What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ongoing thread on 2010 NFL Draft prospects

abpanther

Staff member
I know it's early but I try to watch plenty of games to get personal thoughts on various prospects. If others watch games please post your thoughts here so we can all get an idea of prospects to keep an eye on for the 2010 NFL Draft.

With that said and done, I'll kick things off.

I just finished watching the Texas/Texas Tech game. It was pretty good, but not as exciting as last year's game. Two things stood out:

First, QB Colt McCoy had a bad game. They were just about ready to concede the Heisman to McCoy when this season started, but he's off to a slow start, and if he doesn't play any better than this he won't even be in the running.

Second, I've been reading that Texas DE Sergio Kindle is overrated, but he was terrific tonight. He's quick, tenacious, athletic, and surprisingly strong. On one play, he bull-rushed a 315- pound offensive tackle and tossed him to one side. On another play, he flat out smoked the offensive lineman with an outside rush and hit the quarterback so hard that he knocked his helmet off his head, the ball from his hands, and a contact lens from his eye! He was in the backfield all night long, and the only way that Texas Tech could counter him was with double-team blocking (which didn't always work) or with quick pass plays in which the quarterback got rid of the ball immediately after receiving the shotgun snap. Kindle is listed as 6'4 255. He's a converted linebacker who plays the run as well as he rushes the passer, and looks like the ideal 3-4 edge rusher. What I like about him most is that he's got that desire and unquenchable determination to pressure the passer on every down. If there's a Kindle bandwagon out there, you can put me on it. If there isn't, I'm starting one.

Monk

Referee
Sticky this thread please someone?

Im a huge Sam Bradford fan, if he has a good O-Line there is no stopping what he can do.

Iv'e heard things about a DT from Nebraska who is damn good. dont know anything about him though.

abpanther

Staff member
Done

Sam Bradford hasn't started well so far, he looked pretty good last season with a dominant Oline and plenty of time, however he has struggled so far, will keep a very close eye on him.

The guy you are referring to is Ndamukong Suh, and yes he is a beast.

I'll post some more of notes from the last week or so...

abpanther

Staff member
I watched a good part of the Alabama/Virginia Tech game. DT Terrence Cody looks lighter and weaker. He didn't distinguish himself. I was far more impressed with his teammate, sophomore inside LB Dont'a Hightower, who is about 255 and fast! He also hits like a mack truck.

I was also impressed with Alabama's junior QB Greg McElroy, once he got going. He started slow but finished strong. He has a nice cocky swagger and likes to show off his arm. If he stays in school for his senior year, he'll be worth keeping an eye on.

Tom155

Coach
eric berry been telling you guys about him for ever best player in college football

Last edited:

Tom155

Coach
I watched a good part of the Alabama/Virginia Tech game. DT Terrence Cody looks lighter and weaker. He didn't distinguish himself. I was far more impressed with his teammate, sophomore inside LB Dont'a Hightower, who is about 255 and fast! He also hits like a mack truck.

I was also impressed with Alabama's junior QB Greg McElroy, once he got going. He started slow but finished strong. He has a nice cocky swagger and likes to show off his arm. If he stays in school for his senior year, he'll be worth keeping an eye on.
where do you watch the games? on the net? also ab change your 1st post and make a list of the prospects as people post about them so we dont have to search through the whole thread we can just look at the first post

Last edited:

abpanther

Staff member
where do you watch the games? on the net?

Yeah mate, I know a few good sites, if interested PM me.

Yeah Eric Berry is a stud, will be top 5 pick, may be the best safety prospect to come out since Sean Taylor.

Taylor Mays is overrated IMO

Tom155

Coach
Yeah mate, I know a few good sites, if interested PM me.

Yeah Eric Berry is a stud, will be top 5 pick, may be the best safety prospect to come out since Sean Taylor.

