What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lockyer v Johns

8Ball

First Grade
Lockyer was the perfect fullback and a brilliant 5/8th

Johns was the perfect halfback.

Both are legends. I'd like to see how many threads have been titled "Johns v Lockyer" or "Lockyer v Johns in the forums history.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Lockyer was the perfect fullback and a brilliant 5/8th

Johns was the perfect halfback.

Both are legends. I'd like to see how many threads have been titled "Johns v Lockyer" or "Lockyer v Johns in the forums history.

Is that the same Lockyer - the Maori speedhump?

The same Lockyer, who took 3 years to master the pivot job?

John's success in an Origin jumper shits on Heather's.

And Johns never came off the bench. He may have had to play hooker due to an exceedingly intimate relatoinship between Opes and Noddy, but he ended up being the best hooker in Origin history when he did.

adamkungl

Immortal
Call me biased but Fittler would be up there with Lockyer. Both Freddy and Lockyer slightly outclassed by Johns probably.

8Ball

First Grade
And Lockyer's success in an Australian jumper shits on Johns'.

Yes, that same Lockyer who would easily be the best fullback in the last 20 or 30 years, despite only playing there until 26.

And the best hooker in origin history when he did?:crazy:

icewind

Juniors
Is that the same Lockyer - the Maori speedhump?

The same Lockyer, who took 3 years to master the pivot job?

John's success in an Origin jumper shits on Heather's.

And Johns never came off the bench. He may have had to play hooker due to an exceedingly intimate relatoinship between Opes and Noddy, but he ended up being the best hooker in Origin history when he did.

off the bench, Game 2 and Game 3 2000. Also, I thought he came off the bench game 2 2005?

icewind

Juniors
Call me biased but Fittler would be up there with Lockyer. Both Freddy and Lockyer slightly outclassed by Johns probably.

Lockyer > Fittler

Johns is the best halfback for NSW origin ever. Lockyer the best fullback, and 2nd best 5/8 for Qld origin, ever.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
**** some ppl on here are biased.

I reckon theyre both awesome, but for different situations. Those who obviously underrate lockyer, haven't seen enough tests... Regardless, i agree pretty much with someone's long list from before, but i would suggest Locky's kicking game & playmaking is not as far behind johns' as many would believe + his RL brain is as good, just was primed for FB rather than HB. If locky had played FB his entire career, this thread would be even more contentious as i don't think youd be able to split them.

OK, to summarise the whole ecstasy thing for idiots who said "ohh johns was peakin it doesn't count"... there are 2 viewpoints;

What he admitted to taking, wasn't performance enhancing and what (i will keep this to myself) he probably took wasn't either, however as someone else mentioned... if they acted as a stabiliser for someone who couldn't hack the pressure, its still an unfair advantage. I mean as much as i hate the ****, Lyon moved to england and even quit RL temporarily instead of turning to drugs, so on that count, yes it is cheating. However, in no way would it enhance performance.

thenry

Juniors
But seriously though, Lockyer owned 2 games of the 2001 origin series from fullback. Surely that's harder than owning from halfback where the ball is in your hands every 2nd tackle? And he was pretty handy in 2002 and 2006 as well IIRC......

8Ball

First Grade
He played the 2003 ashes series at fullback. Rep-performance wise, the 2004 tri nations final, he looked about 6 classes above everyone else.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
He played the 2003 ashes series at fullback. Rep-performance wise, the 2004 tri nations final, he looked about 6 classes above everyone else.

yeah your right, sorry i remember the halves were kimmorely and barrett? or something like that.

RABK

Referee
LOL.

Seriously Lockyer is a great footballer, probably sitting in between 40-60th in the list of the greatest 100 of the century.

Johns sits first on that list as the halfback of the team of the century. There is no higher accolade in the history of the game then the one Johns received. He has achieved more then anyone in the history of the game. No one would come close to the ticks Johns has received in the 'achieved' column.

You'll see maybe another 30 or 40 players of Lockyers class in the next century. You might only see one or two with the class of Johns.

RABK

Referee
Oh and might a point out that Lockyer has dominated in tests, but the opposition is akin to him playing for the Broncos against Souths. It really is not that hard to stand out in a very mediocre standard test.

Only two players ever had the ability to have an Origin game on a string - Lewis and Johns. Any player compared to those two is just been embarrassed.

Latest posts