What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2008 Crowd Watch - Final Totals in Post #3778

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disagree. "Cheap season tickets" or not, i cannot see the likes of the Saints, Dogs or Rabbito's creating the bandwagon effect to generate big crowds over a 12-48 or yonda period. The AFL clubs do not have "cheap" ttckets to games as such but membership packages (6, 12, 18 & 24) The latter is around $800.00 with voting rights.

have you heard of andrew demetriou?

he was asked what the secret to their crowds, and he mentioned how cheap the ST are.

anyway sit back and watch sydney crowds grow with marketing.

if a sport as awful as aFL can get those crowds, then a sport as good as RL will do it easy

Red Bear

Referee
as i said in other threads, i dont think we can get the crowds of AFL in the near future, we can however certainly improve where we are at. I dont think it unrealistic to have, in say 5-10 years, suburban games almost guarenteed sellout (leichhardt, brookvale, kogarah, campbelltown, WIN, Shark Park and Penrif) as well as 20k+ at Parra, Canterbury, Souths and Roosters games, whils Brisbane could be up at 40 000, at least 35 000, Gold Coast, NQ and Newcaslte near sell out each week. Canberra has a large weather variable, as does Aukland, simply cos of the harsher climates, but could certainly average very good crowds, whilst Melbourne in their new ground should be geting at least 15000, hopefully 20K plus regularly.

If we do get these type of crowds, and i believe we can with good marketing and sensible, non-TV dictated scheduling, we would be in a much better position to expand the game again, with CC, Perth and 4th Qld priorities.

Last edited:

bazza

Immortal
Penrith are the biggest mystery to me. They have one of the biggest junior bases in Rugby League, they have a super rich leagues club pumping money in, yet after 41 years all they have to show for this are 2 Grand Final wins, a scattering of finals appearences (never more than 3 in a row) and mediocre crowds. The administration out Penrith way really needs a shakeup.

I have mentioned this before, but my guess is that at least half of the people that live and play RL in penrith would support another NRL team either because they have moved from another area recently or their parents moved there recently.

The disappointing thing is that a few years ago they were averaging well over 15000 but it seems they did not convert those bandwagon supporters into season ticket holders when they had the chance

Perth Red

Post Whore
Penrith are the biggest mystery to me. They have one of the biggest junior bases in Rugby League, they have a super rich leagues club pumping money in, yet after 41 years all they have to show for this are 2 Grand Final wins, a scattering of finals appearences (never more than 3 in a row) and mediocre crowds. The administration out Penrith way really needs a shakeup.

with all that money going into the pokies is it surprising they can't afford tickets to the game? Penriths crowds have been sh1thouse for most of their existence with only a few seasons exception.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
How many of Penrith's games are on a Sat night?

Break it down into each category. A few years ago they averged 17,000?

Digga Hole

Juniors
have you heard of andrew demetriou?

he was asked what the secret to their crowds, and he mentioned how cheap the ST are.

anyway sit back and watch sydney crowds grow with marketing.

if a sport as awful as aFL can get those crowds, then a sport as good as RL will do it easy

Cheap is relative Dally. AD compares prices with sports overseas when he makes comments such as this, not the NRL. ST's can be cheaper than weekly, but not by a lot. They come with benefits such as guaranteed access to H&A games and access to finals tickets and this is where the real value is.

Many AFL ST's are $400+, especially if you want a reserved seat. I pay $450 a year for mine, many people I know pay a lot more.

Season tickets are the way to go to boost crowds, but only a moron would believe that it is 'price v's matchday tickets' that is the driver. Its access to better seats and finals tickets, plus the 'support your club or it will die' push that is the real driver.

jabroni

Juniors
Back then though Parra could pack out Parra Stadium and Manly could pack out Brookie (both got over 27k once).

Manly don't seem to get anywhere near 20k anymore. I know Brookie doesn't hold 27k anymore, but you'd expect the odd 20k crowd with them up the top of the ladder. Their averages seem around the same tho.

Brookie's interesting. To be honest, i think there's some fudging going on as the cut they pay to the council is dependant on ground takings - crowd. The semi last year against Souths had a crowd of 19,785, yet the whole hill was standing room only, the corners as well and family hill was packed as well. It doesnt make sense. Thats the most packed ive seen it yet its not the biggest crowd?

Cheap is relative Dally. AD compares prices with sports overseas when he makes comments such as this, not the NRL. ST's can be cheaper than weekly, but not by a lot. They come with benefits such as guaranteed access to H&A games and access to finals tickets and this is where the real value is.

Many AFL ST's are $400+, especially if you want a reserved seat. I pay $450 a year for mine, many people I know pay a lot more.