Taylor Mays is overrated IMO
Yep. ab read the other part of my post

Other prospects

Jevan Snead QB Ole Miss
Carlos Dunlap DE Florida
Jahvid Best RB California
Arthur Jones DE/DT Syracuse
Arrelious Benn WR Illinois
Jimmy Clausen QB Notre Dame
Joe Haden CB Florida

Jordan Shipley WR Texas - Wes Welker, Brandon Stokley Clone Gun WR

Dez Bryant WR OK State -
Above average height
Great hands
Will come back to the quarterback and present a window
Dominant on jump balls
Attacks ball at apex
Gets off line of scrimmage
Coordinated and can adjust to the ball
Nice sideline awareness
Tough to tackle
Explosive punt returner
Good running vision
NFL Comparison: Chad Ochocinco Bengals

Sean Weatherspoon LB Missouri -
Outstanding production
Instinctive player and anticipates
Eliminates space quickly
Covers a good amount of ground when dropping into zone
Very fast and explosive athlete
Always around the ball
Terrific change of direction
Form tackler; approaches with near leg and near shoulder
Explodes through ball-carrier; lays the wood
Finds a way to make plays
Good ball skills
Good football IQ
Solid pass-rusher
Vocal leader
Three-year starter and durable
Good amount of upside
NFL Comparison - Ernie Sims Lions

Ras-I Dowling CB Virginia - First-round talent
Elite height and body frame for a corner
Can run stride for stride with receivers down field
Knack for jumping routes; instinctive
Physical on line of scrimmage; nice hands
Very athletic
Great feet and balance
Takes proper angles in run support
Comfortable in press coverage
Shows awareness in zone
Highly competitive
Will take on a block
NFL Comparison - Ike Taylor Steelers

Russell Okung T OK State - Outstanding in both the run and passing games.
Very good height with long arms
Thick, strong lower body
Extremely high level of athleticism
Patient pass protector; does not overextend
Great lateral agility
Consistent footwork
Physical run blocker
Light on his feet
Highly experienced since true freshman year
Very durable - 34 straight starts
Understands angles
Recognizes stunts and blitz assignments
Leader
Tremendous upside
Week 1 starting left tackle
Franchise player
Potential No. 1 overall pick
NFL Comparison - Joe Thomas Browns

Brandon Spikes LB Florida - All-SEC first teamer, playmaker.
Great production since sophomore year
Big-time hitter
Prototype size and strength
Always around the ball; active
Explosive athlete
Diagnoses run well
Disengages from blockers
Aggressive, Physical
Comfortable in space
Good pursuit
Good vision and can locate ball-carrier
Durable
High upside
NFL Comparison - David Harris Jets

Ndamukong Suh DT Nebraska - shows the ability to both control the line of scrimmage and penetrate. Versatile, projects as a defensive tackle in a 4-3 scheme or an end in a 3-4 defense at the next level. Durability is a concern.
Very big frame
Outstanding muscle definition
Good lower body strength
Elite junior year production
Very active; above average motor
Nice second effort
Good agility, Highly athletic
Takes on multiple blockers; run clogger
Grades out well in chase (pursuit) tackling
Disengages from linemen to make tackles
Powerful, Collapses pocket, backfield penetrator
Good instincts
Explosive off snap
Great leadership and solid work ethic
Solid all-around skill set
Good amount of upside
Versatile; can play 1-, 3-, and 5-techniques.
NFL Comparison - Ty Warren Patriots

Greg Hardy DE Ole Miss - Freakishly quick up-field rusher who also saw time at wideout earlier in his college career. Hardy has the size potential to be an every-down NFL player, must prove he can stay healthy as a senior and hold up better versus the run.
Explosive athlete with a sudden first step
Outstanding motor; nice second effort
Does a good job of staying low and gaining leverage
Balanced and shows great flexibility
Textbook pass-rush technique
Deadly spin move
Nice speed rush
Anticipates snap count well
Has a repertoire of moves
Reads development of play and reacts
Comfortable in space
Closes quickly from backside
Nice change of direction
NFL Comparison - Gaines Adams Bucs

Gerald Mccoy DT Oklahoma
Impressive size
Elite-level athleticism
Explosive off snap
Impressive instincts
Shows ability to disengage quickly
Great lateral agility
Good vision; finds ballcarrier
Penetrates well; knows how to get under a lineman
Displays good pad level
Nice speed; plays fast
Wide pass rush repertoire
Shows good balance and coordination; flexible athlete
Adequate upper body strength
Very good motor and stamina
Durable
Great intangibles and work ethic
Prototype three-technique
NFL Comparison: Kevin Williams

Last edited:

Mal Meninga

Bench
On Tim Tebow - The Jags will draft him to boost their crowd attendance and general interest within the public.

