What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mark O'Neill

ozcrusader

Bench
I know MarkO is a favorite here, and a club stalwart, and the quiet acheiver etc etc etc. I know he makes alot of tackles and does alot of work in the background that goes unnoticed.

But for mine, he doesn't hit the line hard, doesnt make any line breaks, doesnt offload, doesnt run straight, doesnt really do much for us at all.

He isn't a danger with the ball in his hands.

We desperately need some impact in our second row, which is rather ironic considering that a few seasons ago we had O'Donnell, Manu and Viane all vying for spots. I'm tempted to even move Senter in there when comes back.

Mighty Tiger

Bench
I couldn't agree more I was saying the other day I wouldn't be surprised if they swapped Buckets for Galea against the Roosters, get Galea running out wide which is what he does best and use Fitzy and Hodgson to run off him either side!

I do think however Buckets has fired at all this year and his time really could be numbered especially with players like Plum, Lima, Cashmere, Viane, Small, Simpkins, Fulton and Harrison coming through the ranks unless he does find something special.

tigger

Juniors
Maybe you should be pointing your finger at Skandalis before O'Neill. Skando had a good game by his standards on Friday, but one game does not make a season. Mark O'Neill lives and breaths Balmain and Wests, something that cannot be said about 90% of his team mates.

McGrime

Juniors
tigger said:
Maybe you should be pointing your finger at Skandalis before O'Neill. Skando had a good game by his standards on Friday, but one game does not make a season. Mark O'Neill lives and breaths Balmain and Wests, something that cannot be said about 90% of his team mates.
"Look Out" the Assylum gates ore open, seriously Tigger you are not watching the same game as the rest of us. Give yourself an uppercut. :x

Gus22

Juniors
In my opinion Oniell should be hard pressed to hold a spot on the bench at the moment. Other back rowers are going a lot better than he is. Two glaring errors in the past two weeks (bad missed tackle against Manly led directly to a try, & spilled ball with the tryline at his mercy against Panthers) only help to highlite the drop in form. Everyone makes mistakes but these two clangers alone for me are a sign that it is time to move on & look towards the future.

On current form I'd rate Oniell behind Graham, Sattler, Galea, & Laffranchi. Also with Payten & Senter due back Bryce Gibbs now becomes an option to cover the back row. Luke Covell from all accounts is making a good fist of his switch to the forwards & the sooner we have his goal kicking prowess available in first grade the better the team will be for it.

Mark Oniell has provided outstanding service to Balmain & Wests Tigers over a long period. He continues to be a solid player of first grade standard with a good work ethic & is a steadying influence to the young players around him. These attributes have proven helpful to this point but I believe that for the good of the team it is now time for Oniell to make way for the above mentioned.

Tim Sheens is a hard nosed/pragmatic customer who won't let sentiment or emotional blur his assessment of the team. I will not be surprised if
M Oniell is omitted from the first grade squad in the coming weeks. Such is life.

Gus22

Juniors
tigger said:

You've got to be joking!

McGrime

Juniors
Gus22 I think you are pretty close to the mark on O'Niell although he will still be in the wings if needed which just goes to show the more we give these young guys game time in top grade the better we look as the season progresses if we played Penrith in the first round they would have beeten us by 20 points at least. And we still have a long way to go.

bonstonker

Juniors
i really can't split any of our backrowers in regards to satts,buckets and graham.

so i decided to check out each player and came up with

buckets is averaging 28 tackles per game with 1 missed tackle.
he is only hitting it up 10 times per game with 2 offloads and an average of 6.18m per hit up.

graham is averaging 31 tackles per game with 1.5 missed tackles.
he is hitting it up 14 times per game with 1.5 offloads and 6.03m per hit up.

sattler is averaging 30 tackles per game with 4 missed tackles.
he is hitting it up 14 times per game with 2.5 offloads and 6.18m per hit up.

so it is no surprise to see the stats pretty close for all 3.

now i do agree that our backrow is not making enough impact with the ball in both yardage and second phase ball,but to say certain players are finished is a little crazy to me.sattler is gods gift yet graham and buckets are finished nearly every week on this forum,yet from what i've seen along with the statts is that they are all pretty much playing the same.

i do not think any of these players are finished or playing bad football,more a case of none of them being particularly threatening running the ball.every player has a weakness,it's just a shame our backrow share the same weakness.

i think alot of people are being a bit harsh on both buckets and graham especially when the players that have come off the bench have hardly set the world on fire with offloads and meters gained.solid, but not outstanding with some defensive issues as well.

i am a fan of heigo who usually gains around 7-8m a hitup and would like to see him on the bench along with galea.
if these players and any others can consistently show more than what our current backrowers are, then by all means replace any of them.

players need to show alot more to oust players of their experience and proven commitment.

