The way Johns plays, and the way the players around him react to his presence, has previously had a large effect on the success of Newcastle. When Johns is out, the team tended to flounder.

Rightly or wrongly, I think Smith is essentially trying to rid the team of any 'post Johns' syndrome, and would prefer to bank his teams performance on a young and fresh squad; Untainted by previous performances and seeking to produce results outside of the shadow left by Johns. I would imagine he's trying to also give both Walsh and Mullen the opportunity to develop their own style and not be hindered by teammates who might resist their influence, claiming 'Joey didn't do it this way.'

Is Kirk Reynoldson merely collateral damage to this mission?

I suppose time will tell, but my gut instinct says yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolchstosslegende

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22252639-5012665,00.html

rayroxon

Juniors
Rayroxon relieves himself Jerry Collins style while waving to mum down Camera Three. Classy stuff...

The Challenge

“I’m Connor Post, welcome to the 2007 NRL Challenge! Here we are at the halogen drenched Telstra Stadium for what promises to be a great event. A bounty of beauties, brains and balls beckons as we wait to meet the field. The competition has never been hotter so lets get to it.”

“Chip Kick here and I’m excited! We’ll be your eyes and ears on the ground at what promises to be one of the best NRL Challenges ever!”

"Here’s our first contestant, Miss Redfern wearing a rabbit skin coat and a Cinderella Man sash."

"Indeed it is Connor. After being controversially booted out of the competition a couple of years ago she looks to be in impressive form and is a hot tip to continue to the Hot 8 Swimsuit Competition. She’s in fine form off field too after announcing her partnership with two prominent businessmen, but we needn't name names."

"No we shouldn't Chip, besides a little three-way action never hurt anyone."

"I couldn't agree more, stash away those cheerleaders and bang a drum, this one's a contender!"

“Next is Miss Sutherland wearing a lovely choker.”

“Right you are Chip. Ouch! A nasty stumble in the ladder leg of the competition will stop her from progressing any further.”

“Hmm…reminiscent of last year wouldn’t you agree Connor?”

“Of course. Someone who isn’t reminiscent of last year though is Miss Townsville. After her breakout competition in 2005 she disappointed in 2006 with a muted campaign but looks the goods.”

“I agree but she’ll need to shut the gates as I hear she lets a few too many through if you know what I mean.”

“That I do Chip. Next out is Miss Ashfield.”

“I think you mean Leichardt…or Campbelltown.”

“Who knows these days? She seems to be all over the place, much too inconsistent to be considered this year I think.”

“For sure. Nothing Manly about our next contestant, it’s Miss Manly!”

“Isn’t that a funny title?”

“Indeed it is. She’s done extremely well despite the upgrade work that is being proposed at home for her.”

“Someone who doesn’t need any upgrade work at all is Miss Melbourne.”

“She certainly is causing a Storm, Connor. After being pipped at the post by Miss Brisbane last year she’s back with a vengeance. The hot bet to take out the Competition she was particularly impressive during the mud wrestling round, displaying a great grapple.”

“Word just in on Miss Brisbane. She won’t be taking the runway right now. Reports state she’s on one leg.”

“What sad news. I certainly hope she’s still in the Hunt after that setback.”

“Agreed. Here are three that never were in the hunt, Miss Kogarah, Newcastle and Penrith.”

“They seem to be squabbling amongst each other over what seems to be a spoon.”

“I think you’re right Chip. What strange behaviour. You’d think they’d be happy to win something even if it is a piece of cutlery.”

“Not in this competition so it would seem Connor.”

“Next up, Miss Parramatta. She seems clear of the squabbling.”

“She is looking good at the right stage of the competition. She has one of the best looking backs in this competition.”

“A bit of a Grothe spurt you could say.”

“You joker Chip. Following close behind is Miss Canterbury-Bankstown. Normally a sunny character she seems to be in a hurry to get down the runway.”

“You could say she’s speeding down and it looks like she’s heading straight for the bathroom.”

“Well well, when the bathroom’s a rocking you don’t come a knocking.”