Crabtree - Will be asking for #1 money next season.

Big Mick

Referee
On Tim Tebow - The Jags will draft him to boost their crowd attendance and general interest within the public.

Crabtree - Will be asking for #1 money next season.

I saw that. Tebow going to Jags.

Assuming Jags have a middle pick again this year...with a developing O-Line...I don't think that's the best idea.

Tebow I don't think...will make a massive impact in the NFL. He's exactly what Pat White is. He doesn't have the arm of David Gerrard so I don't understand it tbh.

I really liked the look of the young QB on last weeks upset game...I forget who i'll have to research...but looked smart...threw some beautiful balls.

Ice Ice Brady

Juniors
If Crabtree re enters the draft next year, he cannot attend any of the combines or have any try outs with any teams as he is the property of the 49ers until the day of the draft. The guy should just suck it up and sign. Idiot.

Tom155

Coach
I saw that. Tebow going to Jags.

Assuming Jags have a middle pick again this year...with a developing O-Line...I don't think that's the best idea.

Tebow I don't think...will make a massive impact in the NFL. He's exactly what Pat White is. He doesn't have the arm of David Gerrard so I don't understand it tbh.

I really liked the look of the young QB on last weeks upset game...I forget who i'll have to research...but looked smart...threw some beautiful balls.
Case Keenum Houston

Tom155

Coach
Are you asking for a list of prospects as people refer to them on this thread????
yeah saw it on one teams forum when people mention a prospect he edited the post on the front page worked really well

Last edited:

abpanther

Staff member
yeah saw it on one teams forum when people mention a prospect he edited the post on the front page worked really well

But people will still have to go through the thread to find the relevant info, unless I also put what page the info is on??

Tom155

Coach
But people will still have to go through the thread to find the relevant info, unless I also put what page the info is on??
Yeah that should work if you put the number too cant remember exactly how they did it but it was something along those lines

Tom155

Coach
A couple of others:
Ricky Sapp, DE-OLB, Clemson
Joe Pawelek, ILB, Baylor
Earl Thomas, S, Texas
Eric Decker, WR, Minnesota
Jerry Hughes, OLB-DE, TCU
Dan LeFevour, QB, Central Michigan
Eric Norwood DE/OLB South Carolina

Last edited:

dragonfire

Bench
If Crabtree re enters the draft next year, he cannot attend any of the combines or have any try outs with any teams as he is the property of the 49ers until the day of the draft. The guy should just suck it up and sign. Idiot.

At this point in time after every game the offer from the 49'ers decreases. It is obvious that he isnt signing with them, i would be surprised if he did. To be honest i dont know whether it is the money or whether he just doesnt want to be playing for that team. He will not get drafted anywhere near as high next year either.

I would love the Saints to be able to pick Berry, but unless we are picking in the top5 there is no chance it will happen. Weatherspoon is our best bet.

Raider_69

Post Whore
I suspect by draft time next year Philly will have 3 first rounders

We get a first rounder of our own, pretty sure we have one owing us this year from the Jets/Lito Sheppard Trade and i suspect come end of season, Michael Vick will be traded to a team in desperate need of a QB. For a 1st... maybe 2nd

I'd like to see us focus on defense. We're set in skills offence, with Jackson, Maclin, Gibson all young. Celek and hopefully Ingram next year as TE's, McCoy and Westy in the RB committee.

I think we need a stud LB, an O-lineman to replace Andrews and a DE would be good