What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Elliotts Successor named ?

Caged Panther

First Grade
interestingly enough someone (other than murraymob) has mentioned this rumour on PI. My guess is if it's genuinelly the case we'll hear about it in the week after our final game.

mxlegend99

Referee
I mentioned it on the PI website, but there's no way that Matt Elliott would leave the Panthers unless we get rid of him.

He is on great money at the Panthers, and he has been found out to be a fraud. Everyone thought he was a great coach at the Raiders, being held back by the player roster that he had... When he was actually holding them back.

I hope that i'm wrong. But why would anyone leave a job that they are terrible at and getting paid $400k a season to do? He has no right to be upset at the politics inside the club... everything that is happening is a result of his failure as a coach.

Caged Panther

First Grade
I hope that i'm wrong. But why would anyone leave a job that they are terrible at and getting paid $400k a season to do?

Money isn't everything mate. Can you imagine walking into a job everyday where a good number of the people you work with hate your guts?

I'm not saying I disagree with your point of view just putting it out there that maybe as much as Elliott seems to be taking a toll on the players, the players might be taking a toll on Elliott.

As I said either way I don't think it'll be to long before we know the answer one way or another.

mxlegend99

Referee
I hope the rumour is true. It just seems too good to be true. If i were in his position, i wouldn't be leaving a job that pays that well. Although given my love for the Panthers, i'd be hating myself if i was driving the club into the ground like he is.

Dave Q

Coach
Money isn't everything mate. Can you imagine walking into a job everyday where a good number of the people you work with hate your guts?

Isnt that part of normal working life?

I think ME is only a part of the panther's problems.

At the end of the day, a lot of players didnt put their hands up and there has not been enough good players brought in from other clubs.

The Panthers must be one of the only clubs where a 24 year old can feel like a veteren.

The policy must be to buy a core group of good players (not just one) with hardened league experience backed up with youth power. That means letting some young and older talent go.

The Panthers didnt have a poor year, it just wasnt remarkable. A nice humble settling year. Better than last year.

But are the signs there for next year? ATM, I dont think so.

choc_soldier

Coach
Elliott is on the nose with the fans - read the numerous threads on PI.

A mate who works at the club revealed to me the other week that the club only has around 2300 members, which is one of the worst in the NRL. If Elliott is on board for 2009, watch for that already alarmingly low number to dip even further south.

murraymob

First Grade
choc that mate who works for the club has he appeared in any promos for the club and like to be known as hollywood

Caged Panther

First Grade
Elliott is on the nose with the fans - read the numerous threads on PI.

No doubt, I mentioned in the game day thread that even going back to the old guest book days I had never seen such a unified voice on that site over an issue as I have on the desire to see Elliott gone.

I reckon public opinion is going about 90-95% against elliot.

maple_69

Bench
Well I'd normally say, PI is a microcosm and doesn't represent all Penrith's fans, and largely represents the hardcore fans so it does present a slightly skewed perspective. But these fans are the ones who probably invest the most time and money into the club, have the most emotional interest in the club, and as such despite an inability to see behind closed doors as WANKERS continually argue, these fans typically have the best understanding of the club. While there is an emotional and unrational attachment, I think its just insane to ignore these fans.

If the club was not in financial strife I have no doubt Elliott would be gone, but either way I think from a financial standpoint, we're going to lose a lot more money than we gain by not sacking Elliott.

Average crowds go down another 2000. 2000x12=24000. 24000x20 (Probably minimum spend)=480000. 480000=Around Elliott's contract. Someone needs to do the math and step in.

Dave Q

Coach
Well I'd normally say, PI is a microcosm and doesn't represent all Penrith's fans, and largely represents the hardcore fans so it does present a slightly skewed perspective. But these fans are the ones who probably invest the most time and money into the club, have the most emotional interest in the club, and as such despite an inability to see behind closed doors as WANKERS continually argue, these fans typically have the best understanding of the club. While there is an emotional and unrational attachment, I think its just insane to ignore these fans.

If the club was not in financial strife I have no doubt Elliott would be gone, but either way I think from a financial standpoint, we're going to lose a lot more money than we gain by not sacking Elliott.

Average crowds go down another 2000. 2000x12=24000. 24000x20 (Probably minimum spend)=480000. 480000=Around Elliott's contract. Someone needs to do the math and step in.

Thats a very insightful post maple.

PI fans arent always rational but they do invest time and are more likely to invest in the club and its merchandise.

So their opinions should be given some additional weight.

But the heirachy has never been one to jump to on popular opinion and to some extent, it shouldnt.

But its the centralised power that resists new thinking. Too many interests to protect. People are protecting their livelyhood and way of life.

Elliot was a little more than a gayly attired pony trotted out to give the impression something was happening, but at the end of the day, it was same old faces in the shadows making the vital ( wrong ) decisions.

Sons and daughters of our beloved Penrith player catchment, how long will you let this go on for?

murraymob

First Grade
yes its the same person.He is our answer to Russell Crowe .Appearing in the fan ad for penrith.Forever to be known as Hollywood

Fibroman

First Grade
Our lack of ability to attract quality players from other clubs, and retain players in key positions speaks volumes about the club.

Penrith is a good town to live in. There is no reason why a good young player shouldn't want to come and play at the foot of the mountains.

Avenger

Immortal
Can I aske the Panthers fans a serious question ?

Would you swap Elliott for Hagan ? (A swap deal and the only choice. )

Dave Q

Coach
Our lack of ability to attract quality players from other clubs, and retain players in key positions speaks volumes about the club.

Penrith is a good town to live in. There is no reason why a good young player shouldn't want to come and play at the foot of the mountains.

Thats another good point Fibs.

To secure the good players, the club has to be able to offer them experiences, knowledge, contacts and skills that players will appreciate.

The club has to have offer that point of difference over competitors.

Professional Rugby League these days is very much a lifestyle type job. Its all-consuming,its tough and unforgiving.

Money is important but so is how you are treated on the ground.

We all recall that ME turned up playing the hard general patton type and that didnt wash with a number of players of influence and my guess is that he now has half the squad he thought he'd have.

Penrith has to become a "cool club" to be at different levels.

Our region is young, vibrant, alive and going through major social changes.

Its a very cool place indeed and the club has to reflect that demographic aspiration.

Last edited:

Latest posts