What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If the sharks fold what will happen with our expansion?

Billythekid

First Grade
Everyone has been talking about expanding by adding 2 teams to make 18. However the sharks folding could throw a spanner in the works.

The NRL might decide they don't want to add 3 teams by 2013 and just add 1 to replace the sharks. Adding 2 isn't really any good as it means having an odd number of teams which i don't think they want.

So maybe the NRL and Gallop could just use this as the excuse not to expand into areas like WA. I hope not just putting a random thought out there.

t-ba

Post Whore
The Bears will get the nod if Cronulla falls over this year imo. Don't see it happening just yet however.

Leaves the path clear for a WA and NZ/QLD side...

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
If Cronulla decide to relocate (I agree with Twizzle, they won't fold) then it almost guarantees that the CC Bears re-admission imo. Which means that there'll only be one spot left for WA or a 4th QLD team.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
not as far off as you think, they will most likely have to use a fair few of the Sharks players because of their NRL contracts.

Pretty much what the Storm did to the Reds.

I think/hope that the Sharks relocate to Central Queensland, based in Rockhampton. No pokie tax, good juniors, new area not really represented, almost guarenteed crowd and best of all they can sell their leagues club and stadium and have bucket loads of cash.

t1tan

Juniors
What would happen to the players re contracts?
Do they go to their team of choice,or does the prospective new team have to renew their contracts?

Pretty much what the Storm did to the Reds.

I think/hope that the Sharks relocate to Central Queensland, based in Rockhampton. No pokie tax, good juniors, new area not really represented, almost guarenteed crowd and best of all they can sell their leagues club and stadium and have bucket loads of cash.
I'm a Sharks supporter and obviously I'd like them to stay at Endeavour, but I'm realistic, and in the minority. I'd still go for them if they relocated, no matter what. I long ago left the Mother-Shire Tit but still go to as many games as possible. If they moved I'd still go to their games, but if in Qld i'd prefer the Sunshine Coast, better surf, girls, etc, lol.
read the papers in the morning, there is more to come.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I'm a Sharks supporter and obviously I'd like them to stay at Endeavour, but I'm realistic, and in the minority. I'd still go for them if they relocated, no matter what. I long ago left the Mother-Shire Tit but still go to as many games as possible. If they moved I'd still go to their games, but if in Qld i'd prefer the Sunshine Coast, better surf, girls, etc, lol.
read the papers in the morning, there is more to come.

Yeah I just did a bit of research and I am realising that the Sunshine Coast would be a better option.

Timbo

Staff member
My problem with the Sharks going to the Sunshine Coast or Rockhampton is where would they play?

Neither has an NRL standard venue (yet). Both QLD Cup grounds fail to meet NRL standards.

I think they could go to the Sunshine Coast and play out of Suncorp until the ground there gets a decent re-development...But how long will that take? Especially after the whacking Bligh copped over stadium building in the last election.

t1tan

Juniors
My problem with the Sharks going to the Sunshine Coast or Rockhampton is where would they play?

Neither has an NRL standard venue (yet). Both QLD Cup grounds fail to meet NRL standards.

I think they could go to the Sunshine Coast and play out of Suncorp until the ground there gets a decent re-development...But how long will that take? Especially after the whacking Bligh copped over stadium building in the last election.
Share Carrara.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach

Well, if the Sharks relocated, they could sell their current stadium and Leagues club and they could use that money to upgrade the stadium there. With the Qld government paying them back later on of course.

If it really is a problem, they could sit out for a few years, let the Bears come in as 16th team until 2013 and then the Sunshine Coast Sharks could be up and running with a developed stadium.

macavity

Referee
relocation would seem the only option - and certainly the best option. Sydney Sharks fans would still have 7-8 games a year to get to, they just have to leave the shire.

what chance shark park being dismantled and shipped up the pacific highway or across the nullabour?

then the whole site can be re-developed. the Perth / Sunshine Sharks could be a powerhouse, done right.

The Cronulla Sharks on the other hand...

ozjet1

when people talk about expansion, do they mean more teams? or new markets? or both?

personally....16 teams is enough. just because the AFL are adding new teams doesnt mean the NRL should too. one more game per week may increase the value of broadcast rights, but at what cost to Sydney clubs and the quality of the competition in general? will the marginal benefit be greater than the marginal cost? and dont just look at the financial aspects here.

i would have no hesitation at expelling the sharks if they cant get their shit sorted........crowds, cashflow, etc. they'll be more of a drain on the comp than adding value if they cant survive in their own right at Woolooware. they do not have a decent heritage which will be of any value in a relocation either, Sydney Sharks fans definately wont travel to Gosford (hard enough getting them to Kogarah) and it's been proven that areas struggle to adopt a relocated team.

Florimo and the Bears say they are ready to enter the comp in 2011 if need be. the central coast are wanting a team, and they are behind the Bears all the way.

Last edited:

Latest posts