What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phil Gould rips into Panthers pathetic display

abpanther

Staff member
The non-event: Panthers save their worst for last

Phil Gould | September 7, 2009

THE big match was a non-event. Promoted as a sudden-death, last-man-standing battle for the final spot in the play-offs, this game never threatened to fire at any stage and failed to live up to the hype.

Please don't blame the Knights for this big disappointment. They turned up ready to play and gave as well as their tired bodies could give. I will talk more of them in a moment. The Panthers, on the other hand, were an absolute disgrace.

I've never seen such an inept performance from a first-grade football team in such an important match.

In yesterday's Sun-Herald I questioned whether they had the mettle to stride into enemy territory in front of a hostile crowd and produce a win. Their recent form suggested they couldn't - and they didn't. The 35-0 scoreline flattered their appalling effort. Defensively they were ineffective everywhere. This is where you show your commitment and desire. The Panthers gave no indication of either.

Their defence line looked staggered and indecisive. They were beaten on the outside, inside and everywhere in between. I never saw them hit anyone in anger.

In attack they looked amateurish. The Knights defence appeared fragile at times, however, the Panthers looked absolutely clueless in their attempts to capitalise.

Some of the fundamental flaws in their attacking structure and plays defy belief, especially when you consider this was round 26 of the competition and these blokes have been training together for the past 10 months.

The ball movement was slow and laborious. The big men lumbered on to the ball at half-pace and failed to put a dent in their opponents. Decoy runners overran the ball players and even got in their way.

The key attacking players in the team, namely back-rower Frank Pritchard and centre Michael Jennings were starved of quality possession and their attacking opportunities limited as a result. Not that either went looking for extra work - for highly paid and reportedly influential players, they were lazy for mine.

Poor execution and endeavour aside, this team had no definable direction to their play. I could not recognise one solitary tactic or purpose in their attacking raids. Never at any time did they look as though they even recognised potential weaknesses in the Knights' defensive line let alone attempt to exploit them.

At this point let me excuse their captain Trent Waterhouse from all criticism. He at least busted himself tirelessly trying to lift his team and keep them in the game.

Anyway, enough of the losers, let's talk about the Knights. They were competent, without being brilliant. There was nothing in the Knights' performance that suggests they should've been such comfortable winners. However, they had an obvious plan to their attack and the execution was clinical.

Their forwards advanced the ball with ease against the submissive Panthers defence. Halves Scott Dureau and Jarrod Mullen took every opportunity to kick long early in the tackle count to continually turn the big Panthers forwards around. An enthusiastic kick chase team gained every inch out of these tactics and they were able to contain the Panthers at their own end of the field for most of the contest.

This selfish attitude to dominating field position will take you a long way in big matches.

When they did look to move the ball they took the Panthers on down the right-hand side of the field with both long-side and short-side raids.

This is normally Penrith's most dangerous attacking side of the field so I suggest they aimed to get strike players like Pritchard and Jennings making a lot of tackles to wear them out.

They got more than they bargained for because the young sensation Jennings had no answer to the aggressive ball running and footwork of his veteran opponent Adam MacDougall.

"Mad Dog" MacDougall has made a career out of beating the best and torturing the worst of his opponents. He toyed with Jennings yesterday in a five-star display, scoring one try, having a hand in another, and making ground every time he carried the ball. It was pretty to watch.

All in all it was a spirited and well-constructed victory - albeit against inferior and unmotivated opposition.

The Panthers showed no fight and they leave the arena in shame. The Knights live to fight another day - and fight they will.

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/lhqnews/panthers-save-worst-for-last/2009/09/06/1252201133790.html

Couldn't have put it better myself, for a team playing together for 10 months they looked pathetically inept, can't believe we're stuck with this tripe for another 2 years :x

bigfoot

Juniors
Phil Gould just said what I've been saying all year: we have absolutely no game plan, no tactics, no strategies, no nothing... he honestly must just say "alright boys, get out there and... do your thing".

Panthers_God

Juniors
I duno about no game plan....

I reckon its either the game plan is sh*t house or the players dont understand it.

I think with no game plan, players would go after the ball and mix it up being experimental. Penrith showed nothing of that yesterday, it was flat, one out garbage. I have a feeling Elliot is saying "hey boys just keep it simple, one of the ruck stuff." Probably tells Jennings to stay out wide all day and never get the ball. Probably tells the forwards to just run straight and not try to offload.

It's just so bland and boring, no direction or nothing.... I duno, it's hard to tell but if I were a player I wouldn't sit back all day whilst the team did nothing.

We really miss a leader on the field. In my opinion the season was over once Petro was ruled out.

We need to recruit some creativity in the backs. For me we've got nothing besides Gordon and Jennings (who has been MIA for the last 6 weeks).

Lets hope the off season brings forth a different direction in the team. I hope Romelo is our starting 9 with Iosefa off the bench. We need Coote at fullback and Graham to improve fitness.

Walsh really needs to learn how to defend, that attempt on Mullen was disgraceful. At first I thought everyone was a bit harsh on his defense but now I have to agree his form is poor. He has no commitment in defense and has a terrible lateral movement.

pantherz9103

First Grade
You cannot underestimate Petero's importance to the team. He held the side together and led from the front. He helped changed the attitude from late last season into our early season form. Then Elliot did what he does best, instil uncertainty, confusion and over complicate things.

Petero for coach!

raptor1

Juniors
The psycological damage was done when the Broncos' ripped the Panthers apart some weeks ago, when your at this end of the season the emotional side of the game can 'cull' sides very quickley, particularily young sides such as the Panthers, a team building assignment with not alot of wisdom around can take a few seasons to develop, with the Panthers track record '91,2003,maybe 2011/12 looks good, but it still won't stop me from following them, have done since I was about 6 yrs old living at Kingswood and I'm 48 now living in 'Bronco territory? ah well, but the fishings good!!

Caged Panther

First Grade
I really don't see elliott surviving if he shows nothing next year.

Actually that's wrong he may well be here in 20 years with our management.