What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"It's a title or nothing" Matt Elliott

Sleep

Juniors
Penrith coach Matt Elliott says his players must put it all on the line

By James Phelps
August 05, 2009 Penrith coach Matt Elliott would rather miss out on the finals than become cannon fodder for the Bulldogs or St George Illawarra in the playoffs.
With 12 teams in the running for a finals berth in a logjam, Elliott said scraping into the eight would not be good enough for his Panthers, who are in fifth spot.

"You really need momentum going into the finals," he said.

"There is no point going in with no form and being thrown out in the first week. What is the point of making the finals and being tossed out in the first week? That will not be good enough for our club and that is not what we are aiming for.

"We need to start building momentum now because just making the eight is not what we want.

"We are not really even looking at the table because we know if we play well and build then the rest will take care of itself."

There are just four points separating the Panthers from the 12th-placed Parramatta with five weeks to the finals.

"I think it was about the same last year," Elliott said.

"You have a number of teams that are in a position to make the finals and you see a couple hitting some form like the Tigers and Eels are at the moment. We could probably afford to lose a game or two mathematically but, as I said, we don't want to do that because finals football is all about momentum."

Of the teams outside the top four, the Panthers have arguably the toughest run home, beginning with the Dragons on Friday night.

"It is a really big game for us," Elliott said.

"That has been our focus. This is a big test and we will know where we are at after the match."

Despite winning three on the trot and facing a kind draw, Parramatta coach Daniel Anderson said the Eels were still outsiders to make the eight.

"We can't afford to slip up and we understand that," he said.

"We have a very big game this weekend against the Knights and it's very important for both teams but especially us.

"It would be very, very difficult for us to make the finals if we didn't get the chocolates this weekend.

"Even though we are only a few points away we are still a long shot.

"Our for-and-against is a bit off the mark but I don't know if it will be relevant.

"We just have to win games instead of worrying about that.

"We just need to win and that is the bottom line."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25885089-5018866,00.html

thommo4pm

Coach
If I was a Penrith fan, I would have concerns with my coach looking too far ahead.
He is already talking about the finals, and the possibility of losing another match or two.
I think Elliott tends to get a little too excited and gets ahead of himself a bit.

Sleep

Juniors
On one hand I like his mindset that we can't say "Oh well, two or three wins and we're in". He's all about winning every game and isn't content with just making the finals.

On the other hand, he should just be focusing on the game ahead. Last week they came out, scored and early try and to me it sounds like they thought "We've got this easy" and hit cruise control and were lucky to get out of jail and have a few others results go their way.

TheFrog

Coach
The trouble is, its hard for this club top say "We will build upon this effort next year" By next year the poachers will have struck and picked the meat out of our side and we'll be back with a team of promising kids.

Really, Elliott is just stating the bleeding obvious. We want to win every game. We want to do as well in the comp as possible. The same as every other club.

Last edited:

GongPanther

Referee
"Penrith coach Matt Elliott would rather miss out on the finals than become cannon fodder for the Bulldogs or St George Illawarra in the playoffs."

Is the author of this story fair dinkum?

More to the point,why is anyone believing this s**t?

murraymob

Coach
elliott is a clown.
i want to be in the semi finals not miss out.If that means losing first up so be it.The good players only want to be at the clubs playing semi footy .The sponsors want to be involved with clubs playing finals footy.Missing out should not be something considered by the coach

mxlegend99

Referee
Yep. I'd be happy with finishing 8th and being knocked up Round 1. It would be the most success the club has had in 5 years. While it's far from ideal... we can aim to better ourselves next season.

Sleep

Juniors
I should reword what I said so I don't come across as a douchey douche. Basically, I'd be happy making the finals in 7th or 8th. As other people have said we haven't been there recently so it'd be an improvement.

But, I think we can do better than 7th or 8th so a part of me would also be a bit disappointed. We gave the Bulldogs a shake both times we played them anyhow and I fear them about as much as I do the boogie man.

Fibroman

First Grade
It's all about being in the contest. Elliott unfortunately must take the fall for the inadequacies of the side on the paddock.

I dont think there is anything wrong with SPECULATING, but I think the team needs to be realistic about the game ahead. Even a loss is a good result if we play well.

Dash it. OKAY!

maple_69

Bench
I'm not surprised we're hearing things like this, with Daniela, Aiton and now probably JTK out the door, our side is only getting weaker on paper.
Ok most of the exodus in previous years has probably been warranted but now its time to build this squad. Have a horrible feeling our next 5 years could be mired in 5-8 finishes and "next year"s.

Kilkenny

Coach
Elliot was only pointing out the obvious.

Historically sides finishing in 7th or 8th have almost always gone out the back door in the first round of semi finals, that is the reality.

I wouldn't read to much into his comments, either way.

I think the bigger picture and concern to most supporters remains our apparent lack of ambition in that we have seriously failed to build up what we have achieved this season.

It would surely bely belief if we were to go into season 2010 with a squad less than what we already have and that is a serious concern. Surely you must always move forward and add value and depth to what we already have and at this stage we would appear not to have done that.

As this season has shown, we have certainly improved but still we do not possess the quality or depth to truly be a top four side. Our results against the better sides have not been great but having said that the opportunity existed for some astute acquistions and retaining those who deserved to be resigned we would surely be otimistic about being ever more competitive next season.

Sadly, as it stands we have done neither, we have any number of players who remain unsigned and there is no indication we are actively competing for the few quality players left on the open market.

Matt Elliot must surely be beside himself as he is not receiving the sort of support that is surely necessary to take this club forward.

The financial woes currently being experienced by our licenced clubs resulting in a substantial cut in the grant to the football club for 2010 will ultimately determine it will be difficult for Matt Elliot to work miracles.

A miracle worker he will certainly need to be.

Big Mick

Referee
f**king LOL.

These knobs...I swear to god...I knew when I read this article we'd miss the finals..a month later...and BOOM..correct I am.

Freaking hell.

Knightmare

Coach
Maybe it's time to see if Freddy would be interested in returning to Penruff? It had to happen sooner or later...

abpanther

Staff member
Maybe it's time to see if Freddy would be interested in returning to Penruff? It had to happen sooner or later...

I think I echo the sentiments of many Panthers fans, Freddy turned his back on Penrith a long time ago, I would not want to see him return as a coach both for the reason and the fact that he is completely unproven as a coach.

I think I echo the sentiments of many Panthers fans, Freddy turned his back on Penrith a long time ago, I would not want to see him return as a coach both for the reason and the fact that he is completely unproven as a coach.

fair call but matt elliott has proven to hopeless

mightypanther

Juniors
I can't stand smelliott. He's useless. Can't believe we've gotta put up with the moron for another 2 long miserable seasons because our management are as stupid as he is.