What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canberra/Broncos reffing SHOCKER!

Misty Bee

First Grade
salivor said:
tinfoilhat.jpg

:lol: :lol:

Since I saw that I haven't been able to follow the thread. Salivor, that is not how you use an IUD. Or is that how you protect your cat from watching forwards with playmaking abilities?

Shorty

Staff member
Raider_69 said:
come on shorty, you've got all the answers, answer this one for me
No,you Raiders fans are so full of fire you completely missed what I was talking about.
Greeneyedmike's post pretty much sums it up perfectly it happens to all teams and is really of no surprise.

It just appears like Raiders are complaining far more than any other team and not taking responsibility for the fact that the Raiders lost it for themselves,the ref can't take all the credit.
I'm not denying that you got crap calls,not at all but you seem to blame all responsibility on the ref.

It's the football team that loses the game if you truly were the better side you would have held onto the lead and kept the Broncos in regardless of the refereeing.

skeepe

Immortal
Shorty said:
No,you Raiders fans are so full of fire you completely missed what I was talking about.
Greeneyedmike's post pretty much sums it up perfectly it happens to all teams and is really of no surprise.

It just appears like Raiders are complaining far more than any other team and not taking responsibility for the fact that the Raiders lost it for themselves,the ref can't take all the credit.
I'm not denying that you got crap calls,not at all but you seem to blame all responsibility on the ref.

It's the football team that loses the game if you truly were the better side you would have held onto the lead and kept the Broncos in regardless of the refereeing.

All this from someone who didn't watch the game.

Shorty, have you ever heard of momentum? Well, it was all with the Raiders. Carney scored, the score is 19-6 and the Raiders run away with it from there. Instead, the worst video ref decision in the history of decisions is made, and the Broncos score from the resulting set.

Then, the second worst video ref decision in the history of decisions is made. Steve Michaels drops the ball over the line. ALL YEAR these have been called no try. ALL YEAR - except for this one single decision. For reference, see Alan Tongue's "No Try" 4 minutes into the Knights vs Raiders match earlier in the year - far more a try than the one given to Michaels.

Let's play what if, and pretend that each try doesn't automatically change the rest of the game from that point. Take away Michaels' knock on "try", give the Todd Carney try and all of a sudden the Raiders win 25-24. That, in the end, is what this debate is about. The Raiders would have won if it were not for the video ref - for the third time this season. I'm sick to death of hearing this bullsh*t that teams should be good enough to overcome the bad decisions - why should they? Should they not be able to play the game on their own terms? Why must one team overcome the opposition plus the refereeing in order to win, whilst the other must only overcome the opposition?

Whatever anyone says, anyone with half a brain knows that the script for today was written well before the players ran onto the field. That, truly, is the biggest tragedy of all.

jimmythehand

Juniors
it's pretty obvious what has to happen. get rid of the interpretation- if you knock on, you knock on. If the ball hits you and goes out it's the other teams ball. this "not played at rule" is so f**king stupid.

lockyrulz

Juniors
Raider_69 said:
consistancy for the sake of it is wrong, particually if its consistantly the WRONG call
all we ask is consistancy making the right calls, we've got referees consistantly making the wrong calls, and the side higher on the table or with the higher profile almost always ends up on the good side of the ledger

I agree, but I can say with all honesty that I have long believed that in the majority of these cases the player plays at the ball.

I didn't really have a beef with the Smith decision anymore than this one.

I can see how anyone, even a broncos supporter could have seen it the other way though. But all this nonsense of rigged matches please...

And as for costing the raiders the match, no way.

Anytime someone runs this argument I tell them to re watch origin last year. Qld had every decision go against them in game 3 and still won.

The Raiders are a good club. But as Henry said, they lost primarily due to poor completion of sets in the second half.

In the end as Bennett said, thats football. The Raiders were never winning a semi anyway, and neither will the Broncos.

Some go your way some don't.

Life goes on.

Shorty

Staff member
skeepe said:
All this from someone who didn't watch the game.

Shorty, have you ever heard of momentum? Well, it was all with the Raiders. Carney scored, the score is 19-6 and the Raiders run away with it from there. Instead, the worst video ref decision in the history of decisions is made, and the Broncos score from the resulting set.

Then, the second worst video ref decision in the history of decisions is made. Steve Michaels drops the ball over the line. ALL YEAR these have been called no try. ALL YEAR - except for this one single decision. For reference, see Alan Tongue's "No Try" 4 minutes into the Knights vs Raiders match earlier in the year - far more a try than the one given to Michaels.
Why aren't you going off about every dud call,not just those affecting the Raiders...?
Just quietly what was your opinion on the Jason Smith no try?

skeepe said:
I'm sick to death of hearing this bullsh*t that teams should be good enough to overcome the bad decisions - why should they? Should they not be able to play the game on their own terms? Why must one team overcome the opposition plus the refereeing in order to win, whilst the other must only overcome the opposition?
Why should they?
Um because this is what makes the best NRL teams,this is why Queensland are Origin champions for two years straight.
You're a Queenslander,you watched Origin III.

