What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harold Matthews and SG Ball Discussion Thread

half_back

Juniors
I think it is a combination of the two. It is hard to critisize a coach who gets no say in the players he has at his disposal. At the same time it is well documented that he hasnt prepared those he does have adequately. Add in Bridekirk, Jakiel et. al, as he requested but was denied and it would be a stronger side. But also they are 15 year olds and to simply tell them to look up and play what you see without any structure is setting them up for failure, especially when the "creative players" are thier weakest area.

Last edited:

Fibroman

First Grade
Half back, you are clearly one of the dads of one of the players. I hope the coach and players get their act together and enjoy the season.

ranga

Juniors
I have watched these kids play for there various clubs over several years now (harold mats) and the problem with them is the size of there egos and the people that fuel it. Ive watched junior league around Penrith for a long time and I have seen only a hand full of boys at 15-16 that were rated as future stars to go on and become so.Fitler ,Alexander,Geyer,you see were Iam going I dont see any one in this side that would be in there class, yet I read of budding superstars ,I think not.Reallity check boys your judged on your on field performances not whats written in the media by mums and dads

ranga

Juniors
Good players adapt ,you dont forget how to tackle and catch ,the football doesnt change shape and the opposition still have legs if you are willing to put your self there ,excuses are a soft option,like I said reality check.

ranga

Juniors
well I can tell you of at least 6 or 7 tries were someone missed,e.g the ones that matter ,therefore I would say Parra made the tackles that mattered ,

half_back

Juniors
Yeh i reckon he is either a western acadamy player or as u said a dad.

Sorry guys Im neither.

I hope both squads get their act together because plenty of talent in both. Hopefully both coaches modify their approach. From my perspective, and its just my opinion that George needs to give the boys more structure and Bob erred by flogging the boys from October to January without introducing any ball work at all. Ball are now 2 months behind everyone else but should improve continually and come home stronger, while Matts need more guidance. Im all for play what you see but that has to happen in a somewhat stuctured set-up. Have exit sets and good ball sets, set plays etc. with options and override calls when play opens up, just take pressure of them to create everything.

half_back

Juniors
I have watched these kids play for there various clubs over several years now (harold mats) and the problem with them is the size of there egos and the people that fuel it. Ive watched junior league around Penrith for a long time and I have seen only a hand full of boys at 15-16 that were rated as future stars to go on and become so.Fitler ,Alexander,Geyer,you see were Iam going I dont see any one in this side that would be in there class, yet I read of budding superstars ,I think not.Reallity check boys your judged on your on field performances not whats written in the media by mums and dads

You are talking bout superstars of the game no one would put that pressure on any of these players either matts or ball. There are some very good players in both teams. Interested to hear your opinion then on individuals as they are obviously strong ones

Last edited:

ranga

Juniors
You are talking bout superstars of the game no one would put that pressure on any of these players either matts or ball. There are some very good players in both teams. Interested to hear your opinion then on individuals as they are obviously strong ones
I,ve not mentioned any one as being a future superstar ,that was from previous posts that I have seen.Its a big world out there and until they play the Parras ,knights etc, and beat them they should stop telling everyone how good they are and show some guts and pride to wear the penrith colors

half_back

Juniors
I,ve not mentioned any one as being a future superstar ,that was from previous posts that I have seen.Its a big world out there and until they play the Parras ,knights etc, and beat them they should stop telling everyone how good they are and show some guts and pride to wear the penrith colors

I mentioned previously that I dont think they will beat those teams this year add also the dogs to that list. That though comes more from the selectors choices of players (leaving many positions dreadfully undermanned 9,6,7) also the coaching I believe has left them unprepared, through team selections and tactics. Even in the NRL with bad game plans and personnel in wrong positions teams get exposed. The grand final for one. I dont think any of them would not take pride in the jersey.

brothers34

Juniors
how bout you all rate each players game on weekend and then write who u would have where(only players in hm squad) then compare that to selectors to chow wrong they got it

ranga

Juniors
None of us are Jack Gibson ,so lets stop pretending we are .When you have frontrows who make numerous errors and the other who misses more tackles than he makes and has 1 hit up in 50 minutes of field time , a starting lock who didnt have a hit up and also fell of most tackles and side stepped by Parras front rower ,that is are rare luxury ,over rated .

ranga

Juniors
how bout you all rate each players game on weekend and then write who u would have where(only players in hm squad) then compare that to selectors to chow wrong they got it

This will be easy Tai tried but no discipline the rest sat back and watched

Latest posts