What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cutherbertson>Sharks

kal83

Juniors
NRL
Article from:
Adam Cuthbertson signs with Cronulla Sharks

By Christian Nicolussi | June 19, 2009 12:00am

0,,6678778,00.jpg
Opportunity ... Adam Cuthbertson is looking for a fresh start at Cronulla. Photograph: Mark Evans / The Daily Telegraph

MANLY back-rower Adam Cuthbertson last night signed a two-year deal with the Sharks. Cuthbertson confirmed he would shift to the Shire next year and was keen to further his career and shoot for representative glory under Ricky Stuart.
The 24-year-old was selected for City last month but was forced to pull out after he tore ligaments in his elbow.
"I'm not leaving Manly on bad terms. I've been there since I was 15," Cuthbertson said.
"I just see the move to Cronulla as a new opportunity and fresh start.
"I want to be established as a starting player and, in terms of representative duties, it will be hard to make those sides when I'm coming off the bench.
"I sat down and had a talk with Ricky about where he was at with his team. There's a young pack there and he seemed to be excited to have me."

Cuthbertson was not fazed by Cronulla's spot on the ladder or the constant drama away from the field.
The Avalon junior, who missed a start in the Sea Eagles' Grand Final win last season, said the premiers were starting to gain momentum and he wanted to finish 2009 on a high.

zombie jesus

Staff member
Not a huge loss, he needed to go somewhere he could be guaranteed a first grade spot, Rose has been awesome in his comeback and taken his spot.

Disco

Bench
Dissapointed to be honest, Mainly because forward depth wins comps and we have now lost Cuthbo, Hargraves and Hall

clipser

Juniors
disapointed with this... cuthbo had great potential with some other forwards leaving.

zombie jesus

Staff member
Where would he fit? Someone with his skill deserved more than being 18th man every week, next year I see the starting pack as something like.

8. Perry
9. Ballin
10. King
11. Watmough
12. Rodney
13. Stewart

14. Kite
15. Rose
16. T Williams
17. LeStrange

He would have been taking up way too much cap space to be there for depth, as much as we would all like him to be.

CC_Eagle

First Grade
As a local junior, it would have been nice to keep him.

But if it means we keep both Robbo and Wolfie, no complaints from me.

Harold Bishop

Juniors
Sad to see him go in a way, but he has been in first grade since 06' and still cant play consistent footy.
At the moment he wont get past Rose, Rodney and King, and to be honest if we are playing the "junior" card i think Lussick will turn out to be a better player.

Lungfish

Juniors
VERY dissapointed with whats happened.He shouldve been one of the first re signed. Shame,shame shame ..... this will come back to bite us! :x

Daddycool

Juniors
Ease up, it was his first game back from injury. He is very much a confidence player and when he is down on confidence, he has limited impact.

It wouldn't surprise me if Des didn't use him too much for the rest of the year...which is a shame. Now that he's leaving, game time for him could be less of a priority than for those who aren't.

clipser

Juniors
well id imagine he wont get that much time, considering farrar and possibly foran will be included each week... 1 from the side would have to be dropped.. unsure on who though

CC_Eagle

First Grade
Didn't really rate him tbh.

Had a lot of potential....Back in 2006.

On another note, Foran had an incredible game. His defence alone was perfect.:clap:

zombie jesus

Staff member
$200,000 to warm park footy bench

By Dean Ritchie From: The Daily Telegraph May 05, 2010 12:00AM

Footy career going pear-shaped...Adam Cuthbertson has been named on the bench for Cronulla's reserve grade side. Picture: Noel Kessel Source: The Daily Telegraph

HE'S the $200,000 recruit who will turn out in reserve grade for Cronulla this weekend - from the bench.

Former Manly back-rower Adam Cuthbertson has languished in the Sharks' NSW Cup team for three weeks but things went from bad to worse after being named on the bench for Saturday's clash with Canterbury.

Unable to earn a spot in the NRL's worst team, Cuthbertson will this weekend sit alongside bench players Herman Retzlaff, Lancen Joudo and Inoke Tapa'atoutai in NSW Cup coach Tony Herman's side.

With Cronulla's NRL side enjoying a bye, Herman has been able to stack his side with the likes of Nathan Stapleton, Blake Ferguson, Scott Porter, Isaac Gordon and Stuart Flanagan.

The move to dump so many established players shows first grade coach Ricky Stuart won't tolerate a repeat of last weekend's 38-0 loss to St George Illawarra at WIN Stadium.

But it's Cuthbertson's plight that has generated the most intrigue. He was part of Manly's 2007 grand final side that tackled the Storm in front of 80,000 fans at ANZ Stadium.

This weekend he'll turn out in front of a handful of people at The Crest Stadium in Bass Hill.

It's a remarkable fall from grace from a gifted player who hasn't been sighted in first grade since round five, and couldn't beat Trent Grubb, Alan Munro or Matthew Wright for a spot in the back-row for this weekend's NSW Cup game.

"Adam would be the first to admit he has been very disappointed with his form," Cronulla chief executive Richard Fisk said. "He has been suffering from a groin injury but has chosen to play on with it.

"But I have no doubt Adam will be back making a contribution to the club before the end of this season."

Cuthbertson has struggled this year with limited game time.

Some believe his flamboyant ball-playing style is at odds with the structured game plan employed by NRL clubs these days.

Cuthbertson's statistics this season are poor. He has played in four NRL games and averaged only nine runs. He has not made a tackle bust and only completed two offloads per game in an average of 33 minutes on the field.

Manly cut the Avalon Bulldogs junior at the end of last season due to salary cap constraints and the Sharks swiftly signed him up, hoping he would provide some much-needed flair.

Cuthbertson, who missed out on playing in Manly's 40-0 grand final win over Melbourne in 2008, arrived at Toyota Stadium saying he hated his time in NSW Cup with the Sea Eagles.

Earlier this year, Cuthbertson said: "After coming back from injury last year, I played a lot of reserve grade so I didn't fulfil my time there.

"But that had a lot to do with the player I have become."

He's come a long way.:p