What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clarke not up to job he wants so much

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,25014355-5017479,00.html

By Paul Kent
February 06, 2009 12:00am

MICHAEL Clarke is unable to mask his ambition to captain Australia. He wants the job too much - which by definition questions his right when the time comes.
His altercation with Simon Katich in the SCG dressingroom, reported on the back of today's newspaper, is the latest incident that questions his credentials for the job.
It came after he gave teammates the hurry-up during the rendition of Under The Southern Cross I Stand. He had an appointment he wanted to keep with girlfriend Lara Bingle.
The Australian team is fracturing because of ongoing catfights among wives and girlfriends.
A blue between wives and girlfriends on the 2005 Ashes tour splintered team harmony, the unspoken undercurrent to Australia's stunning series loss.
In India this summer, a tour when Australia needed its vice-captain to get in and help pull the team up, rumblings instead went around about Clarke's absence.
He was having prolonged breakfasts and lunches with Bingle.
Missing In Action.
He spent the night at the Allan Border Medal kissing Bingle like a lovestruck teenager.
His distraction highlights his immaturity for the captaincy job, and the fact it is coming at the cost of performance exacerbates it.
So his disrespect for team protocol following the SCG Test, to hurry up the celebration so that he could leave and join his girlfriend, has angered many.
It destroys the dressingroom culture that has been so vital to Australia's ethos.
As every recent player is not allowed to forget, it was on the back of this restoration in pride - Under The Southern Cross I Stand - that Australia rebuilt itself from the horror years of the 1980s.
Clarke is media-savvy, with the cool looks and the hot girlfriend, the tattoos, the slick image and flash car.
Together, the package is near-perfect for the job. Yet what he doesn't have is the man.
Former Test captains are openly appalled by Clarke's desire for Ricky Ponting's job.
They believe it is disloyal to Ponting, some even believing he should be sacked as vice-captain because of it.
After a particularly long day in the field against South Africa in Melbourne, for instance, he was asked why Australia didn't bowl Katich.
"Ask the captain," he said, "I don't make the bowling changes."
A weak-willed response, it was seen by former greats as a deliberate affront to Ponting.
Little instances all, together they suggest Clarke has not shown he is ready for the role. Still enough remains of the guy who was in a dust-up at Northies, with former Parramatta halfback Tim Smith, to cause concern.
The guy who labelled West Indian Chris Gayle a "second-class citizen", which had enough racial undertones to provoke Gayle to action. They had to be separated.
Anybody can become involved in an incident - Ponting had his own outside the Bourbon - but where Ponting quickly distanced himself, portraying a new maturity, enough of Clarke remains to suggest it could happen again.
In the Australian culture, the Test captaincy is second only in esteem to the office of Prime Minister.
Some put it above that, and not because it pays better.
Clarke is the boy most likely, there's no doubt.
But as Australia face a sensitive decision as to wives and girlfriends for the upcoming Ashes tour, it might finally be time for him to lead the way.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
WALOB

how can you want it too much ?

and how is it his fault that Kat grabbed him around the throat ?

trash journalism

yet this is his conclusion,

But as Australia face a sensitive decision as to wives and girlfriends for the upcoming Ashes tour, it might finally be time for him to lead the way.

Last edited:

Batman Returns

Juniors
Everything that article says is the same conclusion I reached about Clarke....his deliberate contradicting of Ponting over Vettori's text to Haddin is just the latest sign of disloyalty. The fact that he is not playing in the IPL has 2 effects:
1/ Wins favour with public & administrators for seemingly putting Australian cricket first.
2/ Rankles with current Australian players because he is effectively breaking ranks. They are heading to IPL for the cash en masse, and he takes a different tack. This puts them under pressure to do the same, or at the least highlights a contrast between Clarke's attitude and their's. There is bound to be some resentment about this.

