What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Civoniceva anoints Fui as top prop

lucablight

First Grade
The Artist Formerly Known As The World's Best Prop has handed the No.1 tag to Kiwi wrecking ball Fuifui Moimoi.
Petero Civoniceva was one of 24 Kangaroos entering camp at Homebush Bay yesterday ahead of the Four Nations tournament, which also involves New Zealand, Great Britain and France. Tongan-born Moimoi, the bruising sensation of the NRL finals for Parramatta, will represent the Kiwis with Civoniceva having awarded him the ultimate accolade.
''He's the benchmark now,'' Civoniceva said yesterday. ''There's no doubt about that. There are a lot of good front-rowers - Ben Hannant and Brett White and a lot of others - but what Fui did during the finals was unbelievable. That was the finest and most sustained front-rower's performance I've seen in a long time.
''He led that Parramatta pack all through the back end of their season. It's going to be very, very tough for us to contain him. That's a huge challenge. He plays a lot of minutes, he has a huge impact with every carry he does and some of his defence has become outstanding. He's nearly the complete package.''
Civoniceva's standing as the world's greatest prop was undisputed before he suffered a severe toe injury during State of Origin II in June. The 33-year-old Penrith captain was sidelined throughout Moimoi's barge through the last three months of the season.
''You want to test yourself against the best in the world, so it's a huge opportunity for all us front-rowers to test ourselves against Fui,'' he said.
''We all knew, before this year, the amount of potential he had. It was just a matter of getting more minutes out of him. He's learned how to play a lot of minutes and still come up with those explosive runs that he's become known for.
''He's in great shape physically and set the standard for the rest of us front-rowers. There was that real good shot he had on Brett White in the grand final - Fui didn't miss him. And then you've got the way crowds get behind him. Not just the Parramatta crowds, every footy fan starts chanting his name. He's what we need in our game, character players like that.' '
Hannant became the Dally M prop of the year in Civoniceva's absence but Moimoi finished the season with his head and broad shoulders ahead of the pack. White's eyes lit up like firecrackers at the thought of another merry dance with Moimoi in the Four Nations.
''He's great opposition,'' White said. ''We'll have another go. The collisions are powerful and you get used to it during the season, and we're fully aware of what can happen in a game, but you've got a job to do so you just get on with it. I've heard a lot of people talk about that hit in the grand final but I haven't seen it on video yet. All I know is your whole desire to play rugby league comes from the desire to get up from hits like that.''
Few sights in league can beat two props charging at each like angered bulls and Moimoi's confrontation with Australia's Test pack will fill a highlights reel or two.
White grew up relishing the combat between former Newcastle captain Paul Harragon and his mortal enemy, Manly's Mark Carroll.
''You just want to do what is right for your team,'' White said. ''It's just the passion we all play with, the passion we all have. It's been going on for years. The Chief [Harragon] and Spud [Carroll] - I grew up idolising those blokes … I was in to everything Spud and Chief were doing.
''I've got vivid memories of those two. I don't know if Fui and I have the same kind of rivalry yet, that's probably for other people to talk about. But it's good to be part of. All these rivalries, it's nothing against the other bloke as a person. The competition is just something we enjoy … I've got enormous respect for the bloke.''
link: http://www.smh.com.au/news/lhqnews/civoniceva-anoints-fui-as-top-prop/2009/10/13/1255195784519.html

lucablight

First Grade
Great to see Fui finally get the recognition he deserves this season. He has been one of our best for many seasons.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Fui hates this kind of attendtion. I dont blame him, he is better when the focus is off him.

But he is the best front rower at the moment.

DeeJ

Bench
Fui hates this kind of attendtion. I dont blame him, he is better when the focus is off him.

But he is the best front rower at the moment.

I find it hard to believe that a man who has had so many different, flamboyant hairstyles would hate attention, but I guess the Aussies are painting a pretty big target on him.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
shame he doesn't get paid like the best front rower

its odd really when you consider the money he is on and what Cayless is on considering Cayless generally cant even bend, let alone break the defensive line

born an eel

Bench
its odd really when you consider the money he is on and what Cayless is on considering Cayless generally cant even bend, let alone break the defensive line
fancy our club captain and world cup winning captain being well paid.

Can't people praise others without degrading our players. :crazy:

And yes Fui should be one of the highest paid props in the game.

ParraAds

Juniors
How does his salary affect anyone here?

I'm sure a lot of people out there in the real world feel underpaid as well....

Gronk

Staff member
He's come a long way from the big unfit unit that arrived from Souths. Cudos to Brian Smith and the recruitment staff who saw his potential.

Kornstar

Coach
His game in the GF was absolutely punishing, he was possesed, the impact was amazing......glad he is on our side!