What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Woefull Referees performance

At the end of a game you should never have cause to recall who blew the whistle for a game. Whoever the pommie whistle jockey was in Friday's test is a prime example . . there was only one of them and his performance was such that you can't even recall it . . that's the way it should be.

Fast forward to Saturday night with two pink goons without a clue . . and more dreadfull referee showings at the Bronx v Chip Theives game and the Knights v Tits game . . . now whinging about referees may seem like sour grapes but the standard now we have two goons on the field and ridiculous penalty counts mean that something has to be said. The issues are either rorting or incompetence with the latter being the situation in most cases.

The penalty count get square in the early stages on the Drags v Cows second half points to this along with numerous other incidents . . . one whistle blower was barely NRL standard and his pink clad brother on the night was well below par. As I said earlier at the end of the game you should not even recall who was the whistle jockey . . .

Ben Cummins should never have been allowed to referee first grade again after his disgraceful performance in the last round of 2007 between Souths and Easts.

Maxwell should also have never been allowed to referee first grade again after his disgraceful performance in the 2008 Good Friday match between Easts and Brisbane.

Tony De Las Haras is a grade A merkin, also.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
So you spotted no problems in games not involving the Roosters?

No bias there I see...

Do I care about games not involving Roosters?

But, to make you happy; Shane Hayne in Origin blowing no penalties for 50 minutes and penalising Petero for something that happened all night. Terrible stuff.

Back to Easts; Simpkins in the Dogs v Roosters games in 2004 and 2006 sending Roosters players off who don't even front the judiciary during the week.

hellteam

First Grade
I remember the refereeing on Friday; it was terrible. He didn't blow a penalty at the start and it was the slowest game because of it.

I think what Gus Gould suggested on the Roast a few weeks ago is the best option. That is having one main ref (experienced) that referees the whole game, and the second ref (inexperienced) refereeing the ruck doesnt have a whistle but communicates with the ref through microphone

Timmah

Staff member
Something that does irk me about the refs lately is their attitude toward players. They receive no respect because they don't follow through... so many threats of sin bins in the last two weeks but not one player has been marched.

On the flipside, they're damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
i think the main issue at the moment is the refs need to elarn that just cos they have a whistle doesnt mean they have to use it. it seems they go out with the idea that they need to blow penalties early on to establish 'dominance' with the players.

this year in aprticular they seem to be whsitle happy and penalise for minor infractions. some of the things penalised for in the broncos-manly game were so trivial and minor it wasnt funny, and it was against both teams. half the time i coudlnt work out what the alleged penalty was for

Timmah

Staff member
Brett Suttor is another one who's getting too big for his britches but I don't blame him sometimes - the way LO'D carried on on Saturday night deserved 10 in the bin IMO.

Jason Maher

Immortal
What ever happened to referring to players by the number on their back instead of calling them by nickname's as if they were mates at the pub?

Raider_69

Post Whore
boo f**king hoo.
The raiders sit on 6 points this season, 2 from 8 matches and 2nd last. If not for ridiculous refereeing decisions in the opening 4 weeks we'd be on minimum 10 points, possibly 12, and sitting inside the top 8 with 4 maybe 5 wins from 8 matches. Yet we are absolutely sh*t canned on this forum for speaking out about it. Roosters, bulldogs, panthers are the only 3 loses out of 6 were a wrong call wasn't made against us that was the difference between a win or loss

Tigers win by 8. Freak try at the death after the raiders chance their arm in the final minutes. They do this only because they are behind thanks to Tuaki scoring after being tackled twice. Robert Finch concedes his boys stuffed up

Parramatta, two incorrect rulings led directly to field position for 2 of the eels 3 tries. The other scored on an over lap caused by having one less man on the field. Due to incorrect sin binning of Milne. Robert Finch agrees again. Referee is given the following week off. Raiders lost by 2 points

Titans, this one is iffy. But we lost by 6 points after a try in the final minute of play. One try involved 2 chasers of a kick inside the 10 and impacting play. Including the try scorer. Replays clearly indicate Zillman's front foot infront of Princes, was marginal. Wasn't offside by much and he'd have made it weather he was on or off but rules are rules. Video ref ignores the evidence and awards the try. We still had 20 minutes to win the game. And we did get back into it with a try but still we lost by the amount of points accumulated by this error

So you'll excuse me for not having any sympathy for the poor old dragons and titanr!