“Haha, right you are Connor. Here, seemingly four foot taller and bulletproof is Miss New Zealand.”

“Our Trans-Tasman entrant paid a Price last competition but looks all the better for it.”

“Indeed. Following her is the new kid. Our latest entrant has soared with the Seagulls and has had a Giant campaign. After Charging to the top of the field she’s still in with a chance of progression, it’s Miss Gold Coast.”

“She’s followed by Miss Canberra. Wow, she's seemingly crashed off the runway and is fleeing from the scene on foot. Erratic behaviour from this inconsistent entrant.”

“Agreed Chip. Finally it’s Miss Bondi. She looks happy just being here considering the ordeal she’s been through and she’s still a slim chance of progressing! Her hobbies include rising from the dead and drawing.”

“Well that’s the field Chip. I’m exhausted! Hold on! They’re making an announcement…”

“I can hardly wait! Oh my!”

“The winner is…”

750 words betwen stars. I'd name the winner if I was allowed 751 ;-)http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=3676161

MKEB...

Staff member
On runs th MKEB...true to the legend of Sam Backo cigarettes in tow.
Gets to halfway, has a drag and says to his warriors team mates "what way are we running"?
gets spun around pointed in the right direction and says " yous fullas must be joking I hate running against the wind".

A Hypocrite Speaks.

They have a position of respect within the sport that we love. Their names often mistaken for the Devil incarnate. Clarke, Hayne, Simpkins, Archer names often shrouded in infamy controversy and sometimes pure abject hatred. These are the men that carry a whistle and a stopwatch. These are the men that bark out orders in the middle of the Rugby League field. These are the guys with an imaginary target painted on their backs. These are the referees.

The questions that I put to you, the reader, are; do they deserve our respect? Do they get our respect?

The referees in our sport are so often the only judge of right and wrong, a thankless task and yet they are the only people game enough on a weekend to adjudicate our sport. They are expected to be accurate; to pick up an incident be it from close up or from a long way out and make the correct decision
They are expected to be impartial fair and unable to be swayed by the baying of fans on the sidelines.
They are expected to be consistent, to be able to pick up the same mistakes again and again.

A referee’s decision can influence the outcome of a game, which can influence the outcome of a season, which can influence gate takings at a ground, which can influence a clubs ledger and livelihood.

Not too much to ask, you say? I say; a lot of pressure.

Referees know that they are the subject of such derision, just like they know that the players will try and take advantage of them on the field. I cannot help but feel a twinge of ironic amusement at a coach who instructs his charges to ride a referee’s perceived weakness, or to cheat in subtle ways only to finish the game and complain to the media how hard done by his team were for getting penalised (or getting caught).
You know the things that I mean, things like staying just inside the 10 metres, or holding on in the tackle for that one second too long.

As we sit in the comfort of our chairs in our living rooms in front of the television, or conversely in the uncomfortable plastic seats in the eastern stand of our local grounds, us spectators have expectations, the highest expectations for the match. We expect out team to win. We know that the only thing getting in the way of our team winning their match is the referee. The only way that we can possibly lose is if the referee stuffs us.

Us the crowd, the vertebrae of our chosen sport, we swear an oath of fealty to our team, to let the referee know when an opposition player throws a forward pass and to blindly ignore a pass that one of our players have thrown forward. We boo vociferously when one of our players gets caught in a high tackle and cheer when an opposition player gets thumped in a “marginally high tackle.
“Clearly the ref has no damned idea” we say using more colourful colloquialisms.
“Watch the damned game”.

If we are not consistent as spectators, how can we expect a referee to be consistent as well?

In this day and age of television replays, we the viewer are treated to multiple camera angles and plethora of replays. We tend to dismiss the angles/replays that don’t show what our “unbiased” eyes see for the replay which will benefit our team more.
The same play will be seen in two totally different ways by the player’s coaches and us spectators leading the referee to be both right and wrong.
A unique situation it is to be both right and wrong at the one time.

