What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gippsland Rugby League

joshreading

Staff member
As most are aware there was a full Gippsland Rugby league Competition which has since pretty much disolved. Is anyone aware of anything being done to revive it???

I think they need to create a Victorian Comp out of the top Melbourne Clubs and some country sides (eg. Albury Wodonga and Gippsland) and even if they can't get a full side comp going in Gippsland get a Nine a side comp up and running.

Any thoughts on what to do with Vic???

Alan Shore

First Grade
The Gippsland Storm (renamed from the Wildcats at the start of this year) participate in the VRL Division 2 competition. Their home games are played at Maryvale, near the Amcor/PaperlinX Paper Mill, north of Morwell.

There was a full-scale Gippsland competition up until the end of 2002. I have a contact from the GRL, who incidentally is also a VRL Commissioner, and the reason for the dissolving of the Gippsland comp was due to clubs not heeding calls to form juniors.

joshreading

Staff member
That is all fine in theory but where are the Gippsland Storm juniors? I know quite a few people in Lakes Entrance, Bairnesdale I think that you could get something going, even if it were actually a Gippsland Schools Rugby League Comp.

I know a number in Lakes that would play for their School, one of the kids, his Step Dad played for Manly. I am sure he would get involved.

Alan Shore

First Grade
Are you in Gippsland, josh? I know at least 5 people, without actively trying, who would definently play juniors for Traralgon if it existed.

joshreading

Staff member
I live just above the border however I pend time down near, Lakes Orbost etc (East Gipps) fairly regularly.

I have thought for a while that Gippsland Rugby league should run a Nines tournament over a weekend and invite in particular the NSW South Coast Teams (group 16) Melbourne teams and maybe Canberra teams.

If you can link Rugby League from Eden in the South of NSW through to Gippsland strongly we start to move south and I think make the area consistent.

Alan Shore

First Grade
The only problem is distance. The road from Bairnsdle to Cann River is windy and I hate travelling it. Players are unlikely to want to constantly travel that distance, unless you have a two conference league due to the geographical constraints which seems like a good idea to me. For example, Morwell players won't want to go to Bairnsdale as it is.

There used to be a schools comp.

I played for Sale College in the mid 90s against Traralgon High and Kurnai College.

But, as said - the distances are too great for a regular comp between Gippsland sides and Sapphire Coast sides..... Bairnsdale/Lakes to Eden takes 2-3 hours one way, and it's be closer to 4-5 for sides from the Latrobe Valley.

If you wanted to do it, you'd be better off trying to start a three or four team 9s comp in the Morwell/Traralgon area, then dragging in Sale (particularly because there's a RAAF base) and maybe Bairnsdale.

The only schools who played were Sale College, Traralgon High and Kurnai (state high school in Morwell). It was a once-a-year round robin thing - we got a day off school for it.

The winner of those three (which was us both years I can remember it going on) then went down to Melbourne and played some city schools.

Alan Shore

First Grade
Should try and get some of the private schools there in - they have the more influential country people without having an ingrained Yawnyawn culture. I'm talking about St Paul's Warragul and Gippsland Grammar.

Forget St Pauls and St Annes Gippy Grammar.

Gippsland Grammar would have maybe 200 kids these days - and holds no influence whatsoever. St P's isn't doing much better.

The schools to tap into down in Gippsland are the state and catholic system.

Alan Shore

First Grade
Gippsland Grammar is going down the gutter, I completely agree. I was only targeting it because the families connected it would probably be better off.

I have to disagree with St Paul's, though. It is the fastest growing private school in the state and boasts over 1,000 students. Add to the fact that those sorts of schools push for co-curricular participation, there is a potential for rugby league there.

If Sale College, Kurnai and Traralgon Secondary have played league previously, it should be fairly easy to get them playing again.

Jeffles

Bench
Rleague reports that injuries have ravaged Gippsland's side and that they are in danger of withdrawing this year.

Tamazoid, how did the meeting go?

Alan Shore

First Grade
That report was written by me, Jeffles :D

I'm not sure about how the meeting went as I'm based in the city during the week and return to Traralgon Friday nights. I'll let you know what happens when I get in touch with the secretary.

Jeffles

Bench
I knew you wqrote the bloody article. Your nickname and your surname are too close not to deduce that.

Keep us posted.

Alan Shore

First Grade
Ah, so someone worked out the connection!

I still haven't been able to get in touch with Kiri Hiriaki, however the Latrobe Valley Express reported that there was a good chance of league dying in the greater Gippsland area. This was due to a shortage of players, as the VRL were poor in organising the draw so most of the 30 or so who were interested dropped off due to the poor organisation. Failure to form decent juniors and rising costs associated with playing are also being blamed. In all likelihood I'd think RL will wind up for 2004.

Azzafromqld

Juniors
The Gippsland Storm (renamed from the Wildcats at the start of this year) participate in the VRL Division 2 competition. Their home games are played at Maryvale, near the Amcor/PaperlinX Paper Mill, north of Morwell.

There was a full-scale Gippsland competition up until the end of 2002. I have a contact from the GRL, who incidentally is also a VRL Commissioner, and the reason for the dissolving of the Gippsland comp was due to clubs not heeding calls to form juniors.
You got the wrong ground for a start buddy, wildcat's/storms home ground was in Morwell itself and the reason the club folded was at the AGM the Hiriaki family was voted out as President and Secretary of the club so they destroyed any chance of getting another club started after telling the council to get stuffed, told our sponsors The crown hotel to get stuffed and sold off all the players kits then they pissed off to Geelong and started another club.
Me and my 2 brothers played for Storm/Wildcat's until it's demise

Latest posts