What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Winger in the NRL

Who is the best

• Manu Vatuvei

Votes: 74 46.8%
  • David Williams

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • Denan Kemp

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Darius Boyd

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Jarrod Hayne

Votes: 12 7.6%
  • Anthony Quinn

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Krisnan Inu

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other (Specify)

Votes: 33 20.9%

• Total voters

tiger_nick

Bench
he certainly isnt near the best however for me the most improved winger last year was beau ryan. he played 3 or 4 games in 2007 and i saw absolutely nothing in him. he was small, slow had poor hands and was very tentative. i couldnt believe this guy was playing first grade, he didnt look like he had any potential.

he came into our round 1 side after mcdonnell and tuiaki were both injured, and i couldnt believe the difference in him. early in the game saints had an overlap, he left his wing came infield and absolutely smashed gasnier, saving a certain try. he had bulked up, ran hard from dummyhalf, was safe under the high ball, made breaks from kick returns and was very elusive.

later in the year with the game on the line he made a break against the dragons which turned into a 3 on 2, he ended up drawing in all 3 players to him and passing to benji who ran away and wonus the game, was an unbelievable play he made look easy.

imo was easily our best back last year and hopefully this year will continue to shine.

Dragonwest

Juniors
jason nightingale is very average. one of the slower wingers in the comp. id call him safe and thats about it.

have to be manu or kemp

glad your not picking my team.

Nightingale might not be fast but would rate as the best winger in the air in both attack & defence, has a great fend, spins out/busts alot of tackles on kick returns and can offload. Also showed some ball playing ability filling in at fullback.

probably not the best, but would definitely be the best value for money.

I wouldn't have Manu anywhere near my team.

Tommax25

Bench
vatuvei is an ordinary winger, feet for hands and you all rate him, sucks to be you..covell is winning games, manu is losing games

I think you are basing this on 2007 and anytime previous, because he certainly wasnt dropping balls at the rate he was back then. Manu can dent the line, something covell cant do. Manu is faster than covell, is a better option for attacking bombs due to his height. Covell just had his best ever season, which was a bit above average and nothing more, so you think he is all that. Trent Clayton is better than covell. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The NRL has been devoid of top quality exciting wingers for some time. I guess I'd go with Vatuvei as he is the only really "crowd pleaser" amonsgt the list.

Vossy

Bench
I think you are basing this on 2007 and anytime previous, because he certainly wasnt dropping balls at the rate he was back then. Manu can dent the line, something covell cant do. Manu is faster than covell, is a better option for attacking bombs due to his height. Covell just had his best ever season, which was a bit above average and nothing more, so you think he is all that. Trent Clayton is better than covell. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

your argument is null and void with that single line..obviously you didnt watch a single sharks game..

732134.jpg
2008-6-22-81661089.jpg

who the f*ck is trent clayton?

mxlegend99

Referee
Well if you're going to use a couple of photos that mean jack sh*t... why don't we just use stats and representative appearances?

Manu Vatuvei has 45 tries in 75 games (average of 6 tries every 10 games / 0.6 per game)
Luke Covell has 49 tries in 115 games (avg 4.3 tries every 10 games / 0.43 per game)

Manu Vatuvei has 16 rep appeareances for NZ (at 22 years of age)
Luke Covell has only 1 rep appearance (at 27 years of age)

Not sure if those stats could be correct though (i used Wiki). It seems incredible that Manu could have so many rep appearances at his age.

mxlegend99

Referee
Actually the more you think about it, Luke Covell has terrible stats for a winger. He's extremely lucky he can kick goals.

Manu Vatuvei is the best winger in the world by a country mile!. No one is even close. Ade Gardner would come next.

Why is there even a poll ?

mxlegend99

Referee
So that Sharks fans can see that Luke Covell was left out and we can watch them try and convince people he is the best winger in the NRL when he shouldn't even be in first grade.

nzwarriors60

Juniors
It's a joke that anyone even cosiders Covell the best in the world, he is slow, can't break the line and the only thing is really good for is leaping for the ball and Manu can do that anyway.

Tommax25

Bench
your argument is null and void with that single line..obviously you didnt watch a single sharks game..

732134.jpg
2008-6-22-81661089.jpg

who the f*ck is trent clayton?

But two pictures of him taking bombs over 26 games (assuming he played every game, cant be bothered to check) makes your point rock solid? I watched him plenty, just like I watched manu plenty, I know who I'd prefer. Get the shark glasses off, they are tainting your view of the world. Trent Clayton is god on a football field, apart from some minor setbacks.

Vatuvei would be the best in terms of finishing close to the line.

Hayne would have the most skill and Quinn would be one of the strongest defensively.