I find it strange also that we can bemoan a referee for not blowing his whistle enough, “he is too lenient”, and yet we can lambaste a referee for incessantly blowing his whistle for “killing a decent game”.
Why can referees not find a happy medium?

I for one am to blame for this referee abuse. I feel hypocrisy running through my veins. My television has worn many a soft slipper across the screen and received many obscenities.

I love the game, without referees my game would not exist. Referees deserve our respect; they don’t get that respect… at least not from me…not until next year.

734 words between the asterisks.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
NZ Wazza takes the field. He's pissed off at the match officials here today, thanks to a glut of bad calls. He's walking straight up to the ref, must be wanting a word. HE PUNCHED HIM!!! HE'S DOWN!!! The ref has been floored by a wild haymaker, courtesy of NZ Warrior.

This is disgraceful, he'll never see forum sevens action again. The touchies are running on to join the fracas. They are laying the boots into NZ Warrior, who is still pummelling the ref. The Video Ref is even running down from the grandstand, he wants a piece too.

I'd like to apologise to all the kids watching out there, this is madness. You never touch a ref on any playing field. Everyone knows that you wait until you see him in the car park, before giving him a hiding.

DROP GOAL-A-THON OR DROP A POINT?

Draws are like kissing your sister, nobody wants to see that. Draws maybe alright for soccer, but then so is “diving” because an opposition player brushed against your shoulder.

The NRL’s adoption of the Golden Point rule has been met with hot debate ever since it’s inception. Coaches hate it, fans love it. But more and more fans are turning off the idea. This may be due to the fact that the NRL is so much more competitive now.

To have two teams locked up after 80 minutes, then to have them go on to play up to an extra 10 minutes. It must be gutting to be a part of the losing side. They could be forgiven for thinking they were robbed of a point for their troubles. Back in the day, the game would have been over after 80 minutes, both teams would have taken home a point.

Competitive team sports have always been about winning, beating the opposition. To fail to accomplish this is to lose. A draw might as well be a loss; neither team has gained superiority over their opponents. To be given a point for it is pure charity. A result accomplishes something, a draw does not. In a drawn game, both teams and their supporters would have been better off staying home and getting their 1 point in the mail.

There is the argument that Golden Point is a waste of time, a drop goal-a-thon. This is understandable, both teams have just been through 80 gruelling minutes and the fuel tank gauges are passing EMPTY. But can’t this argument also be applied to the last 5-10 minutes of regular time? With both teams equal, if a capable player were in range and not under pressure, he’d be silly not to go for a drop goal. The positive side of extra time is it gives an extra chance to achieve a result. The fans get up to 10 minutes extra game time for free and all the more entertaining as both teams are desperate to get the win. A big negative is when a side is beaten in Golden Point and has nothing to show for it.

With a glut of Golden Point games occurring closely together near the end of the season, it is a testament to how close the NRL has become. One of the most memorable Golden Point games was played recently between the Sydney Roosters and the New Zealand Warriors. Ironically, that game still ended in a draw. With more and more games being decided in extra time, an issue will need to be seriously addressed. Is it really fair to deny one team any points, after having put up such a fight with their opponents, to be beaten in extra time? The game is basically throwing them into the same basket as a team who just got hammered by 60 points.

A logical solution would be to increase a win to 3 points. A win in extra time would be 2 points. A loss in extra time would be 1 point. A draw after extra time would be 1 point for each team. 0 points for a loss. This would be a far fairer reflection, with more consideration shown to teams going into Golden Point games. So after 80 minutes in a drawn game, both teams are assured 1 point. An extra point is up for grabs for a win in extra time. But the victorious team is still penalised for not being able to beat their opponent in regular time, resulting in being awarded 2 points instead of 3 points. If no result is achieved after extra time, then both teams remain with 1 point each.

The new points system could please coaches and teams. Looking back on the example of the Roosters vs Warriors game; both groups of teams, coaches and fans would have been disheartened, if their team had nothing to show for going through such a gladiatorial game.

