What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peanuts may not be around next season

abpanther

Staff member
In the Fairfax website this morning: http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...ke-of-stabbings/2008/06/12/1212863836870.html

"Each time you see Frank Pritchard in a burst of brutality or brilliance, appreciate it, because the international back-rower was a heartbeat from quitting rugby league.

Penrith's most destructive forward reassessed life and his priorities after seeing younger brother Tom stabbed and then nearly die early last year, and now says he couldn't care less if his league career ends prematurely.

"If footy isn't there for me tomorrow, I couldn't give a ********," Pritchard said. "I will find another job to put food on the table for my family.

"I don't really hold it high up there. When you lose someone in your family or come close, it puts everything in perspective. I don't think I've told anyone else this, but I was so close to quitting, I was going to walk away from the game. If my brother had died, I would have definitely retired and gone back to Samoa to live."

Tom was stabbed four times, once in the heart, during a street brawl that involved Frank and other members of the Pritchard family on February 17 last year. Frank also suffered a stab wound. He had to watch his brother cling to life on that Liverpool street, and then in the hospital as doctors desperately worked to save his life.

Tom eventually recovered and recently celebrated the birth of his first child, and Frank believes his family has gained strength through the experience.

"My brother nearly got killed, those things happen very rarely," the 24-year-old said. "For me to come back to the game, it was pretty hard. My family, we are over that hurdle. I think we can look back on that and say we have become a lot stronger. [Tom] has got a little one now, he is living every day as if it's his last, that's his mentality."

Pritchard also has his issues, with the Panthers, who convinced him to see out this season after he wanted a release earlier this year. The issues - reportedly about workload, pay and the direction of coaching - remain unresolved but will be dealt with after the season ends.

"For me, it's about being happy and my family being happy," Pritchard said. "They talk about loyalty in this game but I think it's far from that. Loyalty is a two-way street, and these days it's more like a business for the club.

"I have let the club know. I have given the club their chance, I have given my family a chance. The club has been good to me and at the end of the day I wouldn't want to leave on bad terms. I am trying to be professional about everything.

"A lot of things were said and done at the beginning of the year but I've put that to the side and we'll deal with it at the end of the year. I told them I would see out this year."

So important is Pritchard to Penrith he has been credited with winning games almost single-handedly, but with that has come the weight of expectation which is part of his grievance.

The Kiwi Test player began the season quietly, but has returned to his best form of late and will be a key figure in tonight's match against the Roosters.

"There was a build-up of pressure on game performance. I wasn't enjoying it, I was turning up to training and going through the motions," he said.

"I just found myself not being happy and thought I needed to get away. I think there was a lot of hype, it got to a lot of people, and the expectations I had on myself were much too high.

"Now I've got my head around it and I'm just trying to play consistently. I started the season slow but now I'm happy with the way I'm playing."

Pritchard, who recently started a steam-cleaning business, remains for now in the business of steam-rolling opposing NRL sides.

For how long is a matter for Penrith to worry about, because Pritchard has more important things on his mind."

Gee some worrying comments in this article, seems like there are some issues that remain unresolved, would hate to lose him as he has been one of our best this season.

Last edited by a moderator:

maple_69

Bench
God he certainly is passionate about League...
I understand the Tom thing was traumatic and everything but I would of thought quitting League wouldn't have helped anything. He is getting paid a whole lot more than he'd be making out of steam cleaning clothes.

Would leave an enormous hole in our game. I'd say Lewis/Blair would have to shift to the backrow/lock full time to cover for that loss. Hope he stays.

Kilkenny

Coach
Frank Pritchard remains an enigma.

Should be one of the games elite players but for one reason or another he simply doesnt deliver the goods often enough for mine.

murraymob

First Grade
i would have no problem if he wanted to leave. If ever he needed to stand up and be counted it was against the rooters.But he was missing again .We pay him in the 380k range but he plays in the 220k range.With young kids like blackburn ,orton that money would secure both the kids long term plus maybe go part towards a third

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Also

Kiwis star would welcome Warriors offer

Frank Pritchard one of the best second-rowers in the NRL has let the cat out of the bag and revealed he could see himself playing for the Warriors in 2010.
The star Panther made headlines earlier in the year after admitting he wanted to be released by Penrith at the end of the season.
His contract expires at the end of 2009 and Panthers bosses have made it clear he will not be allowed to go early.
But last night the 24-year-old said he would consider moving to Auckland in 2010 if a good offer came from the Warriors.
"I'd definitely consider an offer from the Warriors if one came my way," Pritchard told Sunday News.
"To go back home to New Zealand to live for a while is something I would love to do.
"I'd have to think carefully about it before making a decision but the Warriors are a good team, a strong club and I have a lot of family back in New Zealand.
"Anything could happen."
Speaking about the rumours which surfaced in early April, Pritchard admitted he had been unhappy at Penrith and had sought a release from the club.
"I have to admit, a couple of months ago I was upset with how things were going at the Panthers and I didn't really want to be here," he said.
"I think I've found my feet again.
"Things have been a bit tough off the field and that took a toll on me.
"At this stage, I am going to stick with the Panthers until at least the end of next year and see what happens after that."
If the Warriors don't come calling, the star Kiwis hard man says he will probably look to ply his trade in the English Super League.
"For me, it would be good to finish my career here at the Panthers but at the same time, I guess I can see myself playing the back-end of my career in England," Pritchard said.
Warriors boss Wayne Scurrah refuses to comment on individual recruitment discussions but in April told Sunday News Pritchard was the sort of player a spate of clubs his own included would be keen to have.
"Frank is an international player and one that would be attractive to a lot of clubs," Scurrah said at the time.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4584697a10713.html

The Nature Boy

Juniors
Pritchard doesn't know what he wants:? he changes his mind more than i change my underware and thats daily.
First he wants out ,then he wants to play for the all blacks, then he wants to stay at Penrith and captain them in the future ,then he wants to go to England, then he wants to retire early .whats his next decision play soccor for australia in the wolrd cup:eek:.
Players like him need to be told with a firm hand that your going no where and you are going to see out you contract and thats all there is to it.

Dave Q

Coach
I'm going to book peanuts in to do the carpets on the morning he next plays.

Before he comes, I'm going to sprinkle the house with some homemade dru moonshine.

When he takes the field later in the day, he'll be so off his head he will:

1. Have a blinder
2. Re-sign for the rest of his career for what hes actually worth ( circa $70K a season)
3. Pick up his manager and spear-tackle him into the CUA shower concrete.

All this for only $20 a room.

For heavens sake Frank STFU and play.

Pantha-Boy

Juniors
I would hate too see him go to NZW. He would be the standout layer and they would be getting flogged every week.

Latest posts