What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favourite Parramatta Memories

lingard

Coach
What are your favourite Parramatta memories? One of mine is from 1986. Parramatta playing Canterbury at Belmore Oval. (Sitting on the hill).
I remember Mick Cronin made one bone-shattering tackle on the Canterbury centre (I think it was Andrew Farrar). For the rest of the game, whenever the Canterbury attack came Cronin`s side of the ruck, he just stood there and shepherded the play back inside where Price or one of the other forwards cleaned up. It seemed that the whole Canterbury backline knew they didn`t stand a chance of getting through him! I remember, at one point, Price and Cronin just grinning at each other because it was working so well. Cronin had just about the best defensive centre`s game I`ve ever seen, that day; and he only made one tackle!

Stagger eel

Staff member
other than the grand Finals which were fantastic I remember a game against Canberra in 1987 where Maninga, Jackson and O'Sullivan destroyed us in the first half and went into the sheds 22-0 up. Monie must of ripped into them big time at half time because we were a completelty different side with sterlo, Lindner and Edan playing pivotal roles to come home with a wet sale and beat them by 30-22.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Watching the 1986 GF as an 8 year old. Greatest day watching any sport ever. Even better than the 07 Melbourne cup after winning a sh*tload. Going to Canterbury primary next day in my Parra jersey was quite enjoyable if not a little dangerous......

Avenger

Immortal
First game back at the new Parra Stadium, Parra 36 Saints 6. Kenny scored and was running towards me on the western hill. To me he was like a god at the time. The next day in the paper the heading was "The Killing Fields."

Great memories. We were one of the most admired sporting teams in Australia during those years.

thedux

Juniors
other than the grand Finals which were fantastic I remember a game against Canberra in 1987 where Maninga, Jackson and O'Sullivan destroyed us in the first half and went into the sheds 22-0 up. Monie must of ripped into them big time at half time because we were a completelty different side with sterlo, Lindner and Edan playing pivotal roles to come home with a wet sale and beat them by 30-22.

I remember that one and if my memory hasn't completely gone wasn't Don Price, Ray's brother, man of the match in that game??? He think even scored.

strider

Post Whore
Its funny, I don't actually remember exact bits of games - but I remember being at or watching games ...
- going to the '81 GF with by best friend from school's family
- going to belmore lots of times (cos my grandma lived over that way) ... I remember an absolutely packed game and I sat on the lower part of the scoreboard cos I couldn't see over everyone .... and I remember a game vs the roosters there cos thats when i got my 1 and only ever parra flag
- i remember the game vs souths with the 27000+ cos I went with all my mates from school
- i remember crying when canterbury beat us in the GF
- i remember going to my mate's (the 81 GF mate) place for BBQs for the 82 and 83 GFs and his pissed dad making faces at teh TV whenever they showed Ribot :lol:
- and I remember falling down a f'n hill the first time I went and watched a game with this mob on here :lol:

Fee

Juniors
My favourite memory is 1986 grand final ,I was 13 and I remember watching us win with my family. Before the game I was puting parramatta streamers all over the telegraph poles, I will never forget that feeling it was the best ever. Then I remember feeling sad about Pricey and Cronin retiring . Best and worst feeling. Pricey's my favourite!

SDM

First Grade
Preliminary final 2000 vs Broncos, we may have lost, but we played real good, and gave it a real go.

Oudenryn

Juniors
Long time lurker - my favourite thread yet. 86 Grand Final. Watching Kenny kill them for 2 tries only to be denied. We still won! 13 years old at the time and annoyed that the generations following haven't been able to experience the feeling just once.

Spanky_Ham

Juniors
I remember going to the Leagues Club after the 1982 GF, and I bumped into a bloke I worked with who happened to be head of security. He let me into the backstage area of the auditorium and I was in the wings when Rabs introduced the players to an adoring crowd. I was quite pissed and had a beer in one hand and a durrie in the other. Chris Phelan bludged a smoke off me that night.

I have since quit smoking though, here's a tip..."Give them up by not taking them up".

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
sitting in the cumberland oval grandstand with my school mates on a Saturday afternoon

lingard

Coach
Welcome, Oudenryn.
Another one for me was when Parra won the mid-week Panasonic Cup. I think it might have been 1980. John Peard was coaching us, I think. It was the first competition Parramatta had won, and that goal-kicking winger, Michael Collins booted us to victory. No big deal now, but at the time, my brothers and I were over the moon; having a few quiet beers, watching on telly. It was the start of something big, because at the end of the year Parramatta announced possibly their greatest ever signing - Jack Gibson!

Latest posts