McGrime

Juniors
Nice input on the stats Bonstonker they show consistancy but they do not show where the run took place on the field or the type of tackle that was made or missed for example Satts covered about 35mtrs just to get into position to tackle Amos Roberts and that would come up with a missed tackle stat. It's all about the way they go about thier job. I am definatley not writting off O'Niell but I think we are showing that we have young guys with abillity and they just have to get 1st grade time to advance further.

super_coach

First Grade
i think oniel still has a lot to offer and over a long season will get plenty of chances.but at this stage we need to get a bit more dash and variety in our attack.defence pretty good.I think some young legs would help especially on the right hand fringes.playing both graham and oniell is working pretty well in defence,but isnt doing a lot for our attack.as for the guy who said the team is lacking passion except for oniell,could not of seen the penrith game--they all had a huge dig

bonstonker

Juniors
that's right they don't,but they say alot more than someone saying so and so missed a tackle in such and such game,while ignoring the other 170 tackles with only 4 misses.

and yes the fringe players do need more first grade time,and that will come from the bench,and when they consistently perform over several weeks they will get their chance.potential is not enough to get a run on spot in the backrow at the tigers,you need to earn it over a period of time on the bench.
the way it should be.

Gus22

Juniors
I agree with you McGrime in so far as O'niell may still have an important role to play this year. I'm just concerned that if we are not careful we may be holding back the next generation unnecessarily. I think now is a good time for O'niell to take a lesser role. The same should happen with Sattler & Graham at some stage next year.

tigger

Juniors
:roll: :roll:

You are judging a great player on a slow start to a season, Do all JV supporters have a memory like a etch-a-sketch? Does anyone understand the concept of loyalty, heart a pride of the jersey? All of these describe Mark. He also does a lot of work with the Balmain juniors which unfortunately benefits Wests in the longer term. Your solution of getting rid of someone like O'Neill and replacing him has about as much merit as the Americans staying in Iraq for the next 25 years.

brook

First Grade
tigger said:

You are judging a great player on a slow start to a season, Do all JV supporters have a memory like a etch-a-sketch? Does anyone understand the concept of loyalty, heart a pride of the jersey? All of these describe Mark. He also does a lot of work with the Balmain juniors which unfortunately benefits Wests in the longer term. Your solution of getting rid of someone like O'Neill and replacing him has about as much merit as the Americans staying in Iraq for the next 25 years.

I woulda thought you'd be jumping at the chance to have him in a Balmain jersey again ;-)

Gus22

Juniors
tigger said:

Slow start? We are into round nine. How much more time do you want?

Loyalty, heart, pride, community service, are all great attributes & show the type of character Mark is . No one is questioning that. All that is being considered is if there are others that could currently be doing a better job on the football field.

As far as your attitude towards Wests & the joint venture you need to wake up to yourself. Luckily you are in the vast minority who still kid themselves we aould have been better of as stand alone clubs.

By all means look to past with pride but if there is to be a future you need to have open mind & accept that change is inevitable.

tigger

Juniors
i haven't said anything about us standing alone in this thread :roll:

I made a choice to follow Balmain in PL & Flegg rather than your stinking whore of a club. I wish we just cut ties with you all together. Newtown are a good example of a small club in PL that have made a success after being shafted (from memory, Western Suburbs played a big hand in that).

Brook, it is too early in the week, i didn't even think of that :D

McGrime

Juniors
(Quote) Tigger : I made a choice to follow Balmain in PL & Flegg rather than your stinking whore of a club. :shock:
I agree with you about Newtown being shafted, but your the one trying to do the shafting to the WT.
We can only hope that Balmain PL win a few more games to make your life less miserable.
I for one will be watching the progress of Balmain & Wests juniors fullfill their dreams of playing for the Wests Tigers.
Just ask Luke Duffy how he felt on Friday night even after a close loss.

Gus22

Juniors
tigger said:
I made a choice to follow Balmain in PL & Flegg rather than your stinking whore of a club. I wish we just cut ties with you all together. Newtown are a good example of a small club in PL that have made a success after being shafted (from memory, Western Suburbs played a big hand in that).

[/quote]I made a choice to follow Balmain in PL & Flegg
So go follow them & don't concern yourself with happens with the JV in the big show.
I wish we just cut ties with you all together
This won't be happening anytime soon get over it!
your stinking whore of a club
f**k YOU ARSEWIPE!

westie

Bench
tigger said:

Im loyal and have pride in the jersey, would you put me in the team?

gr8_1

Juniors
FMD the sooner the official forum comes back the better IMO.

It's bad enough going to Penrith Stadium and having a bloke behind me in a Balmain jersey singing Wests Tigers sux. Then walking out of the ground and a bunch of d1ckh3ads walking up the street singing balmain songs.... like hellooooooooooooo Balmain werent playing on Friday night.... Panther fans would be thinking what the hell is goin on at the JV ... embaressing ! :roll: Then coming on here and having a fruitloop carrying it on .....

I am a die hard Magpie fan from the Lidcomebe Oval days. When the JV came about I adopted Balmain and the Wests Tigers to my family. Some of you people should take a good look at yourselfs and wake up and smell it ... we are in 2004 NOT 1969 or 1952 :!: :!: :!: :!:

Latest posts