What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sydney to Canberra by Train

I want to support Scotland at the 26 Oct 08 17:25 Canberra Stadium Scotland v France World Cup match. I want to go from Sydney (Central) to Canberra by train. How long would a train take? How far is Canberra Stadium away from the station, do i need to catch a bus? How frequent are trains back to Sydney, im going to the opening ceremony the following night.

Steven Gerrard

First Grade
I believe the train can take up to 4 hours
Your best option is a Greyhound Bus. Sydney Central to Canberra City Centre. Not sure if there is game day buses from Civic or not though.

shear_joy9

Coach
definately go by bus.

Buses from Sydney stop at the Jolimount centre in Civic, which is about a 5 minute to the bus stop that goes to Canberra Stadium.

buses to and from the game will probably be free aswell.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
Was meant to catch the XPT to Canberra last year from Central but they were doing track work so we had to catch their bus instead

The Stadium is not that far from the station, however you'd have to catch a bus there

Check out the canberra buses website

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
The train between Sydney and Canberra is atrocious. There always seems to be trackwork and the train goes far too slow. The fact that it takes 1.5 hours between Goulburn and Canberra is astounding, it's only about a 50 minute drive. For a rail link to the national capital it is an absolute disgrace.

Then again, that's what you get for a country with cheap petrol...

Brookie

Juniors
have done this trip many a time.

bus is definitley quicker, but the buses are crud.
at least on the train you can get up, walk around and get a feed/newspaper. more than one toilet too. train is also better if you'd like to 'get on it' on the way home!

Last edited:

innsaneink

Referee
have done this trip many a time.

bus is definitley quicker, but the buses are crud.
at least on the train you can get up, walk around and get a feed/newspaper. more than one toilet too. train is also better if you'd like to 'get on it' on the way home!

Yes!
You can drink.
Dont matter how long it takes then.
Done that trip a few times too....always found a sense of irony in leaving canberra sober and arriving in sydney 3/4 cut.

mave

Coach
Greyhound advertise $15 one way trips from Canberra to Sydney up to 6 times a day.

Last edited:

St. Brett

Juniors
Yer don't get the 12pm Explorer train as that drops you off at Canberra and it's out in the middle of no where.

Bruce is something like west of town and the only thing out there is the actual stadium and nothing else.

Don't get lost in the maze-like complex of Hospitals either.

God knows where the shopping centres are.

And beware of the black hills blair witch and hillbillies that want to put you in a large serving cooking pot.

MSKnight

Juniors
Country Link is pretty cool. I went from Sydney to Taree last year and it was very good. Service is very nice too.

You think 6 hours is alot, but going through Gosford and Newcastle is very pleasing and time flies.

As for Canberra, I am sure it will also be a nice trip.

You would need to go to Strathfield Station though early in the morning (Have your ticket already booked) and stay in Canberra for the night though.

Only one train per day goes down there, and returns.

Loz

Juniors
Murrays Coaches would be the way to go IMHO. Cheaper, nicer coaches than Greyhound and they do a few Syd - Can runs per day. You also will end up in the centre of Canberra and closer to the public transport hub. The city is closer to Bruce than Kingston (Canberra train station location).

Latest posts