What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Five clubs fined for cap breaches

effnic

Bench
NRL fine five clubs for salary cap breaches from the 2008 season

May 21, 2009
The NRL has fined five clubs a total of $41,438 for salary cap breaches in the 2008 season.

St George Illawarra were the hardest hit with a $15,200 fine, followed by South Sydney ($12,500), Gold Coast ($5,458), Bulldogs ($4,655) and Wests Tigers ($3,625).

The fines handed out were significantly less than the $237,135 issued in 2007 and $464,849 from the 2006 season.

The problems stemmed from either second-tier salary breaches or misinterpretations with the guidelines.

“It's a pleasing result in many respects but also a reminder to the clubs that even relatively minor breaches must still incur penalties,” NRL chief executive David Gallop said.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25518360-5018866,00.html

Hmmm Manly seem to never get a mention do they DO THEY!!!!!!

Timbo

Staff member
Wow I'm amazed we didn't go over. We used about a gajillion players last season due to injuries, thought there'd be a second tier breach there somewhere.

mattyg

Bench
effie ya been awfully quiet for the first 2 months of the season..whats changed? (vi)!! :)

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
If that is all the fines are about, I dont know what Parra is worrying about with Albert Kelly and Daniel Mortimer.

badav

Bench
So are they fined according to the amount they are over ?

No

This comes up every year. The salary cap is not black and white, your over or your not. Theres a sh*tload of rules and guidelines, and often the 2nd tier cap plays a part.

Usually these breaches are minor, or unintentional, but its funny watches fans get their knickers in a knot over it.

effnic

Bench
I'm suprised the broncos didnt go over..but manly didnt go over? HA!

Thats right bitch wanna read it again, every year these reports come out and you never see our name there not even for 1 cent breach so suck it.

Gaba

First Grade
still got a long way to catch up to the storm who nearly every year from 2000 gone over about 6 out of the last 8

Shorty

Staff member
^Yeah I was surprised to not see the Cows on there.
Not surprised with the GC, was waiting until they'd get hit.

bartman

Immortal
Wow I'm amazed we didn't go over. We used about a gajillion players last season due to injuries, thought there'd be a second tier breach there somewhere.
I read somewhere that a situation like that where heaps of players outside the top 25 are used comes back to bite the year after, not the year where the injuries etc occured, as the increased match payments to these players are deferred to next year's cap?