Season tickets are the way to go to boost crowds, but only a moron would believe that it is 'price v's matchday tickets' that is the driver. Its access to better seats and finals tickets, plus the 'support your club or it will die' push that is the real driver.

AFLs cheapest ST are $80 for kids and $240? for adults

thats what we need for all our clubs.

once we market the hell out of them, well get an extra 10,000 per club over a decade, which would translate into massive crowd gains across the league

Digga Hole

Juniors
AFLs cheapest ST are $80 for kids and $240? for adults

thats what we need for all our clubs.

once we market the hell out of them, well get an extra 10,000 per club over a decade, which would translate into massive crowd gains across the league

I think the cheapest adult is around $200, depends a bit on the club, but that is for the 11 home games, not an entire 22 game season That would also not come with a reserved seat, meaning you would most likely be sitting on the top deck of any stadium, and you wouldn't have much of a chance of a Grand Final ticket if your team was to make it. For reserved seats in better areas add between $100 and $400 to the $200, add again if you would like to attend away matches as well (away really only relevant for Vic clubs), plus $50-$100 if you want a guaranteed GF ticket (which is only of any use if you make it, the ticket will costs about $200 on top of that).

Kids AFL memberships are cheap, but if you look at the pricing for kids under an AFL or NRL family ticket (season or weekly), you will find kids can be cheap at both sports, which is a very good thing.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Brookie's interesting. To be honest, i think there's some fudging going on as the cut they pay to the council is dependant on ground takings - crowd. The semi last year against Souths had a crowd of 19,785, yet the whole hill was standing room only, the corners as well and family hill was packed as well. It doesnt make sense. Thats the most packed ive seen it yet its not the biggest crowd?

You suggesting Manly are defrauding the local council and tax man by not declaring takings?:shock:

Red Bear what do you think will change to bring all these new or missing fans to the games? I like your optimism but people don't just suddenly decide to go to a game. The pricing, facilities. marketing and experience all has top be right and, up to now, I don't see a lot of intiatives from the clubs to seriously change anything.

I think the cheapest adult is around $200, depends a bit on the club, but that is for the 11 home games, not an entire 22 game season That would also not come with a reserved seat, meaning you would most likely be sitting on the top deck of any stadium, and you wouldn't have much of a chance of a Grand Final ticket if your team was to make it. For reserved seats in better areas add between $100 and $400 to the $200, add again if you would like to attend away matches as well (away really only relevant for Vic clubs), plus $50-$100 if you want a guaranteed GF ticket (which is only of any use if you make it, the ticket will costs about $200 on top of that).

Kids AFL memberships are cheap, but if you look at the pricing for kids under an AFL or NRL family ticket (season or weekly), you will find kids can be cheap at both sports, which is a very good thing.

our ST are only for home games too.

the idea that ST are cheap is whats made afl crowds grow.

RL needs to copy that and it will have massive crowds.

Chook Norris

First Grade
SFS Match (Dragons v Roosters)

Tickets are selling fast for Friday’s night’s battle for a top four finish with the Sydney Roosters today releasing more Reserved Seating ahead of the game at the Sydney Football Stadium.
Ticket sales indicate that Friday night's blockbuster will be exactly that, currently out selling all Roosters home games so far this season.
The Roosters have released Reserved Seating in Bay 34 located on the 40m line on the Eastern Side.
http://www.sydneyroosters.com.au/news.php?ArticleID=3482

will be 25k +

brendothejet

First Grade
outselling all roosters games this season....

wow, thats a tough nut to crack.

But good stuff. Hope its massive.

bartman

Immortal
To beat the all time aggregate attendance set in 1995 the aggregate for the last round needs to be about 190,000 (ave 23,750)
And people think the game/ARL wasn't going great guns at the outbreak of Super League, as reason for it all starting? We're still trying to top the record crowds 13 years later...

I don't think this round can get there. And I'm worried we'll actually slip on last year's crowds... not good.

Last edited:

bazza

Immortal
And people think the game/ARL wasn't going great guns at the outbreak of Super League, as reason for it all starting? We're still trying to top the record crowds 13 years later...
They played 28 extra matches that year - the average was 13,918

Brutus

Referee
Last edited:

bobmar28

Bench
When how many free tickets were given out :lol:

If you want to talk about free tickets I heard that Paul? Roos? suggested giving away 20,000 tickets to the swans game at ANZ because they have only sold 16,000 as of yesterday. He reckons Blacktown would be a good place to give away tickets.

If they do that the NRL should do the same, in Blacktown and Liverpool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts