What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Timmy's back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jk13

First Grade
maybe if timmy clicks his magical red ruby slippers together, he'll come home...theres no place like home

Bazal

Post Whore
You guys seems to be harping on about his football skills, yet forget the most important thing - mentally he's as weak as piss.

He's back now because he was homesick. :roll:

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,25542791-5006066,00.html

Tim cannot handle the pressure of day to day life, let alone being an NRL player. Move on. :arrow:

Total and utter unfounded crap...I'm not on one side of the "Bring Tim Smith back" bandwagon or the other, but he's back in the country because of a rather bad family illness...

eelz47

Coach
guess whos back...back again, bring him back bring him back bring him bak bring him back......................................................................

talkin about m&m here

lucablight

First Grade
I don`t think I have. I think the reason that Soward improved his game so much is that he is intrinsically a very good player. He had it in him. I don`t think Tim Smith does. I think Tim Smith peaked for ONE year, and that was it. Even in his debut year I thought he was over-rated, and I was waiting for the big improvement to happen in the following year. Well, it just never did. I`m not interested at all in his mental state or his personality. Purely on his playing ability and his playing style, I wouldn`t have him and I don`t rate him. Never did. That doesn`t make me an idiot or a goose or a traitor or anything else; it`s just my opinion and always has been. Even before any of his drunken misdemeanours, I didn`t like him much as a player. I still think he was grossly over-rated.

Yeah but you don't rate Fui either because he's too "one dimensional"

Gronk

Staff member
There seems to be conflicting stories as to why he's here. News Ltd says he's homesick, Fairfax say its family illness, the quote from Wigan says personal reasons.

Tim Smith is back in the country. The former Parramatta halfback, who left the NRL following the revelation that he had bipolar disorder, flew home before Wigan's weekend Super League game because of what the club said was a family illness. Wigan have a Challenge Cup quarter-final against Salford on Friday, but the club says it is not pressuring Smith to return for that. "Tim flew home for personal reasons," Wigan coach Brian Noble said. "He's got our full support."
http://www.smh.com.au/text/articles/2009/05/24/1243103433257.html

lucablight

First Grade
That`s right, I did think that Fui was very ordinary and one dimensional, but he`s proved me to be gloriously wrong about him this year. He`s been a sensation!

Except Fui has been no different and has been one of our best player EVERY single year since 2005.

caylo

Bench
That`s right, I did think that Fui was very ordinary and one dimensional, but he`s proved me to be gloriously wrong about him this year. He`s been a sensation!

If you told me to rank tim smith amoung NRL halfbacks on skill alone (not mental state or anything else like compatibility to a team), Time would be below Prince and Thurston, and maybe Sandow only.

Tim has one of the best kicking games I have seen, his passing game was amazing but it was probably his running game which put guys liek Prince and Thurston ahead of him. Tim at his peak would be better than Orford, Cronk, Kimmorley, Barret (as a halfback), Wallace, Mullens, Pearce etc. Tim downfall has always been consistancey and his mental issues, which inevidably effecting his football. He was very much a confidence player and needed to be in a good place to be playing good footy.

I would be happy if we brought back timmy because he has more weapons in his armour then anyplayer we currently have in our team (including KK), but his history would stop me from paying anything significant for him. If you look purley at his game he could be on of the best halfbacks going around but reaching his potential is his problem atm and we only see glipses of it. I don't think his over-rated, people just expected to much to early from a young kid.

ianlovesparra

Juniors
oh haha sorry guys. do u think the raiders would be a nice fit
for smithy?? timmy and campese in the halves
Tim Smith is a class player and would go well in any club, he and campese together would be a great halves pairing.

Not sure why parra don't sit down with him and give him another chance see if he wants to come back, theu can put conditions in his contract regarding behaviour, alcohol etc.

lewiscook

Juniors
I completely disagree. I think this year is far and away his best.

