What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The troll Dump thread *insert cool name here*

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
LYON, 20 September - Georgia's sterling efforts at the world cup have sparked an unprecedented wave of interest in the sport at the top of the country's political chain.

Georgia president Mikheil Saakashvili has announced plans to build at least 10 rugby stadiums over the next 12 months.

He also pledged to finance a top-flight competition in recognition of the exposure the IRB Rugby World Cup has given Georgia.

Speaking after his team's valiant 14-10 loss to Ireland on Saturday, Georgia captain Ilia Zedginidze reinforced the need for the country to forge their own championship.

"(Even though) playing in France allows the players to develop themselves really well, and for this we are really grateful to France, in Georgia there are not many structures for rugby to develop," Zedginidze said.

"In the next five years we have to do much more for the internal competition in Georgia."

Aiming for No.1

Zedginidze believes Georgia's improved standing in the international rankings - they've moved up one spot to 16th - is the most important result from the tournament.

"I hope that rugby will become the number-one sport in Georgia," Zedginidze said.

"Now everybody plays football and for our national team we have to choose 30 people out of less than 500 senior players.

"If you look at our younger players, we have some very good 11, 12 and 13 year-olds. They're as good as the French or English boys.

"In the future we will pay more attention to developing that age group so that we can become as strong as the French, English or any of the top sides. That's our objective."

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/home/news/newsid=2010560.html#georgia+earn+presidential+decree

Georgia is jeu à xv's one and only moderately worthwhile link to eastern europe, a region I consider very important to rugby league with countries such "working class" countries as Serbia and Russia forging domestic comps and seeds of growth in Germany, Latvia, Estonia, Ukraine, Tartawhatchamacallitstan. Then again, when a politician, and an eastern european one at that, says they are going to build 10 rugby stadiums, would you believe them? The Georgian's seem to be always chasing money and attention, whether it be from the IRB or the IRLF. Perhaps this is just another ploy.

SteveM

Juniors
No but they beat Spain to qualify and they have several thousand players to choose from - quality over quantity. By the way they have over 30 professionals playing in France at various levels.

SteveM

Juniors
I don't see the point of this thread. RL was NEVER played in Georgia anyway. There was no RL players, clubs, infrastructre - NOTHING.They played one or two internationals with local Union players and that's it.

How can you loose something which you never had in the first place :roll:

roopy

Referee
When they started playing league i had a bit of a search around, and the reason they have taken to the rugby codes easily is because they have a local game that invloves tackling a ball runner - not so much passing by the sound of it - but it sounds like the skills of backyard footy are developed in playgrounds over there.
They only have a small development program for Union, and because it was started by a Frenchman he sent all the guys who looked any good off to France to learn how to play properly.
Their game sounds like a guy has to run with a ball and avoid getting tackled while others try to stop him individually - which sounds a hell of a lot more like the skills of league than the skills of Union to me.
They have a huge traditional rivalry with Russia, as seen by the big crowds they got when they played Russia at League.
Basically all they have is some young blokes with a few rudimentary skills and a tiny Union program.
No reason League couldn't become a force very quickly if Russia showed some interest and we actually get some development money to chuck their way from this WC.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
the anal receiver that knows nothing about what she's talking about Stephie M is back and surprise surprise still knows nothing about what she's talking about.

This forum is the forum for international rugby league and is not the fight club. Go take your anti rugby league there w@nker.

roopy

Referee
about the traditional georgian game of Lelo;

As for Lelo proper, it is a national, free-for-all
ball game, originated before Christ. It was a common
practice to play lelo on Easter, with the priest
involved as ref
In modern form Lelo is played 15-a-side. The ball is
too heavy to throw it a long distance. Lelo is scored
by carrying, throwing, kicking or rolling the ball over
the opposition end-line and it counts for a single point.
Carrying, passing and kicking are unlimited but one can
tackle opposing ball-carrier only above the waist

http://www.geocities.com/ragbis_akido/Maradi/Lelos.htm

jvujosevic

Juniors
Two best Georgian RU players are

Merab Kvirikashvili - fly half

52081.accred.jpg

and Bidzina Samkharadze - scrum half

52080.accred.jpg

both of them played in RL World Cup qualification vs. Serbia and Holland, before that they were in Georgian RU second team.

you can find them on: http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/home/teams/team=720/index.html

and on Georgian RL web site:

http://www.geocities.com/kartuli_liga/English_sources.htm#2005-07-24_RLEF

http://www.geocities.com/kartuli_liga/English_2006.htm#2006-05-14_Serbia

screeny

Bench
Georgia was the RLEF's biggest c**k up. They sent them a pro coach and shot their mouths of about how great Georgia were on the basis of one or two good crowds built on foundations of yoghurt.

You can't take short cuts in developing the game, it would seem. Things have to be done methodically over a long period of time. Georgia was the game's tempting quick-fix nation-in-a-bag, or so the RLEF thought.

roopy

Referee
screeny said:
Georgia was the RLEF's biggest c**k up. They sent them a pro coach and shot their mouths of about how great Georgia were on the basis of one or two good crowds built on foundations of yoghurt.

You can't take short cuts in developing the game, it would seem. Things have to be done methodically over a long period of time. Georgia was the game's tempting quick-fix nation-in-a-bag, or so the RLEF thought.
It didn't work - but it was well and truely worth a shot.
If we have a decent amount of money after the WC and another country with the prospects of Georgia comes up i'd be much unhappier if they passed than if they had a go and failed.

griff

Bench
Yeah I agree, the short-cut was worth a shot. You are probably going to go much easier into a nation and piggyback off an existing RU infrastructure than developing everything from scratch. Who knows, if Georgia had a realistic chance at RLWC qualification they might have stuck with it. As it stands they are better off sticking with RU because they have the payoff of RUWC attendance.

