What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What to do with Level 3 - Parramatta Leagues Club

The Engineers Room

First Grade
would probably cost 2 or 3 times as much as an above ground carpark

Excavation would cost even more because of the time that the existing carpark would be out of commission. But in saying that a carpark on the third level of an existing building is just way much effort in terms of approvals and even the change in the loading of the structure and if it is even suitable.

Take it from a structural engineer, I don't think it would be feasible.

fish eel

Immortal
Jake is on the money.

If you want to fix it up inside and give it a makeover, anything other than a wholescale renovation would be tinkering.

We can talk all we like about how it is just pokies and just for Asians, fact is, they bring in the bulk of the income and shouldnt be as flippantly passed over as some in here are.

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
they shouldn't be passed over, but i think everyone would agree that a proper balance between pokie players and footy fans should be reached!

Suitman

Post Whore
they shouldn't be passed over, but i think everyone would agree that a proper balance between pokie players and footy fans should be reached!

Indeed, and I don't think people are being flippant here at all. In fact, most would agree on the importance the Asian gambling income has as part of our overall income structure.
But, you said it Jess, there must be a happy medium, and I'm sure it is achievable.

They talk about the football punters scaring the gambling community away, though it happens on what, 14-15 days a year, at most?
Surely, both can be accommodated very easily.

Suity

mickdo

Coach
We can talk all we like about how it is just pokies and just for Asians, fact is, they bring in the bulk of the income and shouldnt be as flippantly passed over as some in here are.

Fish, the problem is that the decision to steer the club towards a 'pokies only' venue was done before the pokie tax came in. It clearly isn't the cash cow it once was. Bulk of the income or not, the leagues club needs to find alternative revenue streams rather than just the pokies. Other clubs have diversified, while we seem to have done the opposite.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
unfortunately you cant take away the pokies, they are the life line

it could certainly do with a refurb though, it would need to be staged as the occupancy rates will need to be maintained so the lifeline can be maintained

level 3 can be used as the pokie room while the other areas are being refurbished, then do something will level 3 last

its probably hard to justify that sort of money in this current economic climate but if it was staged over a few years, it could be more feasible

asking the members is a good move but in the long term if we lose the asians or who ever play the pokies its a short sighted move as the funds will decrease

Gronk

Staff member
Bring back the male smoko prawn night. Dirty jokes, beers, boobs and a few prawns. Now there's a winner !

thumbup6ly.gif

fish eel

Immortal
Fish, the problem is that the decision to steer the club towards a 'pokies only' venue was done before the pokie tax came in. It clearly isn't the cash cow it once was. Bulk of the income or not, the leagues club needs to find alternative revenue streams rather than just the pokies. Other clubs have diversified, while we seem to have done the opposite.

Of course, I agree with all that Mick. Have said for quite a while they need to look for more income and diversify.

However, it will be a long time, if ever, before a big registered club like Parramatta does not get the bulk of it's income from pokies - and, the people that play those machines and eat in Tingha's are just as much part of the club than anyone else.

A prevailing attitude among some (not necessarily you) that comes through occasionaly is that its a leagues club and the asian pokie players need to remember why they have a club. Of course, a counter to that could be everyone needs to remember how it is we still have a club.

I'm all for fixing up level 3 and making that work. It's a no brainer. You can get up there from the front without going near the pokies.

If Tingha is working and the pokie players are still coming through then great. Dont fix what ain't broken.

TBH, I'd prefer people to be looking for income outside the four walls of the club, whether that be through new business ventures and/or services for members that generate income or commission for the club.

Suitman

Post Whore
TBH, I'd prefer people to be looking for income outside the four walls of the club, whether that be through new business ventures and/or services for members that generate income or commission for the club.

Yes, and that is what 3P are looking at with the Football Club, as well as the Leagues Club.
This has been discussed too many times to remember, but the income stream for the NRL team needs to be diversified to a greater extent than what it already is, and many people have come up with some ideas over a long period of time that are feasible.

It just all needs to be put into place, by a competant management group.

Suity

The Colonel

Immortal
Having been to the meeting and been upstairs on Level 3, it is hard not to wonder why the even bother having any bar staff up there. Complete waste of space - and while there was a bit of an argument at the meeting from one person in particular (and he knows who he is) - trying something up there, be it a well known live band in the auditorium, a few up and comers in the Sterlo Bar or even a few gigs by Jellybean Jam, Seattle Sound or One Hit Wonders.

junior009

Juniors
I've been thinking for a few years now that Parramatta could do with a decent strip club...just a thought!!

Gronk

Staff member
I've been thinking for a few years now that Parramatta could do with a decent strip club...just a thought!!

That wouldn't be PC these days. For some reason men stripping for the ladies is OK but not visa versa. Go figure.
shrug.gif

strider

Post Whore
Of course, I agree with all that Mick. Have said for quite a while they need to look for more income and diversify.

However, it will be a long time, if ever, before a big registered club like Parramatta does not get the bulk of it's income from pokies - and, the people that play those machines and eat in Tingha's are just as much part of the club than anyone else.

A prevailing attitude among some (not necessarily you) that comes through occasionaly is that its a leagues club and the asian pokie players need to remember why they have a club. Of course, a counter to that could be everyone needs to remember how it is we still have a club.

I'm all for fixing up level 3 and making that work. It's a no brainer. You can get up there from the front without going near the pokies.

If Tingha is working and the pokie players are still coming through then great. Dont fix what ain't broken.

well thats only the "how" because of the choices made in the last decade or so ..... the "how" could have been different if some ppl tried a little harder to provide different "hows"