I agree,
FFMM showed over the last 2 years glimpses of a really prop, but errors snuk into his game.
This year he has really Proved critics wrong and taken his football to the next level.
FFMM imo is a must resigning, his metres for our team are so important and once he is leading with a few other hard hitting forwards it will se out a more then adequate platform for our backs...

ParraFan09

Juniors
Tim Smith is a class player and would go well in any club, he and campese together would be a great halves pairing.

Not sure why parra don't sit down with him and give him another chance see if he wants to come back, theu can put conditions in his contract regarding behaviour, alcohol etc.

yeah i would definently consider timmy again. at first i would juz put a one year deal on the table see how that goes.

lingard

Coach
If you told me to rank tim smith amoung NRL halfbacks on skill alone (not mental state or anything else like compatibility to a team), Time would be below Prince and Thurston, and maybe Sandow only.

Tim has one of the best kicking games I have seen, his passing game was amazing but it was probably his running game which put guys liek Prince and Thurston ahead of him. Tim at his peak would be better than Orford, Cronk, Kimmorley, Barret (as a halfback), Wallace, Mullens, Pearce etc. Tim downfall has always been consistancey and his mental issues, which inevidably effecting his football. He was very much a confidence player and needed to be in a good place to be playing good footy.

I would be happy if we brought back timmy because he has more weapons in his armour then anyplayer we currently have in our team (including KK), but his history would stop me from paying anything significant for him. If you look purley at his game he could be on of the best halfbacks going around but reaching his potential is his problem atm and we only see glipses of it. I don't think his over-rated, people just expected to much to early from a young kid.

I think Tim`s downfall - apart from inconsistencey, was the fact that he did not have a running game AT ALL. EVER! And so, because he never put the defence in two minds by sometimes running, sometimes kicking, sometimes passing, they always knew that whenever he got the ball, he was either going to pass or kick. In the whole time he was with Parra, he never looked like rectifying this problem. I can handle the fact that he couldn`t tackle. But he became so predictable in the end, that all the opposition had to do was charge up on him so that his kicks were hurried, or mark the players outside him. Forget about talent. Talent is irrelevant.
I loved his kicking and passing game when it was 'on'. It was magical. But that does not make him a great half-back.

lewiscook

Juniors
I think Tim`s downfall - apart from inconsistencey, was the fact that he did not have a running game AT ALL. EVER! And so, because he never put the defence in two minds by sometimes running, sometimes kicking, sometimes passing, they always knew that whenever he got the ball, he was either going to pass or kick. In the whole time he was with Parra, he never looked like rectifying this problem. I can handle the fact that he couldn`t tackle. But he became so predictable in the end, that all the opposition had to do was charge up on him so that his kicks were hurried, or mark the players outside him. Forget about talent. Talent is irrelevant.
I loved his kicking and passing game when it was 'on'. It was magical. But that does not make him a great half-back.

As much as some of us wont him to come back and be successful, i can't see it happen.
It's really to hard, DA by the looks of things has a plan drawn out that doesn't include any half outside the club.
I truely hope he has a good career but its really looking unlikely.

yy_cheng

Coach
I think Tim did realize this and started to run but he would choose to run the wrong time.

Finch was supposed to be a ball runner but hardly ever saw him run.

However, with

1. Hayne
6. KK
7. Tim
13. Mateo.

Parra would have alot of options so they couldn't just target Tim.

Tim needs runners and decoys and if he had that, he wouldn't need to run as much as the defense would have to cover his decoys as well.

Sadly, Parra doesn't know how to run decoys like the other teams.

I still think Tim would add value to a squad with the players I mentioned above in those key positions. He wouldn't be the sole playmaker and thus would be part of a team of playmakers.

I agree Tim is not a perfect half but you could slot his skills in with those other players.

Lastly, Sterlo was not that much of a runner either. I know different era but still. Actually Tim was as fast and had a step like Sterlo.

However, Sterlo was super cool under pressure and knew when to take risks.

Tim hadn't learnt that yet.

Latest posts