What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daniel Holdsworth

abpanther

Staff member
He is off contract at the end of this season, would he be an astute purchase to help out in the halves or is he an average first grader who offers very little?

Thoughts???

abpanther

Staff member
Not many quality props out there, be good if we could make a run for Sam Burgess

mightypanther

Juniors
Holdsworth could net silver lining

Greg Prichard | September 2, 2009
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/lhq...t-silver-lining/2009/09/01/1251570710669.html

DANIEL HOLDSWORTH, the man handed the responsibility of deputising for injured Bulldogs halfback Brett Kimmorley heading into the finals, is set to seal a new deal within the next few weeks - but it may not be with his current club.

Bulldogs chief executive Todd Greenberg said salary cap pressures had thus far prevented the club from making Holdsworth an offer for next year. Holdsworth's manager, Sam Ayoub, has been working to line up alternatives.

''We're having ongoing discussions with two other NRL clubs and another from overseas,'' Ayoub said last night. ''Ideally, Daniel would like to stay at the Bulldogs, and I know they would like to keep him if possible, but at this stage there has been no offer.

''So we have to get on with investigating other possibilities. One of those other NRL clubs has made an offer, and the other clubs are still in the frame. It's still up in the air as to whether the Bulldogs will make an offer, but whatever happens I expect we'll have something in place for Daniel within the next three weeks.

''He's a class player, and he's only 25. Three years ago he played the entire season in first grade and the Bulldogs were way in front of Brisbane in a grand final qualifier when he had to go off injured. The Broncos came back and won that night.

''It's a great opportunity for Daniel this weekend, and going into the finals, to be named at halfback in place of 'Noddy'. The timing couldn't be better in terms of advertising.''

Kimmorley suffered a fractured cheekbone in Sunday's win over the Warriors, and has since undergone surgery to have three titanium plates inserted in his face. The Bulldogs hope he will be able to return in week three of the finals.

Greenberg said last night he did not want to make Holdsworth an offer unless it was a reasonable one. ''We're snookered a bit under the cap at the moment, but that doesn't mean we won't make an offer,'' Greenberg said.

''We just have to see how things pan out in the next couple of weeks. We wouldn't make an offer just for the sake of it, because that would be insulting. It certainly won't hurt Daniel's prospects to be playing in a couple of big games over the next couple of weeks.''

The Bulldogs will seek to wrap up the minor premiership by beating Wests Tigers in the final-round game at the SFS on Friday night. Bulldogs coach Kevin Moore said last night he had the utmost faith in Holdsworth's ability to take control of the team.

''There are some key things that Daniel does similarly to Noddy,'' Moore said. ''He's got a long kicking game, a good kick-chase, he talks well and organises well, and he's a strong defender. He'll play a similar role to Noddy, and I'm confident he'll do well.''

Sleep

Juniors
A big not interested from me. I've never really rated him. I'd much rather stick with Graham and Walsh.

bigfoot

Juniors
I don't really rate him that much either, HOWEVER...

What do we do if either Graham or Walsh gets injured next season?
We have no-one to fill in the halves. Especially if both of them were injured.

If he was going at a decent rate, I'd say go for it. However we need a winger/centre AND at least 1 prop first!

murraymob

First Grade
he has played for a few few seasons and never really stood out.Same thing at bulldogs solid player but not a stand out enough to offer a contract to.Lets get a mentor for the sedjaka boys graham to help them

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
Did not play grade for the Panthers played SG Ball.

Unlikely to come home as we dont sign anybody even players worth the basic minimum wage.

Fibroman

First Grade
Ordinary. Part of our problem is that we don't have many future prospects coming through the 20's at the moment.

Any half decent forwards seem to go on the scrap heap at Windsor, when in reality most forwards don't reach their peak until their mid 20's. We have McKendry, Pearn and Blackett ready to go, but Elliott won't give them a shot, even off the bench.

My 2 major issues this year are:

1. JTK playing park footy all year and then being signed with no notable counter offer.

2. Romelo playing 20's after Paul Aiton signed with the Sharks.

BOTH BRAIN DEAD DECISIONS.

Latest posts