What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Owen to United!

Disco

Bench
So it looks like ManU will beat Stoke and Hull to the signiture of Owen :lol:

Nah seriously i think he could be an okay pickup. For a team like Everton or Villa to sign him as a regular at £50 000 a week would be horrible but for United to sign him at a basic of 20k a week (with bonuses perhaps taking it to closer to 100k) as a squad player is fine.

A fit Owen with good players around him and no pressure on his shoulders could be very valuable to united

And if he plays like he did for Newcastle then they sell him in the summer and they really havnt lost a thing

Ridders

Coach
Someone tell Fergie its the year 2009 and not 1999:crazy:. I'm sure this is an epic day in the history of the Red Devils.

salivor

First Grade
bit of a step down from Ronny

Well he's not been signed to fill the 7. Still a bit of a step down from Tevez based on the last few years.

At least it was a free transfer and Valencia reportably only cost 17 million so we should still have 63 odd million to play around with. The question is by the time City and Real are done, what scraps will we be left to pick up...

Broncodr01d

Juniors
I will reserve the right to comment further on this "big signing" after the first half of the new season. I have never been much of a Michael Owens fan to begin with despite the fact he literally burst on to the scene as a teenager.

50/50 on this signing.

aqua_duck

Coach
free transfer, its reported that its a incentive based contract aswell so really United aren't losing much if Owen gets injured and doesn't play, but I think he's an adequate replacement for the Tevez role. All he has to do is work hard off the ball harassing defenders, and score 10 goals a season which he's well capable of.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Who wouldn't want Owen on an incentives based contract?

Not only that but with the right service, and with a determination to succeed that he hasn't had in years, this could be an excellent signing for United.

Great depth at the very least. I just hope for his sake that he can stay fit.

DB

First Grade
If he stays fit, this could be very good for England leading into a world cup.... with two of their main strikers in one team, and a whole season to build up a combination together.

Mad Dogg

Juniors
I guess the thinking here is to get a cheap older experienced player in as a bit of a stop-gap, giving Welbeck and Macheda time to get experience and hopefully step up in 2 seasons or so. If we'd signed a big name striker along with Rooney and Berbatov, the two youngsters would've found it difficult to get much game time. But with Owen, especially if he continues to struggle with injury (although his last two seasons haven't been anywhere near as bad as previous two), the kids should get a fair bit of game-time, while not having the pressure of being the only alternative options.

Not particularly happy with the signing, but not disappointed either. It's going to seem wrong seeing him in a Utd shirt though.

Little striker

Juniors
:crazy: Its crazy that United had decided to pick Owen. It would suprise me if United keeps the extra cash under wraps when they decide to buy other players in the future. We all know how injury prone the guy is, I hope he doesn't just pile up medical bills just for his 15mins of fame with Manchester United.
:) Pogrebnyak, he would be a bit of a bolter. If MU decides to gain this guy it would be a bit of slightly risky gamble.

Red Bear

Referee
What mercenary little merkin he's turned out to be. I used to like him as a player, hell he was part of the reason i first followed Liverpool, but he's a tosser with no respect for the club he is at. We f**king made him and he left to play aboard, ok then, come back to england at Newcastle, fair enough they were willing to pay 16 million for him, whatever. Then he decides to go play for Manchester United? f**king hell, any respect from Liverpool is gone now.

Disco

Bench
To be fair Red Bear its not like he had a heap of options, even being a Kop legend, would you choose Hull, Stoke or ManU

salivor

First Grade
What mercenary little merkin he's turned out to be. I used to like him as a player, hell he was part of the reason i first followed Liverpool, but he's a tosser with no respect for the club he is at. We f**king made him and he left to play aboard, ok then, come back to england at Newcastle, fair enough they were willing to pay 16 million for him, whatever. Then he decides to go play for Manchester United? f**king hell, any respect from Liverpool is gone now.

Yes he should resign himself to playing for relegation candidates Stoke and Hull out of respect for Liverpool. The fact it took him all of 24 hours to say yes to the deal shows that no serious club besides us wanted a bar of him, he'd have been a fool to turn down the offer.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I read on an English site this morning that the 6+5 rule is being brought in next August.

May have something to do with this