What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Major Announcement at 12pm Today

cram

Bench
ABC 1233 is reporting that the Knights have issued a press conference notification for 12pm today.

The notice gives little information however, Craig Hamilton is speculating that the announcement is related to Smith's immediate departure.

cram

Bench
Craig Hamilton indicated that his information was that the announcement would affect every player, so you would have to assume it's related to the coaching.

cram

Bench
I just hope it's not another one of those anti-climax ones.

I am thinking not because Jarrod Mullen was supposed to be on 1233 this morning for interview but was pulled by the Knights management.

This suggests the players probably know what's happening and they did not want the players letting the cat out of the bag to the media before the announcement.

Frederick

Staff member
Don't laugh, it's true! Not only are we signing Inglis, but we've also snagged Thurston, Hannant, Hayne, and managed to convince Wayne Bennett to cut short his contract to coach us for next year and the following 9 years.

However, to pay for these signings, we've had to cut our entire first grade squad, and promote our entire NYC squad :)

Coastbloke

Bench
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ewcastle-knights/story-e6frexnr-1225761822469

Coach Brian Smith leaving Newcastle Knights

• The Newcastle Knights are today expected to announce coach Brian Smith will leave the club, effective immediately.

The Knights have called a media conference for today where they will make a major announcement.
It follows an emergency board meeting last night where it is understood Rick Stone was anointed as the new head coach.

Stone is expected to take the reigns for Monday night’s clash against Melbourne.

More to come.

cram

Bench
So I wonder whether Stone's appointment is for the remainder of the season or for future years?

roopy

Referee
Well teams usually lift for a new coach, even if it's usually for just one game.
If we can win this game and our final home game we'll go close to falling over the line for the finals.

keeney

First Grade
I hope this tenure is seen as a trial period, and the board doesn't leap into a decision. But I know they will.

roopy

Referee
signed for two years according to the telegraph.
I hope it's one year with a one year extention if we make the finals next year.

Serc

First Grade
Craig Hamilton just said he is sure that its Smith gone as of immediately and Stone for the next 2 years, and the players have been told as of 20 mins ago.

Karmawave

Bench
Smith is gone.

Ding Dong the witch is dead.

Brian Smith's Knights coaching career = FAIL. There's another ' fail ' for you Serc.

Hopefully Rick Stone can now get the lads to the semi finals.