With the NRL becoming more and more cut throat, a revised points system must be under consideration. It is not just a matter of fairness, but also a matter of recognition. A team that loses in extra time should not be given 0 points, like a team that has been hammered by 60. The flipside is a team should not be awarded 2 points, for beating a team in extra time, like a team that has hammered a team by 60.

(750 words, oh yes, he does it again)

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Posting for Dave Q:

Dave Q for the Bluebags

A ponderance… League and Existence

I exist today, I did for a bit yesterday and I may yet exist tomorrow.

As far history itself goes, I have but a short space in those whole proceedings.

But in the whole scheme of the world, heaven and the universe, my impact seems to be confined to me and those around me. That is to those people within my 'reach' and to a lessor extent, those whom I reach for.

And in my short time on this earth, I have chosen to reach out for the sport of rugby league and consume its media and messages albeit somewhat more selectively as I get older. And I don’t have much time.

So as I get older, I must say, I get more forgiving of player indiscretions. I get more sceptical of the beat up that drives the game.

As a youngster, I recall going to that Parramatta game when Mary ran out onto the field to abuse referee Hartley. I had met her earlier in the day. She was a card-carrying member of the blue-and-gold army along with my brother-in-law. She was drunk by the end of the under 23s. She disappeared for a while and then the next time we saw her it was on the field. Massive forward Geoff Gerard saw her off kindly. A day of impact for her, historic.

All of us were initially astonished, but then the people I was with, they embraced the humour of it. "She was crazy” but in a kind way. Of course if she did it today, she would be criminalised and abused for days by self-serving talkback disc jockeys who think we have IQs of 12-year-olds.

I also recall that Hoppa did his little number on. I recalled feeling annoyed and trying to give this proud father of eight some latitude. Maybe his finger slipped?

But then other players came forward and it turns out that he was well practised in his digital diving.

I was surprised by this but not holed. Some of league's enemies used it to poke fun at the game. It never happens in other sports.

Now not so long ago, I saw a young player called Brad Morrin bite one Timana Tahu. It was an amazing picture, mouth wide open; it looked like he was earnestly sucking his arm muscle. Like a human leach... a young Dracula of rugby league! Gum on son.

There was the usual outcry from the orthodox shiny do-gooders.

But his excuse was ordinary ("he lost it") and following the event, we all thought that this 'crime against the game' would be his only 'contribution to the game.

I just would have preferred him to say, "because I felt like it at the time."

A simple truthful statement we could all relate to and enjoy!

Now some are saying that he has to be another Andrew Johns to shake off his reputation for evil.

I say he should attend schools and talk about the evils of biting and the trouble the kids could get into.

And why is that no-body asked, "What does Timana's arm muscle taste like?"

Or "How do you feel?" To which he could have answered, "Still hungry!"

I hope he does become another Andrew Johns. I hope he does spurn the national jersey like Johns did.

At the time, this was far more controversial than Iraq or the current government plans to kick young mums off the dole and pay for childcare they cannot afford. Its Ok, the kids can wait outside mum's work on the footpath but "no biting" each other.

What we probably know in LU better than anyone else and that is that the game has no objectives or existence in truth. Everyone’s view if different. No one thinks the same.

What one person sees as "abuse of an official”, a "finger slip" and "extreme sucking", someone else sees as "a funny incident", "rape" and a "product of concussion."

If you accept that two people can watch the same event and ascribe different emotions (and values) to each of them, then all we are left with is a collection of individual constructs.

And if that is the case, then no incident can exist in the game its own right. Nothing we can agree to actually happened.

But if it did happen, it would be without meaning, out of my reach and unable to reach out to me.

