What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jennings declares himself available for origin

He was picked for the City team the same night. Hopefully the club doctor doesn't let him play though. If he does anymore damage it could cost him the remainder of the season. I would probably even go as far to rest him against the Sharks the following week. Can't be too safe when it comes to a star player like Jennings.

I doubt the NSW selectors would want him to play either if there is any doubt. So i dont think we have anything to worry about.

abpanther

Staff member
DId anyone see the roast today, Gus said Jenko is not ready for Origin yet, got roasted pretty hard, I've always had concerns about his defense, he's great when he makes the right read and rushes up to put a hit on, but when he's sliding and pointing man he looks dodgy, those missed tackles last night were poor, arm grabs...

murraymob

Coach
saturdays game did jennings no favours his defence was bad.Jamie lyon has one spot for sure and i think if available they will go for cooper

Fibroman

First Grade
Jennings played with the flu. That could explain him having an off game. I think he has been pretty good in defence aside from this game.

Sleep

Juniors
Cooper hasn't been playing well either. I still think they'll go with him though.

Jennings got alot of hype but Cooper has always had a spot sewn up. Lyon has been on fire and as long as he wanted to play was always going to get a spot.

Fibroman

First Grade
Good for Penrith. Not good for Jenko. Jennings is the best Panthers player I have seen since Fittler. He is that good. Denying him a birth in origin will show how stupid the blues selectors really are.

t1tan

Juniors
Good for Penrith. Not good for Jenko. Jennings is the best Panthers player I have seen since Fittler. He is that good. Denying him a birth in origin will show how stupid the blues selectors really are.
No,selecting him and seeing him miss soft tackles,like the ones he missed against the sharks,will show how stupid the NSW selectors are.

murraymob

Coach

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,25528754-5006066,00.html

NRL
Article from:
Jennings in 109m stunner

0,,6639880,00.jpg
Pick me, pick me ... Michael Jennings has sent Origin selectors a strong message. Photograph: Mark Evans / The Sunday Telegraph

PENRITH 48 ROOSTERS 6

PENRITH flyer Michael Jennings sent NSW selectors a message - and it came in the shape of a 109m try against the Roosters. While questions have been raised about his defence, Jennings scored a hat-trick of tries in Penrith's demolition of the Roosters and proved there's no substitute for speed.
Jennings scooped up a grubber kick on his own deadball line, stepped Roosters prop Mark O'Meley then scooted the length of the field to plant the ball beneath the posts.
"I couldn't believe it,'' said Jennings, who surprised even himself. "I saw O'Meley there and I thought I've got to step him or he'll smash me. It was survival. I just had to get away from him, after that I just did what I did.
"I wanted to play tonight. After last week's performance, I felt a bit down, I just wanted to pick my game up. It was more about impressing myself.''

Jennings was criticised for a poor defensive performance against Cronulla last weekend, but Panthers coach Matt Elliott last night blamed himself for that hiccup. He'd given Jennings four days off training to recover from the City-Country weekend.

Panthers lock Luke Lewis, who also enhanced his state chances, said Blues selectors could not ignore Jennings.
"His defence is unreal. I know there's been a lot of speculation about his defence, but that was one game out of nine,'' Lewis said.
Lewis went off early in the second half with nerve pain in his neck, a recurrence of an injury he suffered the week before. But the utility, who has been taking muscle relaxants, declared himself fit for Origin if selected.
During his time on the field, Lewis was outstanding. He forced three early Roosters turnovers with crunching tackles, set up the first try with a sublime pass for Frank Pritchard, then scored his own nine seconds from halftime.
"I thought he'd be a good bench player (for Origin), but I think I'm wrong. I don't think you can afford to leave him on the bench,'' Elliott said.
The Panthers celebrated a fourth consecutive victory and their biggest against the Roosters with a nine-try romp. Roosters coach Brad Fittler is running out of answers to fix his stuttering side, with his latest experiment to turn Braith Anasta into a fullback blowing up in his face.
Rather than saving Anasta in defence, the controversial move only served to expose him under the high ball.
He dropped the first bomb sent his way and spilled another that led to a try. "I respect fullbacks a lot more now, it was tough,'' Anasta sighed. "They just kept peppering me. Obviously dropping the first one you get a bit nervous. It was hard out there, but what do you do?''

Fulltime
PENRITH 48 (M Jennings 3, W Graham 2, F Pritchard, S Elford, L Coote, L Lewis tries; J Sammut 3, L Walsh 3 goals) beat SYDNEY ROOSTERS 6 (B Jones try; B Anasta goal). Referees: S Lyons, A Klein. Crowd: 8515.

Fibroman

First Grade
Civinoceva, Lewis and Jennings are all a class above everyone else in that side. Blackett will also be in that class if he gets a chance.

mxlegend99

Referee
Gordon is in that same class IMO. Would be even better if he actually had the ball passed to him once in a while, or played in the centres.

blakey792008

Juniors
Hey there Dogs fan here, its a pleasure watching your team play at the moment , Walsh has given you those 2 ingredients missing ,a kicking game and direction, your team is going along the lines eerily similar to the 03 side now you have the confidence. For your teams sake i hope Jennings doesnt get picked so you can give it to those dragons.

mxlegend99

Referee
Any update as to how long he is out for?
Originally it was stated he would be out for up to 12 weeks, without being able to weight on his ankle for the first 6 weeks. He went in for surgery on May 7th 2009 according to Andrew Farrell over at PI. Looking at the 2009 NRL draw, that means he should be ready to play against the Souths in Round 18. By rights the 12 weeks should have passed the day before we play them.

Hopefully he can either keep to schedule, or come back a week or two early even. Souths should be close to full strength in that game, while we will probably be without Petero Civoniceva, Michael Jennings, Luke Lewis and maybe even Trent Waterhouse. Michael Gordon would certainly be a great boost for that game.

If we can travel well without those Origin players, we should be absolutely set for climbing up the ladder when we get the back. Although if we have trouble winning without them, we might be stuck fighting just to scrape into the top 8.

Fibroman

First Grade
The key to our success this year is Lewis and Jennings remaining fit.

Gordon is a great player, but we don't lose all that much by having Daniella or Elford on the wing. If we lose Lewis or Jennings we are Cactus.

blakey792008

Juniors
I know you guys have Lachlan Coote and i know Jennings is on fire in the Centres but just picture him in the number 1 jersey having a free reign to chime in wherever and whenever he wants plus open space on the kick returns ,the thoughts are scary

Latest posts