What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Carney's first day at the Roosters

Geohood

Bench
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0,26746,26277925-5003409,00.html

THESE are the first nervous steps in Todd Carney's comeback as the former bad boy finally relaunched what has been a tumultuous and at times painful NRL career.

The Daily Telegraph captured Carney attending orientation day at the Sydney Roosters' Moore Park headquarters yesterday when he met his new teammates for the first time.

Carney looked calm yet determined as he spoke about the past and the future ahead of his first training run with the Roosters on Monday morning.

The former Canberra star arrived in Sydney on Wednesday after a stint with the Atherton Roosters in far north Queensland while he was deregistered by the NRL.

"We had a meeting this morning where we had some medical scans and an induction,'' Carney said.

"I met the players. It's definitely exciting. I am jumping out of my skin for Monday to come. I want to get back into the scheme of things.

"I can't thank the Roosters enough. They gave me great support when I went to Atherton. I just want to repay that faith they have shown in me. I hope we can all work together and I want to be part of this club.''

Carney's enthusiasm will be met with some trepidation by Roosters fans. He has had a troubled and dramatic career, some exceptional football marred by a series of off-field indiscretions.

He turned up yesterday in thongs, shorts and a T-shirt as he eased himself back into the flow of the NRL.

Asked if his behavioural problems were behind him, Carney said: "Definitely. I wanted a second chance and I have now got it. It's now up to me to take the next step. It will be in the back of everyone's mind. I have made my bed, I now have to lie in it.

"I'm sure it will keep coming up, but no one else can fix that but me.

"I have to behave and get on with my life. A lot of people will be, not so much wanting me to stuff up, but will be having bets on it. It's not so much me wanting to prove them wrong but to prove me right.

"I want to put the past behind me. I am treating this like my first season in the NRL. It's up to me to take the ball and run with it.''

adamkungl

Immortal
The guy sounds determined. I honestly think this will be one of our best signings of all time.

Sood

Juniors
I always thought he was highly overrated. Hope he proves me horribly wrong.

Tom Ace

Bench
The guy sounds determined. I honestly think this will be one of our best signings of all time.

I've got every single thing that can be crossed, crossed that he is.

He could be the catalyst (along with Smith) to us going on to great things in the coming few years. Equally he could crash and burn and the Roosters could go along with him.

Asked if his behavioural problems were behind him, Carney said: "Definitely. I wanted a second chance and I have now got it. It's now up to me to take the next step. It will be in the back of everyone's mind. I have made my bed, I now have to lie in it.

Shame for the Raiders that he didnt take even his 10th chance.

Guys a walking time bomb, who will be reaching for the bottle the second Smith starts cracking the whip.

I predict he'll get a solid 4-5 chances b4 getting the arse after all the effort the Roosters went to, to get him and keep other clubs away.

Dave Q

Coach
This guys not just another foolish mug, hes got a genuine problem upstairs.

I hope he can sort it out for his own and society's sake.

And theres a lot of good footy in him, hes got the talent.

So good luck to him.

Anyone not willing to give him the genuine benefit of the doubt, you suck.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
This guys not just another foolish mug, hes got a genuine problem upstairs.

I figured he was just someone who liked partying too hard and didn't know when to call it quits. Lots of people turn into utter dickheads on the drink.

Monk

Referee
This makes me very nervous. A Big big gamble by the roosters.

I hope it pays off.

badav

Bench
he really doesnt deserve a 39th chance (or 2nd depending who you ask) given that any "lesser" player wouldn't have been afforded even half the chances he's had.

but good luck too him anyway. i hope he does well for himself, but i still believe hes dumb as a box of rocks and will find trouble pretty soon.

adamkungl

Immortal
he really doesnt deserve a 39th chance (or 2nd depending who you ask) given that any "lesser" player wouldn't have been afforded even half the chances he's had.

I don't get this argument. Why should lesser players get as many chances, when they have nowhere near as much to offer. Life isn't equal.

Raider_69

Post Whore
I don't get this argument. Why should lesser players get as many chances, when they have nowhere near as much to offer. Life isn't equal.

what i dont get is why todd carney continually refers to this situation as giving him a 2nd chance... todd has already received his 2nd chance, and his 3rd and 4th and 5th and so on, to the tune of 31 indiscretions

But good luck to Todd Carney, i hope he makes the most of his 32nd chance

blackandwhite

Juniors
I figured he was just someone who liked partying too hard and didn't know when to call it quits. Lots of people turn into utter dickheads on the drink.

Sadly from what I am told he and his whole family all have real problems in the upstairs department and unfortunately the drink doesn't improve their intelligence.

There is absolutely no way this guy will stay out of trouble... just more bad publicity guaranteed for the NRL in 2010.

Its ridiculous that he is given "one" more chance ...Tim Smith, Carney, Bird and all the other idiots have had their chances...move on and lets see the young talent have their chance now.

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
I'm a raiders fan who is a big also a fan of todds.

I hope we see him back to his best even if in the wrong colours. I'd be interested to see how he, anasta and pearce share the work load. Todds a great player, but similar to alot of other young halves who have a great running game but arent really organisers. I also dont rate carney defensively, but i guess pearce is a better defender than your average half so maybe it evens itself out.

I really really hope his turned a corner. If he has the roosters have picked up one of the games best five eights and i'm sure it'd be on the cheap a bit as well.

Latest posts