What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eel Eric Grothe Jr told to find new home

bartman

Immortal
I reackon Eric should dig his heals in and force the club to honour his contract.
That wouldn't require any digging heels at all. Eric is perfectly entitled to run around for Wenty earning whatever he is earning for the rest of his contract if he wants. The quote from Hages basically says that.

I don't think he'll look to England, makes much more sense for him to just do that at Wenty, stay on the same money, and keep the band together instead of relocating.

We're presuming Eric isn't happy with this outcome, and maybe since he didn't regain form enough to get another go back in NRL (or got injured first) this is the club's way of saying that he won't automatically get catapulted into the side next year, unless he really owns that VB Cup competition. It then becomes Eric's choice what to do, which I think is more honest of the club than to keep him shackled with false promises that he might in contention for a starting spot next year etc.

Avenger

Immortal
f**k this "defensive issues" bullsh*t. Neither tautai nor Williams have the ability to defend any better than Grothe.

The problem is Hagan. It has been known for years that Grothe is a power runner and not a sprinter and as such has problems turning and chasing. So what does Hagan do? Makes him stand 20m in from the sideline, basically telling the opposition to kick behind him and be awarded a try.

Instead of ditching him because he has one deficiency, why not set our defensive line so that our deficiencies aren't easily exploited? Oh, I forgot, that takes someone with brains who can think without Andrew Johns.

Unfortunately, we're stuck with Hagan.

But wait, there's more. Hagan will not be here beyond next year, but Grothe has a contract that extends beyond that. So why is Hagan given the freedom to let go of players when he himself has no future here?

Everyone wants Anderson, right? Well, what if one of the first thing Anderson says is, "Gee, I wish Grothe hadn't have been let go. I could have covered for his slow turn quite easily and we'll really miss his power running and aggressive attitude."

Hagan, who is little more than a lame duck waiting to be picked up by the dogs, should have no right to make any decisions in relation to our roster.

21 August 2008, the day I agreed with HJ.

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
If you're not good enough as a footballer, regardless of your reputation (which he seemed to be running on for a lot of the time) then you don't deserve to be playing first grade. Simple.

No use blaming the coach (as some of you are doing) he has to decide what is best for the rosters, and not platy favorites.

Eric's obviously not pulling up his socks so he got rightly demoted and will have to do ten times better if he wants to stay, that's football.

eel4life

Juniors
question i have is with the club itself ... why now and and again we lose out ... how many players do we need to lose so we can get some quality with what young talent we have.

i mean we lose williams due to cap yet we are now wanting to release grothe, we couldnt make an offer for kafusi and cause of moimoi ...

This is really disappointing. Especially as Hagan at first said Guru was only being dropped to find his form.... We haven't seen him since! He did the right thing and turned up for Wenty each week, yet he persisted with the same mediocre backline for how long? And is blooding Tony Williams for Manly instead.

Hagan is just continually disappointing, and obviously has a set against Guru. I guess he's one of those players some coaches can't handle.

Also his reasoning 'we have Tautai and Reddy' how pathetic. Tautai has had only a handful of half decent games all year.

This is spot on. Really, why are we giving Manly 10 games of 1st grade experience for a bloke who is still bloody in the middle??

Tony Willams isn't a wingers arsehole, yet we, on the behalf of Manly, are easing him gently into first grade at the expense of a bloke who's performances admittedly were average, but not too different from his replacement, who happens to be offski...

Ron Jeremy

Coach
lol..so??

we know what he's capable of fishy, but apparently our coaching staff can't fix the only deficiency he has in his game.

No one can fix his problems, he had the same problems believe it or not at junior level, how do i know? i scored two tries on him one day as his opposing centre:lol: and that's a fair dinkum story!

