What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good season

roopy

Referee
Would have been nice to go another game, but we have had some good wins against all the good sides this year, and there is plenty of reason to believe we will hit the ground running with a better side next year, with all our young blokes one year older and one year better.

Now it's time for the Pacific cup and the four nations.

Jono078

Referee
Meh, not in the mood to say good season.

Expectations were much higher. In the end injuries killed us the most.

Funny, I feel like we say that just about every year.

Hanscholo

Bench
Yea we made the semis. Considering the disgusting situation we found ourselves in re Brian Smith leaving, not a bad effort at all. We have the physical side of the game down pat. I thought our effort tonight was outstanding, but, just not good enough. No point showing up and defending your guts out when you cant get out of your own 40, just through sheer stupidity.

Personally, I think we should give Rick Stone next season to prove he can educate our players into playing smart footy...its not like its hard to do the little things in a game that make a difference, kicking when its prudent, holding the ball when its prudent. There is a time and a place for everything and if losing to the bulldogs doesnt wake them up to that then this side has gone as far as it ever will. We should have lapped them tonight, we handed it to them on a platter.

Its Disappointing to end the season with a performance that wasnt our best footy, but perhaps its somthing we needed to learn. Time will tell.

Certainly there are a few key points we need to address for next seasons:

1. Our kicking game, its woeful, in attack and defence it just doesnt give us what we need. It puts us under enormous pressure.
2. Karawana and Naqama off the bench. Not happening Rick, Karawana = Sean Rudder, Naqama is a f**kup waiting to happen, and often does.
3. No leadership when we have the ball. We lack direction when we have the ball, things degrade into hot potato far to regularly for my liking. Less razzle dazzle, more hard running, more leadership from our hooker and halves.
4. Just too much dumb footy like Fa-aoso throwing a no look flick pass 2 mins from half time when we were out on our feet, or running it on the 5th way too often, and when its totally inapproproate...like in a final, when we have a 40-60 possession count. I could go on but you get the point. Dumb football, and we dont need to do it to be a great footy side, in fact, we wont be if we keep it up.

Some things to work on for next season...most of the issues are in their heads.

Last edited:

Misanthrope

Staff member
I remember when a good season constituted making the semis. I'm not really prepared to accept 'seventh and eliminated in convincing fashion by a team playing poorly' as a good season. Acceptable? Maybe.

I would call this season one of the most frustraiting seasons i have ever seen. We were neither here nor there. We could be good if we felt like it, or appaulling if we didnt really feel like putting in. We have a few players that are just frustraiting to watch and i just wonder what goes through their heads e.g Wes tonight grabbing the bulldogs players leg and turning him 180 degrees in full view of everyone.

Hopefully 2010 brings with it a lot more consistency.

Karmawave

Bench
Too many Knights fans are happy and content with mediocrity.

The accepting attitude leads to complacency, consistent failings, and inability to reach the next level required. A level that we've attained in the past and would be reachable again if a bit more accountability was thrown into the fray by a fan base not wanting to just be ' average '.

Jono078

Referee
Too many Knights fans are happy and content with mediocrity.

The accepting attitude leads to complacency, consistent failings, and inability to reach the next level required. A level that we've attained in the past and would be reachable again if a bit more accountability was thrown into the fray by a fan base not wanting to just be ' average '.
And you get that from where? I don't think I can read any of the above posts as being happy?

Apey

Staff member
I see it more of a good season turned sour by injuries and inexperience. For a while there we seemed to be travelling well, but we lost it a bit and then it ended up with a pretty frustrating and disappointing finish.

Hanscholo

Bench
I see it more of a good season turned sour by injuries and inexperience. For a while there we seemed to be travelling well, but we lost it a bit and then it ended up with a pretty frustrating and disappointing finish.

Smith leaving
Injuries

Sure some things hurt our season, no doubt at all. It doesnt excuse professionals earning huge money playing like park amatuers. This season started great, we made the moves we needed to, we played smart controlled football, we beat most of the top 8. We were in most of our games. But, as it wore on, and the harder the games got the more inclined were were to try and trick our way thru defences and to sherk the hard grinding style of game you need to get to, to play in semi finals. No doubt at all injuries assisted that process, but its a habit we need to get out of quickly. If we insist on reacting like that to pressure then sides will work us out, bully us off the ball and we will finish bottom 4 next year. The other sides and coaches are too good not to recognise how to go about beating us.

Oh and...Sides kick on the 5th tackle for a reason, if you think really hard Knights, you might work out why. You may also remember that it was a shock tactic that worked well in small doses, not 3 times a half.

Last edited:

Karmawave

Bench
I think realistically, if we line up our player strength against that of the rest of the NRL, we lack the talent to compete with the top sides.