-740 words-

gorilla

First Grade
After someone finally opens the luggage compartment to get the fishnets out, Gorilla scrambles out to shamble on field, hoping everyon can hear him *talk*, but no-one can hear what he's *thinking*

Goz_070821_4.jpg

Old Fellah’s Box

*thinks*
*talks*

bloody cold on a wet day to have to do this
and he’s not here again, I dunno, make the bloody time to get ‘ere

‘Allo Jimmy, bit late, eh ? C’mon open up the gate n’ box !
Bin on the muff, mate ?

ah well, it’ll warm up after i’ve bin in ‘ere enough
where’s me tickets ?
bloody broken light, ‘ave to open the grill

Morning, boys, are we gunna win ? Eh ? Nah, you’se are right, get on in, you’re playin’ aren’t yah ?
Jeez, you’re a dickhead.
Wanna lift those knees when ya run in today boy.

hmpf, skint juniors, the bloody others with the money don’t even ask
those islanders are big barstards
can’t jump tho’

Yep, adults eight bucks, kids three.
Hey Snake, how’re doing ? How’s the missus ?
Thank you, enjoy the game.
Yeah, just Juniors and First Grade today.

bloody sprinklin’ again – gunna cut up the field
mmmm snags …
better have this ham’n cheese bun, good bread shop, those chinks

what would Charlie say
all those bloody viets and chinks
can’t jump or play footy

Stand in line please.
Go on thru’ Chalky. Cheers mate.
Billy, oi – Billy, ask Mr President if he can get do a change run !
Ta.
Adults eight bucks, kids three, thanks.

juniors on – first grade’ll dribble in next
hope that big fellah from Bathurst is in the second row

yes, here comes that girl of mine

Hiyah, Mavis, nice to see you out on a day like today.
Yerse, the weather is keeping the crowd down today.
Wonder if she’s down the bar later
Are you meeting up with the others then, in the lounge ?
good-oh
Oh, with yer daughter and ‘er husband ?
hmmm
Well, I’ll see if I can get down later after lockup and cashing up.

one, two, three o’clock rock

where’s the bloody change ?

i’ve bin sooo lonely, i could cry

wisht I’d kept that paper – still musn’t look at the form guide, eh ?

How’re doing Chalky ?
Mind this tickets will yah, got to make water.
and get tha change

struth – get out of the box and it starts to rain
aaah, that’s better, god this dunny stinks – always has
bedda get a sanger and head back

Double sausage with onion thanks.
BBQ !
Reckon they’ll get up ?
Second-rows out again ?
Better muscle up, alright.

better bloody muscle up, wanna smash ‘em
Christ, the box, back at the little slot
aargh, fergot tha change

Nah, Chalky why would I get you a sausage sizzle ?
G’wan, p’ off, heh, heh.
Mr President’s bin with the change ?
‘Bout time, too.

kick-off, get the bum’s rush soon – hope we get a few
less and less each match, lucky the club kicks in, so Mr bloody President says

Yeah, hurry up, adults eight bucks, kids three.
Nah, can’t use that season ticket here, mate – yep adults eight bucks.
Yow, your runnin’ late – better get a move on.

where’s that ref, heh, blow that whistle – ‘bout all i know up ‘ere, that ‘n the crowd noise
christ, hope i can close up at half-time, get a few drinks and a seat in the stand

might just poke me ‘ead around and have a quick loo
Oh ? Yeah, comin’.
One adult, eight bucks.
Yeah let that kid in, alright.

the crowd !
who scored ?
bloody hell – aw, they’re running back, got the kick

Yeah four nil, their way – kicking now, eight buck each, sixteen all up.
Ta.

this bit i hate
waiting for the noise

wasn’t always this box
shame Janey left
we had good seats
Mr arsehole President couldn’t help himself

I’ve bin so ….
christ someone’ll hear soon

hey fight !
christ, gotta get a mirror in this box
ga’wn, send the prick off
thug !

nearly half time and I can lock up

Last tickets mate, just the one’ll do, yer luverly wife can sneak in, heh heh.
Cheers, mate.
Yeah catch ya for a couple at the pub later.
Yerse, I’ll be there like wings on a bat !

still a bloody cold wet day to have to do this
and he’s bloody late again

‘Allo Jimmy, late again, eh ? C’mon let’s shut up this gate n’ box ! I wanna watch !
Bin sinkin’ a few and fergot, eh ?

Goz_070821_2.jpg

750 words between the stars.