Yes I've heard of momentum but so what?
What because Michaels scores a blatant no try should you pack up and go home?
No,you keep trying,ref duds a call,keep trying.

Pretty damn simple.

legend

Coach
I seriously hope the Broncos are bundled out of the finals race by dubious refereeing and then we can all come in here and watch them squirm.

lockyrulz

Juniors
legend said:
I seriously hope the Broncos are bundled out of the finals race by dubious refereeing and then we can all come in here and watch them squirm.

I seriously hope you get a life.

If the broncos get that close they will have played with a hell of alot more ball security then the Raiders did today.

JW

Coach
I've got no beef with people questioning the VR decisions today, from either team. Go for your life, the Referees these days are absolutely inept. Nearly every game will contain some controversy with regards to calls from officials and every team has both benefited and been hard done by in the past.

However, what I find hilarious is:

a) Sections of the Raiders contingent suggesting that the Carney VR decision was the only thing that stood between them and certain victory, despite 20 handling errors and so on and so forth. No accountability at all. Teams have been in far worse situations before and have handled themselves better 10 fold.

b) Laughable suggestions from the same contingent that the match was in some way rigged or fixed. In addition, claims that the NRL and it's Referees show a strong bias against the Canberra club and that as a result officials have deliberately influenced the outcomes at the expense of the Raiders of at least 3 games this season, and numerous others in previous seasons. All teams have calls go against them, but it seems that time and time again whenever the Raiders find themselves in this situation and go on to lose they're extremely quick to pin it down to match fixing or the officials having a "pre-conceived plan" as to how a match should unfold. I mean really...

By the way, i'm still waiting to see some reasoning to this theory ie. why the NRL is apparently is out to dud the Raiders. Serious question, despite how hard it is to take such a claim seriously.

Legend, I doubt it. The odds of Brisbane making the finals are still quite long, despite today's win. We'll most likely finish 9th, which is probably deserving for our unacceptable performances at the start of the season when we had pretty much a full compliment of players.

Steven Gerrard

First Grade
Michaels did not have control of the ball. NO TRY. That's a no brainer.
Carney did not play at the ball, he was not even looking at it. He was making a perfectly normal tackle. Even IF the possibility was that he purposley played at it, it can not be proven by the Video Ref. But by not playing at the ball, he then did not knock it on.

If Michael's try got Benifit of the Doubt, then Carney deserves the same treatment. Talk about Double Standards. By disallowing Carneys try, the Video Ref gave possession back to the Broncos and a full set of 6 again, to turn it into a try for them. I'm sick of seeing match after match of dud decisions.

Steven Gerrard

First Grade
innsaneink said:
Raiders lose...ref whinge thread

Some things NEVER change. :lol:

A thread about the Raiders, that has nothing to do with the Tigpies, and innsaneink makes an appearance.

Yep, some things NEVER change.

Shorty

Staff member
Just saw the footage.
That is almost identical to the Jason Smith no try,where's all the outrage from that?!

If we didn't get awarded for a try than the Raiders were never going to,end of story.

Hindyscrack

Bench
Steven Gerrard said:
Michaels did not have control of the ball. NO TRY. That's a no brainer.
Carney did not play at the ball, he was not even looking at it. He was making a perfectly normal tackle. Even IF the possibility was that he purposley played at it, it can not be proven by the Video Ref. But by not playing at the ball, he then did not knock it on.

If Michael's try got Benifit of the Doubt, then Carney deserves the same treatment. Talk about Double Standards. By disallowing Carneys try, the Video Ref gave possession back to the Broncos and a full set of 6 again, to turn it into a try for them. I'm sick of seeing match after match of dud decisions.

Neil Henry shouldnt cop 10k for speaking the truth

Hallatia

Referee
I just think it is unfair that particular teams cop it more than others and particular teams get more calls in their favour *cough* Souths *cough* *cough*

Raiders just like every other team deserve the chance to make it, every team deserves the chance to not make it too and it is completely unfair that Raiders lost the shot at a finals birth because of undeniable dodgey, match changing referee calls

Paullyboy

Coach
All the Bronco fans are trying to justify their hollow victory by stating that the Raiders lost it because of ball control - not the decisions of the ref and video ref.

Well our ball control was absolutely abysmal in the first half and we led 7-6 at the break. So despite our poor play we were still the better team, the only way the Broncos got on top was because of the decisions of the officials ensuring the fairy-tale finish. We could have still kept dropping the ball and been the better team, but the officials played more of a role on the result than any other individual on the field.

Shorty

Staff member
I still haven't heard any Raiders opinions on our no try on Friday?
How is this any different to the Jason Smith no try?

Latest posts