What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wentworthville Magpies NSW State cup champions 08 official thread.

Fathead

Bench
Hopefully everyone can see this and I am sure Nikki, and everyone else will be able to post similar photos but.

main.php

Mark thats a cracker photo too. Well done!

The Engineers Room

First Grade
What a great game. They were the better side and deserved the win. Full credit to the Jets defence. By far the most entertaining and satisfying part of the day.

Okay so these are off the article at Parraeels.com.au

IN1Z7300w_125.jpg

Rip is in that one. Just on the Side of the photo infront of Ovo.

But this is also a good one

IN1Z7275w_124.jpg

http://parraeels.com.au/news/news1909.shtml

Parraeels.com.au said:
WENTY VICTORY ONE FOR THE AGES
5pm, Sunday 5 October 2008

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Wentworthville’s 12-8 victory over the Newtown Jets in the VB NSW Cup Grand Final was truly a result for the ages, with Iwi Hauraki’s winning try bringing down the curtain on a match that lasted a record-equaling 104 minutes. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Magpies dominated for the bulk of the match however Newtown’s dogged refusal to give up ensured it went into extra time, during which both teams were unsuccessful with a slew of field goal attempts. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Both had cruised through last week’s grand final qualifiers with Wentworthville thrashing Manly 42-12 and the Jets racking up 24 unanswered points in the first half before defeating Wests 36-22. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]But the Grand Final was far from one sided.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Newtown survived an early scare when Wenty five-eighth Mark O’Grady busted the line and ran 50 metres before being pulled down just short of the line, with skipper James Maloney losing possession on the next tackle. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Jets capitalised immediately, with captain and one-time Newcastle Knight premiership winner Sean Rudder rolling in a grubber for winger Shaun Foley to score in the corner. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Magpies were back in it when their leading try-scorer Jonathan Wright finished off a classy backline move to dive over out wide for his 20th try of the season.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Wenty winger Iwi Hauraki was then denied a try in the left corner with Jets try scorer Foley slapping the ball loose a metre short of the try-line. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Again, the Jets went the length of the field in the next set and reclaimed the lead, with winger Byron Ford crossing on the left flank. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Magpies trailed 8-4 at the break despite enjoying the bulk of possession and field position, and their woes continued in the second half when Justin Horo was ruled held up over the line. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]But they drew level on their next attempt, with Horo sending centre Etu Uaisele over in the corner. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Wentworthville continued to dominate but Newtown held firm with some terrific scrambling defence. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]O’Grady missed a field-goal attempt and then lost the ball five metres from the line as the match went into the final 10 minutes.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Jets hooker Rory Kostjasyn missed another field-goal shot, before O’Grady’s second attempt drifted just under the bar as the game went into extra-time. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Magpies lost rampaging lock Joe Gulavao to an ankle injury in extra-time, as Foley, Maloney and O’Grady and Horo traded wayward field-goal attempts – seven between them. Horo’s shot never got a foot off the ground. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Finally, Wentworthville’s dominance paid off, with Hauraki running onto a grubber to give his side the lead for the first time in the match – after 104 minutes – and the NSW Cup title along with it. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]VB NSW CUP GRAND FINAL[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WENTWORTHVILLE MAGPIES 12[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tries: Jonathon Wright, Etu Uaisele, Iwi Hauraki[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NEWTOWN JETS 8[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tries: Shaun Foley, Byron Ford[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]At ANZ Stadium[/FONT]

Last edited:

wittyz chick

Coach
Regarding the field goal, speaking to Timmy after the game he made me laugh. He was wondering why the boys were going for the field goal they haven't practised them at training all year :lol:

wittyz chick

Coach
But what an awesome game.. I missed most of the extra time.. head in my arms too terrified to watch!! but i saw Iwi's try that was AWESOME!!! :D

Hellsy

Immortal
IN one of the most bizarre, farcical and gripping games of rugby league in memory, Wentworthville Magpies clinched the NSW Cup grand final 12-8 against the Newtown Jets on Sunday.
The victory to the Eels feeder club was sealed after a world record-equalling 24 minutes of extra time.
The game, marked by numerous schoolboy handling errors and 13 missed field goals, equalled the world record for the longest match of league ever played.
The repeated field goal attempts, some from right in front of the posts, left Australian league legend Andrew Johns momentarily speechless in the commentary box.
``I’ve got nothing to say,’’ Johns said as Wentworthville five-eighth Mark O’Grady hooked a field goal on the third tackle. ``The radar’s off.’’
O’Grady told reporters after the game: ``My legs were gone. Every time I’d kick the ball I’d cramp up.’’
Johns predicted a bright future for Magpies centre Etu Uaisele, who crossed for the Magpies second try.
But from then until the 124th minute, the crowd at ANZ Stadium and the huge television audience watched in disbelief as field goals attempts went well wide of the posts or fell under the crossbar.
Winger Iwi Hauraki put a dedicated band of Magpies fans at the ground out of their misery when he went over in the corner to win the match.
``Wentworthville were clearly the better side,’’ former Australian international Darryl Brohman told Radio 2GB. ``But they just couldn’t score.’’
Wenty coach Rip Taylor said he’d sent out a message after the third of his side’s eight missed shots at field goal.
``You can’t print what I was going to say but it was something to do with cut their foot off,’’ Taylor said.
http://parramatta-advertiser.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/wenty-take-time-to-win-nsw-cup/
I had many words Id have said to them as well!!!

Latest posts