diab0lik

Juniors
Eel can put feelers out but Grothe wants to stay

Glenn Jackson and Greg Prichard | August 22, 2008

WINGER Eric Grothe will attempt to dig his heels in at Parramatta even though the Eels are prepared to cut ties with one of the club's most famous names.
Grothe's manager, Roy Spagnolo, said last night his client, who has been given permission to negotiate with other clubs, was happy staying at the Eels and wanted to "fight his way back" into first grade.
"At this stage, he's not going anywhere," Spagnolo said. "He's happy to stay where he is."
It is believed the Eels inquired about whether Grothe, who has two more years remaining on his current deal with the club, would be prepared to move after a column item appeared in a magazine linking him with English giants Wigan.
Grothe, the 28-year-old son of the legendary Parramatta winger of the same name, was dropped from first grade in June to feeder side Wentworthville but has been sidelined with a back injury.
"There's been no real discussion," Spagnolo said. "It was just an inquiry from them. No one's really sat down and spoken to Eric. It's just been in passing. But he's committed to staying where he is and he's ready to fight his way back."
Parramatta chief executive Denis Fitzgerald said the club would honour Grothe's contract should he stay firm.
"We've given him permission to talk to other clubs," Fitzgerald said. "Nothing's changed. If he can't find another club he's with us."
Former Eels centre Mick Cronin, a teammate of Eric snr, encouraged Grothe to attempt a return.
Asked about the prospect of Grothe being cut by the club, Cronin said: "It would be sad to see it happen, but it's the nature of the beast, isn't it?
"I would gather it's not something the club particularly wants to do. His father has got a big history. But I hope he comes back and tries to prove a point. There's no doubt there's talent there."
Meanwhile, Mathew Head is edging closer to a remarkable return to St George Illawarra after the Dragons confirmed their interest in the halfback.
Head is believed to have already told Wests Tigers officials that he will be leaving the club at the end of the season for the Dragons. Head played with the Dragons for five seasons, but his time there was marred by a succession of injury problems. He is almost certain to have played his last game for the Tigers even if the club is able to grab an unlikely finals berth.
North Queensland yesterday signed Melbourne prop Antonio Kaufusi to a three-year deal. The former Queensland and Australian representative was contracted to the Storm until the end of next season, but was told he was free to negotiate, and the Bundaberg product opted for a return to his home state.
Manly coach Des Hasler has pencilled in injured five-eighth Jamie Lyon to return in the final round. The former representative star suffered medial ligament damage in the round-19 win over Parramatta at Brookvale Oval.
Lyon's defence and his playmaking ability have been missed, with Manly losing three out of four games while he has been out.
"Jamie's coming along well," Hasler said yesterday. "He's started running again. He's no hope of playing this weekend and we're not looking at him for the following round.
"We've always had the last-round game against Penrith as the aim and because his recovery has been good it's set to turn out that way now."
Barring injuries to other regulars between now and the finals and factoring in Lyon's anticipated return, the Sea Eagles could go into the finals with a full squad for Hasler to consider.

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/grothe-wants-to-stay/2008/08/21/1219262414036.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Ron Jeremy

Coach
People jut remember Eric is on pretty good money also apparently, he's not versatile, has huge deficencies in his game wich have never and probably cannot be rectified.

The problem with Eric has always been his attention to detail and lacks commonsense as a player, imo these can never be rectified, it's basically up to an individual. He has had these problems since day 1, had various coaches yet couldn't help him, he plays fg nothing will change imo.

bradeel

Juniors
good onya Eric. Hope he makes it back. I'd love to see him get a run ahead of Tony Williams this season for starters.

Stagger eel

Staff member
No one can fix his problems, he had the same problems believe it or not at junior level, how do i know? i scored two tries on him one day as his opposing centre:lol: and that's a fair dinkum story!

but hold on..wasn't it Ben smith's fault?

Ron Jeremy

Coach
but hold on..wasn't it Ben smith's fault?

No, I was just too skillful for him:cool:

That day all i remember was the first time i went to tackle him he threw me off, amazing upper body strength,embarrased the sh*t out of me, the next time i knew i had to go low, got him a great tackle in the ribs, then i scored two tries both hitting holes right through him, he was useless then, and i was a lock only at centre cause our best centre was injured:lol:

Stagger eel

Staff member
No, I was just too skillful for him:cool:

That day all i remember was the first time i went to tackle him he threw me off, amazing upper body strength,embarrased the sh*t out of me, the next time i knew i had to go low, got him a great tackle in the ribs, then i scored two tries both hitting holes right through him, he was useless then, and i was a lock only at centre cause our best centre was injured:lol:

lol.. your claim to fame. ;-)

Ron Jeremy

Coach
No actually there is a better story, I played for Chester Hill nd one day we played St CristophersMark Riddells side. I had a huge first half, was making breaks and yeards everytime i ran it up, i think we led by 30 at H/T, anyway, my first hit-up after H/T Riddell got me with a high tackle right across my nose, deadset he would've got 8 weeks for it ifit were NRL, i had blood pissing out of my nose and too this day was the only time i've ever had some sort of concussion on the field, thank you piggy lol

Stagger eel

Staff member
No actually there is a better story, I played for Chester Hill nd one day we played St CristophersMark Riddells side. I had a huge first half, was making breaks and yeards everytime i ran it up, i think we led by 30 at H/T, anyway, my first hit-up after H/T Riddell got me with a high tackle right across my nose, deadset he would've got 8 weeks for it ifit were NRL, i had blood pissing out of my nose and too this day was the only time i've ever had some sort of concussion on the field, thank you piggy lol

yaaaawwnn...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!....sh*t, sorry ron what were you saying???

Gronk

Staff member
Success comes from hard work and focus. Does he want it bad enough ?

Latest posts