In fact thinking about it that is probably why RU has so many minor nations at the world cup. If it was easier to qualify for the RLWC than the RUWC then minor countries would have an incentive to switch. Right now our RLWC qualification rules give them a disincentive to switch: no chance of making it because our world cup is too small and with too little geographic diversity.

screeny

Bench
Yes, help them, but don't shoot your mouths* of about how great they are when in fact they have done nothing.

Roopy, when you say 'passed' do you mean 'were passed up' as in were ignored by the authorities?

What I'm saying is that we threw money into Georgia based on wishful thinking and our own insecurities. We should stick to our management principles. In fact, I bet a couple of people were worried about their jobs after that debacle as it was really embarrassing for us.

Griff, I don't think you're necessarily right. Look at European development over the past few years. If we take a long term position on development why does it matter if the country has RU or not? WIth good coaching people become decent enough players and after a few years when schools begin these players become very good players. More importantly they become leaguies, in terms of their mindset and loyalties.

Holland tried it with RU failed; Serbia succeeded. Scotland is receding by all accounts; Ireland is improving (although I have my doubts as to the veracity of the game's claims in Ireland). Lebanon tried without RU and succeeded.

I guess it comes down to hard work and patience...

*I mean the RLEF, not roopy and griff.

griff

Bench
screeny said:
Griff, I don't think you're necessarily right. Look at European development over the past few years. If we take a long term position on development why does it matter if the country has RU or not? WIth good coaching people become decent enough players and after a few years when schools begin these players become very good players. More importantly they become leaguies, in terms of their mindset and loyalties.

But for those countries they don't really have that league/union warfare ideology. For them, it is just a different sort of rugby. I think if someone knows and plays rugby it is much easier to get them and say, hey have a go at this kind of rugby. Look how much better it is. If you want to play it, we can organise coaching and tours and world cup qualifiers etc.

In those countries, the whole infrastructure that RU has could easily decide to switch codes. If there are incentives in place for them to do so, then they might do it. Georgia didn't switch and decided to stick with RU because there were incentives for them to stay.

roopy

Referee
screeny said:
Roopy, when you say 'passed' do you mean 'were passed up' as in were ignored by the authorities?
yes.
Maybe it is a local thing - but the word 'pass' is close to interchangeable with 'No thanks' in Bonnells Bay (pop. 500)

screeny

Bench
griff said:
But for those countries they don't really have that league/union warfare ideology. For them, it is just a different sort of rugby. I think if someone knows and plays rugby it is much easier to get them and say, hey have a go at this kind of rugby. Look how much better it is. If you want to play it, we can organise coaching and tours and world cup qualifiers etc.

In those countries, the whole infrastructure that RU has could easily decide to switch codes. If there are incentives in place for them to do so, then they might do it. Georgia didn't switch and decided to stick with RU because there were incentives for them to stay.

I think you're being naive or are in denial, my friend: the Dutch RU didn't help Yanto, and there are documented instances of the Irish RU trying to prevent players from playing RL. Even Germany has problems with the RU coach entering their changing room threatening bans! Wherever there's both codes, there's conflict in my opinion as they're simply vying for a share of the same market.

As for an entire nation switching codes, why would they, so they can give up the $$$ handed to them by the rah rah pigs for our better rule book, superior moral history and shinier kits?

SteveM

Juniors
The Georgian RL situatuion is just a joke and the RLIF shound be embrassed about it.

Taking some RU players and forming an international RL side is not development. It pathetic.

Sam_the_woman - Are you telling me I am wrong ?. You clearly have no clue and believe everything you read about the "exciting development in international RL".

roopy

Referee
SteveM said:
The Georgian RL situatuion is just a joke and the RLIF shound be embrassed about it.

Taking some RU players and forming an international RL side is not development. It pathetic.

Sam_the_woman - Are you telling me I am wrong ?. You clearly have no clue and believe everything you read about the "exciting development in international RL".
Georgia have a union coach, Richard Ale, who is a Tongan with experience in League.
The whole Georgian League thing came from him.
He asked for a small amount of money and said he had the players to get a side together - and he delivered on that promice.
The thing that killed it off is that they thought they could cruise through qualifiers for the League world cup like they do for the union world cup - but had their arses handed to them by Russia - who - unlike minor Union international sides - can play footy.

They are number 16 in the world at Union - but the same players would be no hope of making a 16 team league world cup.

They have decided to keep playing Union over League is because they arn't good enough to play league.

griff

Bench
screeny said:
I think you're being naive or are in denial, my friend: the Dutch RU didn't help Yanto, and there are documented instances of the Irish RU trying to prevent players from playing RL. Even Germany has problems with the RU coach entering their changing room threatening bans! Wherever there's both codes, there's conflict in my opinion as they're simply vying for a share of the same market.

As for an entire nation switching codes, why would they, so they can give up the $$$ handed to them by the rah rah pigs for our better rule book, superior moral history and shinier kits?

I'm not saying the RU big wigs would help a potential rival. Of course they wouldn't. But if you went in the front door with the right incentives, it could work.

What about Estonia for example, where the Estonian Federation has made moves to run both a RU and RL team? That is a potential model to follow. Why couldn't the Georgian Rugby Federation could put a team into both RU and RL qualifiers if we asked them to?