What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights v Panthers Match Thread

Kazaf

Juniors
Just watched the highlights when the Knights last met the Panthers.
It was last year when Gidley was wearing the #9, really hope he plays a firing game like that exact game.

CJG 182

Juniors
I'd settle for even a slight above average game, hell even an average game from Gids. Anything better than the rubbish he's been serving up lately.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Game will sell out right?
I'd like to think so. But at this stage, I don't think it has. If Sunday is a fine, sunny day, it will sell out ... surely?

As for the game, there are only two players in the Panthers side that concern me - Pritchard and Jennings. If we contain those two, we win. Simple as that.

Karmawave

Bench
If Sunday is a fine, sunny day, it will sell out ... surely?

It's sad that we are getting excited over the possibility of a sell out on this one home game, when we'd need a crowd of probably 50,000 just to meet an average crowd figure that would reach what Burro budgeted for this season.

Our crowds have been disappointing all year, and typically, the reconstruction will be blamed even though perfectly good seats have been empty, and construction debris surrounding the stadium has been non existent.

Newcastle has seemingly become apathetic to the Knights, and its best shown by the amount of backpage headline sport coverage the Jets are getting in the local tabloid.

If we can't sell out this home game, we might as well give up.

perverse

Referee
i agree with captain negative. if i see a single empty seat on sunday i will be very disappointed.

Karmawave

Bench
Im confused. Give up what exactly?

The season?

The club?

Life?

Give up on ever trying to pack the joint out.

The Knights should sit there and ask what the hell went wrong in 10-12 years.

Hypothetical. If we had the hill around still, and if we were playing for a semi final spot in the 90's we'd pull 30,000. Do you think we'd ever go close to getting 30,000 through the gates anymore even if the capacity held it?

And if not, what went wrong in such a short space of time?

Last edited:

perverse

Referee
i really do think we lost a lot of fans that were fans of andrew johns... and not necessarily the knights. i think we're still trying to replace what we've lost, to be honest.

but if we can finish (and deserve) a spot in the top 2/top 4 in the next few years then it will go a ways to repairing that void. we need another dominate period, with a dominate player standing up and putting more bums on seats (something that mullen has within him... whether we'll see it or not remains to be seen).

Karmawave

Bench
I gathered the Johns reason would come about.

But wasn't our all time record crowd of 34,000 odd set against Manly in a team that didn't feature A Johns in 1995?

Or did he play in that game?

Last edited:

perverse

Referee
I gathered the Johns reason would come about.

But wasn't our all time record crowd of 34,000 odd set against Manly in a team that didn't feature A Johns in 1995?

Or did he play in that game?
i was a bit young to recall to be honest, however we still had a lot of homegrown heroes back then... and it's the old "don't know what you've got 'til it's gone really (or 'til it's there in the first place too i guess). in those earlier days we couldn't really miss what we never had.

i think it's a valid assumption that losing (arguably) the greatest player of all time is going to have an effect on crowds in the short to mid term.

Big Tim

First Grade
Its the stand.

People bitched for years and years that we needed a stand, and our ground was second rate.

They build the stand, in the Hagan and local boys era, and people dont come and complain because they cant "sit on the hill, like in the old days"

People are the problem.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Two reasons come to mind immediatly

1. Current economic climate coupled with the massive hike in entry prices for games. $28 to get in is pretty exe when it used to cost $10 in the late '90s.

2. Foxtel. In the late '90s if a game wasnt on channel 9 (or the ABC sat arvo game) then the only choice you had was to get to the game.

Karmawave

Bench
Two reasons come to mind immediatly

1. Current economic climate coupled with the massive hike in entry prices for games. $28 to get in is pretty exe when it used to cost $10 in the late '90s.

2. Foxtel. In the late '90s if a game wasnt on channel 9 (or the ABC sat arvo game) then the only choice you had was to get to the game.

Can understand point 2 100%.

Not so sure about point 1 though. Its all relative. What has been the overall rate of inflation ( wages/prices of products and services etc ) since 1995?

Jono078

Referee
To be 100% honest I havnt even been to a Knights home game this year.

Don't know why, it's gone that quick and I don't know how I missed out on one.

Foxtel is a huge factor though. As things stand we will get rid of it within one month. So next year I imagine I will be going to at least half the home games.

Would definitely love to go to this weeks too. Will have to try and organize something soon if it isnt already sold out.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Can understand point 2 100%.

Not so sure about point 1 though. Its all relative. What has been the overall rate of inflation ( wages/prices of products and services etc ) since 1995?

I dunno mate, guess it just seems that life is more expensive these days in comparison.

NS_Sherlock

Juniors
They build the stand, in the Hagan and local boys era, and people dont come and complain because they cant "sit on the hill, like in the old days"
Can't park on the Hill - that's for sure. My father used to park up there for local League games before the Knights came along. It was a big oval then and you were always a bit too far away. Sun in your eyeslate afternoon was a hassle too (as it probably is now).

mightypanther

Juniors
I just mentioned this in one of your other threads, but I am curious as to the answer. On tonight's footy show they said that about 17,000 tickets had already been sold, and I curious as to the current capacity since your upgrade? Does anyone know the official number?

macavity

Referee
I just mentioned this in one of your other threads, but I am curious as to the answer. On tonight's footy show they said that about 17,000 tickets had already been sold, and I curious as to the current capacity since your upgrade? Does anyone know the official number?

about 18.5k atm

Latest posts