Bazal

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,25014355-5017479,00.html

By Paul Kent
February 06, 2009 12:00am

MICHAEL Clarke is unable to mask his ambition to captain Australia. He wants the job too much - which by definition questions his right when the time comes.
His altercation with Simon Katich in the SCG dressingroom, reported on the back of today's newspaper, is the latest incident that questions his credentials for the job.
It came after he gave teammates the hurry-up during the rendition of Under The Southern Cross I Stand. He had an appointment he wanted to keep with girlfriend Lara Bingle.
The Australian team is fracturing because of ongoing catfights among wives and girlfriends.
A blue between wives and girlfriends on the 2005 Ashes tour splintered team harmony, the unspoken undercurrent to Australia's stunning series loss.
In India this summer, a tour when Australia needed its vice-captain to get in and help pull the team up, rumblings instead went around about Clarke's absence.
He was having prolonged breakfasts and lunches with Bingle.
Missing In Action.
He spent the night at the Allan Border Medal kissing Bingle like a lovestruck teenager.
His distraction highlights his immaturity for the captaincy job, and the fact it is coming at the cost of performance exacerbates it.
So his disrespect for team protocol following the SCG Test, to hurry up the celebration so that he could leave and join his girlfriend, has angered many.
It destroys the dressingroom culture that has been so vital to Australia's ethos.
As every recent player is not allowed to forget, it was on the back of this restoration in pride - Under The Southern Cross I Stand - that Australia rebuilt itself from the horror years of the 1980s.
Clarke is media-savvy, with the cool looks and the hot girlfriend, the tattoos, the slick image and flash car.
Together, the package is near-perfect for the job. Yet what he doesn't have is the man.
Former Test captains are openly appalled by Clarke's desire for Ricky Ponting's job.
They believe it is disloyal to Ponting, some even believing he should be sacked as vice-captain because of it.
After a particularly long day in the field against South Africa in Melbourne, for instance, he was asked why Australia didn't bowl Katich.
"Ask the captain," he said, "I don't make the bowling changes."
A weak-willed response, it was seen by former greats as a deliberate affront to Ponting.
Little instances all, together they suggest Clarke has not shown he is ready for the role. Still enough remains of the guy who was in a dust-up at Northies, with former Parramatta halfback Tim Smith, to cause concern.
The guy who labelled West Indian Chris Gayle a "second-class citizen", which had enough racial undertones to provoke Gayle to action. They had to be separated.
Anybody can become involved in an incident - Ponting had his own outside the Bourbon - but where Ponting quickly distanced himself, portraying a new maturity, enough of Clarke remains to suggest it could happen again.
In the Australian culture, the Test captaincy is second only in esteem to the office of Prime Minister.
Some put it above that, and not because it pays better.
Clarke is the boy most likely, there's no doubt.

:lol:

What a load of rubbish. Personally I haven't seen these former captains expressing how appalled they are with Clarke...maybe I missed that article? And the other eleven that would no doubt have exploded along with it in the current climate? LOL.

Also, I wonder...if Clarke's "disrespect" of the team song has angered so many, who and where are they? And were they as angry when the current captain did the same thing? Is he unfit for the job too in Mr Kents eyes....the whole thing is controversy for the sake of controversy...

Mr Saab

Referee
Clarke is a bigger suck than that the kid who gives his teacher an apple everyday.
He is not a "man"....he is a little sh*t

You'd already posted your opinion 2 years about the chappell series??? What the f*ck does that mean??? I can't understand your pidgin english bullsh*t.

i posted it 2 years ago on this website you dumb merkin ... HELLOOOOOOOOOOO you were trying to claim i was merely following what mickey arthur said

jesus christ you are beyond locky's level of idiocy

JoeD

First Grade
Has this been mentioned before?
He supports the Wests Tigers and is a regular visitor to their dressing room but last year knocked back a chance to pose for photographs with NRL superstars such as Benji Marshall and Robbie Farah.
An email from Clarke's management provided the reason for the rejection - being photographed with league players would wreck his image.
"To be fair, it was when leaguies were in the news for the wrong reasons," Tigers chief executive Scott Longmuir said.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4840782a10133.html

Brutus

Referee
Clarke is a bigger suck than that the kid who gives his teacher an apple everyday.
He is not a "man"....he is a little sh*t

Spot on.

Fancy not posing for photos with Wests Tigers players because he was worried about his image.

This clown is micro-managed to the nth degree and the sooner people realise this the better. Players like Katich know it and there's no way they will be pushed around by a little genius suck.

JoeD

First Grade
I'm genuinely surprised there isn't more outrage about this. I used tot think Clarke was OK (for an aussie cricketer at least) until I read this. He doesn't even try and deny it. The worst part though is the Tigers chief executive agreeing with him!!!

JJ

Immortal
Be interesting to know more about what the other players think of him

If Ponting had a brain, he'd demand Clarke was sacked as v-c. Katich or Hussey would seem better options to me

Latest posts