What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Members Only match

Its a good idea, some of these people whinging about the players lost to the uk and rugby are obviously not members. If every club had 15000 members they could raise the cap and keep some of these players.The only down side is having to sit in a small stadium close to tigers fans .

absolutely.

if every club had 15,000 members the code would receive a massive boost.

at least some clubs are doing the right thing

innsaneink

Referee
its a souths home game

I know its a souths game, but WTs are having their say too re their own fans.
and only members of the clubs will be allowed in to Redfern.

would you have gone to the trial anyway

Yes. Most difnitely

We play lots of trials in the bush and QLD so I get to them when i can...in the past few years Ive been to WTs trials at Ulladulla, Gosford, Brookvale and the last two Foundation cups as well as LO & Cambo before 05 when I think that was the last time we had a home trial match

Last edited:

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
I don't understand. Why is it so unfeasable for you to become a financial member of the Wests Tigers?

bazza

Referee
Members of real clubs actually get a say in the running of that organisation, WTs members dont, they get a season ticket, a poster, cap and fridge magnet...

Why don't you get a season ticket?
Do WT have season ticket/membership packages where you can just get the Leichart/Campbelltown games?

bartman

Immortal
Souths have 6600 season ticket holders. The venue will probably only hold that many by February and members of each club will go into a ticket ballot to get in.
Given that is the situation, and they are right to expect a walk up crowd greater than the ground capacity, I think this is a fair way of doing it.

Altrernatives are offering tickets for sale in advance until sold out, probably only through the Souths Leagues Club or Redfern gates, which will disadvantage away fans greatly. I think Wests Tigers were Ok in agreeing to terms that see the people who they as a club seem to value most for their contributions getting a shot at this particular spoil.

I can understand why people may not want to purchase season tickets, and I can understand why people don't want to become "members" of a club if it is a token fee for some dodgy supporter gear and no say in the direction of the club, but you can't begrudge the people that do fork out getting exclusive access to something for their trouble?

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some of you are missing the point here of my and inks arguments.

We both realise that this is being trialled only for the trial match.

My argument is that this is not going to be the last time this happens and may become an option considered for all clubs to employ for the future, for regular season games.

I have been a Wests Tigers member since their inception, A WT Membership is a f**king rort.

That aside, IF something like this were to become a permanent thing in the game, do you think it would lead to more people taking memberships, or do you think it will alienate people who may only get to see their team play just 1-2 times a year because of their location.

The fact such a proposition is being trialled is ridiculous, irrespective of which clubs are involved, this has nothing to do with Souths the Tigers or any bloody team in the NRL, it's about the principal of the matter. The fans are the lifeblood of this game, and now they are going to be blackmailed to attend matches.

"Buy a season ticket or you don't get in"

As I said before, what happens to the people outside the area who only get to see their team play at home 1-2 times a year?

This is not promoting the game, this is sucking more money out of the fans pockets to prop up the clubs, with little value for money for the fan

hrundi99

First Grade

My argument is that this is not going to be the last time this happens and may become an option considered for all clubs to employ for the future, for regular season games.

I have been a Wests Tigers member since their inception, A WT Membership is a f**king rort.

That aside, IF something like this were to become a permanent thing in the game, do you think it would lead to more people taking memberships, or do you think it will alienate people who may only get to see their team play just 1-2 times a year because of their location.

The fact such a proposition is being trialled is ridiculous, irrespective of which clubs are involved, this has nothing to do with Souths the Tigers or any bloody team in the NRL, it's about the principal of the matter. The fans are the lifeblood of this game, and now they are going to be blackmailed to attend matches.

As I said before, what happens to the people outside the area who only get to see their team play at home 1-2 times a year?

This is not promoting the game, this is sucking more money out of the fans pockets to prop up the clubs, with little value for money for the fan

No club would ever turn away people from a game, except when the ground capacity is limited.

In those situations, priority should go to those who've made an official financial commitment to the club.

Ink can bitch and moan as much as he wants and cry poor but a WT membership is affordable to anyone if they prioritise their budget appropriately. If you can travel to away games in the bush you obviously have enough money.

Get on board or shut your trap. The sooner people in Sydney adapt to the AFL supporter mentatility the better.

Razor

Coach
it is a marketing ploy.

DO you think it will work.

I think it will alienate some fans from outside the metropolitan areas. Why would I buy a Wests Tigers membership while living in Brisbane, when I may only see 1-2 of their home games a year and only 1-2 of their away games?

It's not a financially wise move by myself is it? And there'd be plenty of others in the same boat.

It's a completely moronic concept.

You don't need to by a season ticket with your membership.

I live in Brisbane and been a Knights member for years. It's only $35 a year (There is also a $20 membership available which is exactly the same - except you can't vote for the board)

Being a member isn't "What can the club do for me", it's "What can I do for the club".

When the Knights come to Brisbane they have a function for all the Knights members in the area. I assume Wests will do the same.

It's a great concept.