MattYg1

Bench
I dont recall anybody specifically asking you for sympathy but thanks for sharing anyway ;-)

In all honesty lads there is no use getting pissy about any of it... every team has been a victim at one time or another from sh!tty human error. So until the game is officiated by Droids... or God... these kind of f**k ups and stupidity will continue to happen.

I only really have one issue with the 2 referee system and that is the lack of Authority and experience shown in a majority of matches, where you will see two refs with less then 10 matches between the two of them getting bullied by players, captains and crowd. There really needs to be a sort of apprentice system. Not that the senior officials are faultless but at least they know how to handle situations these rookie refs struggle with.

Last edited:

Knightmare

Coach
:lol: Skeepe

"Bloody Knights should have lost yesterday, it's a rort that they scored any points at all, they were offside/ passing the ball foward/ knocked on/ shepherding every time and the ref didn't pick it up!"

*Knights fan points to the penalty count and a few iffy decisions that went against Newcastle...

"F**k me some people are biased!"

skeepe

Immortal
Ask and you shall receive...

I thought the refereeing in the Knights vs Titans match was pretty much spot on, apart from a dodgy knock-on call against the Knights towards the end of the first half that the Titans scored from.

Chris Walker is having a laugh, I would have been mortified if his "try" had been awarded because it would have completed the metamorphosis from "try" to "touchdown".

skeepe

Immortal
boo f**king hoo.
The raiders sit on 6 points this season, 2 from 8 matches and 2nd last. If not for ridiculous refereeing decisions in the opening 4 weeks we'd be on minimum 10 points, possibly 12, and sitting inside the top 8 with 4 maybe 5 wins from 8 matches. Yet we are absolutely sh*t canned on this forum for speaking out about it. Roosters, bulldogs, panthers are the only 3 loses out of 6 were a wrong call wasn't made against us that was the difference between a win or loss

Tigers win by 8. Freak try at the death after the raiders chance their arm in the final minutes. They do this only because they are behind thanks to Tuaki scoring after being tackled twice. Robert Finch concedes his boys stuffed up

Parramatta, two incorrect rulings led directly to field position for 2 of the eels 3 tries. The other scored on an over lap caused by having one less man on the field. Due to incorrect sin binning of Milne. Robert Finch agrees again. Referee is given the following week off. Raiders lost by 2 points

Titans, this one is iffy. But we lost by 6 points after a try in the final minute of play. One try involved 2 chasers of a kick inside the 10 and impacting play. Including the try scorer. Replays clearly indicate Zillman's front foot infront of Princes, was marginal. Wasn't offside by much and he'd have made it weather he was on or off but rules are rules. Video ref ignores the evidence and awards the try. We still had 20 minutes to win the game. And we did get back into it with a try but still we lost by the amount of points accumulated by this error

So you'll excuse me for not having any sympathy for the poor old dragons and titanr!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Very well said, that man.

Iafeta

Referee
The referees are ordinary to say the least. The English bloke in the test was ordinary, blowing a man offside when he's comfortably 2-3 metres onside. Missing about 27 knock ons in the ruck (mostly by us, I might add). Bill Harrigan having a laugh in the box (did he seriously even look at the Hodges try????? And how could he not tell that it was clearly Boyd's foot that scraped the line??) Then you go back to the Dragons-Warriors game, Creagh is offside at the end of the game, they're winning by 1.. you'd think that'd be a clear penalty, but of course not. It'd take nuts to blow one then, and they don't have that. Just like in the Storm/Warriors game in extra time, where Melbourne are lying in the ruck on the last play and Fien can't clear a decent pass to his halfback for the field... any other time of the game and the ref blows a penalty. Same as the week before, Warriors/Roosters game. Referee calls Stacey Jones offside twice in the last 2 minutes of the game, both times he makes the tackle without getting onside, it's play on!! The game before Kurt Gidley takes out Denan Kemp 10 metres from the line when he's kicked ahead... of course, we can't sinbin Gidley at Newcastle.

Referees are hopeless. Teams need to learn to win by more comfortable margins to take their horrendous performances out of the equation.