Our season is best summed up with one word - overachieved.

We overachieved with our team given the talent on our 25 man roster is very, very average overall.

To come 7th with this line up was quite an achievement.

We may be a decent chance of making the 8 in 2010, but I think there is just as much chance we follow the same path of the 2008 overachieving Cronulla Sharks, and have a 2010 along the lines of how the Sharks fared this year. I truly believe it could go either way and if we were bottom 4 next year I would not be surprised.

Generally, we had luck with injuries all year given we played with only 3 halves, Gidley didn't miss any/many games due to injury, De Gois played all year until the semis.

A few injuries to key players next year, and we are a bottom 4 team because the strength of our Top 25 is simply not good enough.

You can only carry a 17 featuring Naiqama, Karawana, Wicks, McDonnell, Dureau so far until you hit the wall.

Last edited:

timka4

Bench
i thought it was a great season, not perfect, but still great. Considering the large amounts of inexperience our team contains, our boys still play with there and heart and have the potential to go far. They are a new team.
Any team that makes the top 8, is a serious contender in every NRL season, so i say congratulations to the boys on this years efforts

D

Deleted member 10972

The Knights need to build their team around the key men:

Gidley
McManus
Sau
?
Vuna/Uate (I don't think having both will work)
Mullen
?
?
De Gois
?
Taia
Houston
Hilder

?
Paterson
?
Fa'aoso

From an outsiders perspective, these are the main long-term prospects for Knights. Ciraldo and Mika are both possible bench options. Tovo, Taufua and Natusch are all talented props but lack something. You need a halfback bad. Simon Williams or Peter Mata'utia can step up for the centre spot.

Wicks, Naiqama, Karawana, Dureau, Rogers, McDonnell are all hopeless. MacDougall and Simpson are past it.

Nuffy

Bench
2010 will really depend on how honest the coach and team are with themselves after the way the season ended.

If they are committed to improvement and hard work and address the weaknesses in the team, they may make an impact.

If they sit back and pat each other on the back and say "well done" then we are finished before we start.

This is my biggest worry with Stone, is he experienced enough to ring the changes or is he just happy to be in the big show.

Time will tell

Alex28

Coach
If tonight highlighted anything we are a class Centre, a Halfback, a class front rower and some talent on the bench short of being a top class team. Stone has some work in front of him next year getting rid of some dead wood and buying the talent we need to be truly competitive.

Misanthrope

Staff member
If tonight highlighted anything we are a class Centre, a Halfback, a class front rower and some talent on the bench short of being a top class team. Stone has some work in front of him next year getting rid of some dead wood and buying the talent we need to be truly competitive.

I said pretty much the same thing in either the game thread or the poll in the NRL forum. We definitely need to be getting more bang for our buck in those areas. I don't think Evarn Tuimavave meets the 'class front rower' tag, either.

chanticleer

Juniors
One teams loss is anothers gain... Im confident Smith will do a greatjob next year - Politis pulled a masterstroke :)

Knights have a good 1,6,7,9 for next year.

BG

Juniors
Generally, we had luck with injuries all year

Imho you're grossly underestimating the impact of playing most of the season without Patto, Cross and Tolar. I also think Ciraldo was poised to surprise many people before his horrible injury (he had a huge off-season and was so impressive in the trials he was selected ahead of Taufua in rd 1).

I know you've made the point in the past that Cross is getting on and injury prone. Obviously whether Patto will now ever reach his potential (massive imho) is also a moot point. However, plenty of doubts were being cast about Doogs not so long ago and he's been tremendous for us this year. It might be a big "if" but get Patto and Cross fit and firing into the 17 instead of Karawana and Naiqama and it would make a tremendous difference imho.

You can only carry a 17 featuring Naiqama, Karawana, Wicks, McDonnell, Dureau so far until you hit the wall.

I'm pretty sure Wicks is the only one of those on really serious coin and the only one likely to be in a full-strength 17. When you consider the likes of Cross, Patto, Tolar, Ciraldo, Rogers and Mcmanus, alongside the squad that lined up against the Dogs I wouldn't really consider the others in our top 20 tbh. How many top-liners do any teams really have outside their top 18 or 19?

Misanthrope

Staff member
One teams loss is anothers gain... Im confident Smith will do a greatjob next year - Politis pulled a masterstroke

He's good at every club he goes to - but only to a certain extent. We kept him a season to long. Let him build a squad, and then ship him out.

BG

Juniors
A few injuries to key players next year, and we are a bottom 4 team because the strength of our Top 25 is simply not good enough.

In such a tight competition you could say that about nearly every team. Look at how the Broncos were travelling only a month ago without some of their key players compared to how they're going now.