Here's an idea - you hate the concept? Get you and your fellow supporters who hate the concept to become members. After you've served the qualifying period, then vote out the board.

offering something additional you dont have to pay for would make a product more attractive to buy, yes.

youngun

Juniors

Here's an idea - you hate the concept? Get you and your fellow supporters who hate the concept to become members. After you've served the qualifying period, then vote out the board.

That is what madunit is saying is part of the problem with the WT memberships, you don't get any voting rights as a member (or glorified season ticket holder). The only benefits you get is tickets to games and some small merchandise pieces.

However I can't see anywhere in the article nor have I heard that in the future regular season matches will be offered to members only, this would be suicide and I think Ink and Madunit may just be making assumptions here, possibly un-founded ones at that.

The only reason that Souths are doing this is to launch their return to Redfern Oval and as there will never be any NRL regular season matches played there due to parking, infracstructure and crowd capacity of only 8000 (hence a members only event) they are using the opportunity of a pre-season match to showcase the old ground which I think is a great initiative.

bartman

Immortal
I highly doubt that... what could possibly be gained by the league doing that for a regular season game held at a venue with a decent amount of (usually vacant) seating?

This is a one off for a trial purely due to Redfern's 6,000 capacity in February, and the view that people would need to be turned away at the gates and the need for a system to have in place. You don't pre-ticket trials trhrough Ticketek, so the members ballot is a great solution.

The only other situations where this might be employed in the future is for the very few games where they are an actual sellout - Origin and Grand Final perhaps? And I've no problems with preference for tickets being given to club members (however it is defined) in those situations.

perverse

Referee
i think making trial games permanently open to members only is a great idea and good incentive for anyone who cares enough about their club to go to a trial match to get a membership.

having it in competition rounds is poor form (and i doubt that will ever be considered)... but for trial matches it is a great idea imo. i think making membership packages far more robust in the NRL is a key strategy in ensuring a lot of clubs continued financial solvency... and this is a great, inexpensive way to achieve that.

Razor

Coach
That is what madunit is saying is part of the problem with the WT memberships, you don't get any voting rights as a member (or glorified season ticket holder). The only benefits you get is tickets to games and some small merchandise pieces.

That's terrible by Wests. I wonder how many other clubs don't let their members vote for the board.

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors

I live in Brisbane and been a Knights member for years. It's only $35 a year (There is also a $20 membership available which is exactly the same - except you can't vote for the board)

Being a member isn't "What can the club do for me", it's "What can I do for the club".

When the Knights come to Brisbane they have a function for all the Knights members in the area. I assume Wests will do the same.

It's a great concept.

Any idea how many clubs do this? It's a great concept & could really be exploited by clubs like StGI & Manly who both have a large following up here.

unforgiven

Bench
The only way that this would ever be an option in the future is if club memberships reach the ground capacity. In the near impossible situation of a club having as many members, with season tickets, as the ground capacity it would be tough luck on non members getting a ticket because the game would be sold out.

Souths have every right to include these tickets in their season ticket packages. after they provide all the seats for their members, there will be none left, that is tough luck for anyone who is not a member who wanted to go because the game has already sold out.

bazza

Referee

When WT get over 15,000 members/season ticket holders come back to me.

Even then they could play at Homebush without problems until they get over 80,000 members

How many members to WT currently have?

scruffy_tyson

Juniors
it is a marketing ploy.

DO you think it will work.

I think it will alienate some fans from outside the metropolitan areas. Why would I buy a Wests Tigers membership while living in Brisbane, when I may only see 1-2 of their home games a year and only 1-2 of their away games?

It's not a financially wise move by myself is it? And there'd be plenty of others in the same boat.

It's a completely moronic concept.

Mate you buy a membership to show your support towards your team. I have a Melbourne Storm membership but I only get to three or four games year. It shows the love for my team and that I am willing to help my club out by buying a membership,

innsaneink

Referee
No club would ever turn away people from a game, except when the ground capacity is limited.

In those situations, priority should go to those who've made an official financial commitment to the club.

Ink can bitch and moan as much as he wants and cry poor but a WT membership is affordable to anyone if they prioritise their budget appropriately. If you can travel to away games in the bush you obviously have enough money.

Get on board or shut your trap. The sooner people in Sydney adapt to the AFL supporter mentatility the better.

Yeh, I have enough money.
Time reqd getting to the games I dont have.
You= wrong again as per the norm.
I dont buy something I might not use, never have, never will.
Having a child playing winter sport Sats & Suns and being involved and committed to it myself, its no financially wise for me
WTs dont offer a flexible enough membership in this regard.
Noyce has been contacted in the past, too hard basket its gone into.

Mate you buy a membership to show your support towards your team.
No, I go to games when i can, buy their jerseys, wear the colours, patronise the clubs, join the football club so I CAN vote...thats how I support them.
This from an ex NRL club merchandise staffer....typical attitude.
Cough up the $$$ or f**k off.
Youre such a fraud, andrew.

Last edited:

bazza

Referee
Yeh, I have enough money.
Time reqd getting to the games I dont have.
So you might be busy when this match is on anyway...

If WT had 20,000 season ticket holders and they were the only ones allowed into games at Leichardt would you still complain then?