Jesbass

First Grade
Disappointed that Polar Bob hasn't taken the field for the Bluebags, and thus he can't return the 'crowbar favour' from Round 1, Jesbass charges on with his Warriors team mates and lines up a big hit...

Friday I’m In Love (743 words)

I don't care if Monday's blue
Tuesday's grey and Wednesday too
Thursday, I don't care about you
It's Friday, I'm in love

The cruel fingers of the morning sun stretch through my window and rest with the weight of the world upon my face to waken me from my uneasy slumber. Weary eyes force themselves open as I contemplate what the new week might bring. With a groan, I reluctantly push the covers aside and contemplate getting out of bed.

Vainly attempting to shake away my tiredness, I switch on the radio and rise to my feet, and am confronted to The Boomtown Rats’ 1979 classic “I Don’t Like Mondays”. Noting the irony with a wry grin, I tune to the next station, only to be greeted almost instantly by the lush guitar and upbeat chorus of The Cure’s 1992 Grammy-nominated song “Friday I’m In Love”, as lead vocalist Robert Smith begins to sing…

Monday you can fall apart

Activity around the office water cooler increases dramatically on this Monday morning, following the previous weekend of rugby league, as colleagues discuss the efforts of ‘our’ team. Well meaning but often uninformed workmates – part of the all important ‘fair weather’ fan base that helps to pay the club’s bills when the team is in winning form – also chip in from time to time.

Each new Monday allows players and fans alike to reassess the updated table, as well as the task for each team to achieve its goal of Premiership success. For some, the dream is already over as they desperately fight to avoid the Premiership obscurity of a wooden spoon finish. But for the rest, a Monday night match can either give their team hope, or ruthlessly snatch it away.

Tuesday, Wednesday break my heart

I wait, eyes wide open like a child on Christmas Eve, as Tuesday brings about the team lineup, and the inevitable discussion that follows close behind. There is regularly an inexorable belief that the lineup isn’t right and that the coach simply doesn’t know best. Someone is upset with the inclusion of a player they believe performed poorly the week before, or the exclusion of some juniors they feel should be promoted to the top side. For some unexplainable reason, each member of the latter group of selected players are regularly being referred to as ‘the next big thing’.

Tuesday and Wednesday also bring with them the results from the weekly judiciary hearings. I’m relieved to discover that not only are none of my team’s players listed, and that, for this week at least, my heart remains intact. The same cannot be said for fans of other teams.

Thursday doesn't even start

Typically borne of anxious anticipation, Thursday does little to ease my nerves surrounding the upcoming match. With the buildup to the next round of football well and truly underway, and opinions well and truly formed, I take solace in the company of others who share the same pressure. Surely, the players could never experience this level of tension…right?

At times, there is an unusual sense of helplessness as a fan, and we can do nothing but support from afar, willing our chosen team onto greatness – or, when that isn’t possible, willing them as far away from an ignominious result as can be vocally possible.

It's Friday, I'm in love

A mixture of relief and excitement washes over me like refreshingly cool water as Friday finally arrives. The day drags through at an indescribably slow rate as I long for the next round of rugby league matches to begin in the evening. My team, along with everyone else’s, has the opportunity to make amends for past failings, and to build on past successes.

The life of a rugby league fan is a weekly cycle of ebbs and flows; a veritable maelstrom formed by the waves of results and the swells of off-field activity. In a few days, the cycle will repeat itself. As daunting as that seems, I find a quiet moment wherein I smile to myself, secretly admitting that I like the whole experience; despite the controversies both on and off the field, it’s all worth even the slightest glimmer of hope that a new week might bring with it another opportunity to challenge for the title.

I don't care if Monday's blue
Tuesday's grey and Wednesday too
Thursday, I don't care about you
It's Friday, I'm in love!

-----------------------------------------------------

Sources:
www.letssingit.com
www.wikipedia.org
Lyrics from "Friday I'm In Love" by The Cure

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Well done everyone in getting all articles. :clap:

...may the best team win. :thumn

Jesbass

First Grade
What a great match up!

Well done to both teams for what should be a fantastic 5 v 5 clash.

Go Warriors! :D