What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL V's Union crowd averages

taste2taste

Juniors
Crowd Averages for the major Rugby League and Union competitions around the world

Super 14 (Aus,NZ,SA) 21,504
NRL - 17,094
Heineken Cup (UK,Ire,Fra,Italy,Romania) - 14,900
Top 14 (Fra) - 12,106
Guinness Premier League Rugby(Eng) - 11,786
Currie Cup(SA) - 11,433
English Super League - 9,336
Magners League(Wales,Scot,Ire) - 8,126
Air NZ Cup - 7,203
Top League Rugby (Jap) - 4,306
Super 10 (Italy) - 1,443

Obviously Union dwarfs League when it comes to internationals, which seems to be where the interest is, in all the countries that play union it is the number one sport in 2 (NZ,Wales). On a domestic scale the NRL is second, which i think is pretty good for a code thats always being knocked for its "empty stadiums"
PS These figures came from Wikipedia but with a little research i believe them to be correct.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I'm not sure that at a domestic level in Australia there's anything comparable in RU to the NRL. Super 14 isn't on the same level for the simple fact it's provincial, not domestic.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The SL avg is dragged down dramaticaly by the two expansion clubs who avg less than 4,000 each.

VictoryFC

Bench
EPL crowds are sadly bigger then the English Super League crowds.

To think yeah, I thought Englands national sport was rugby league. It must be really killing you living in Newcastle hey? How does someone who hates soccer so much survive in the north east?

_Johnsy

Referee
The super 14 is equivelant to a state game, compare the crowds with origin.

Or, compare NRL with the best Australian domestic union competition weekly crowds, that will give you an idea of the state of yawnion in this country, its a joke.

Red Bear

Referee
The waratahs have 6-7 games a year as a one team town, compared to rugby league there being approx 100??? games in sydney each year with 9 different teams
no comparrison at a domestic level

_Johnsy

Referee
Crowd Averages for the major Rugby League and Union competitions around the world

Super 14 (Aus,NZ,SA) 21,504
NRL - 17,094
Heineken Cup (UK,Ire,Fra,Italy,Romania) - 14,900
Top 14 (Fra) - 12,106
Guinness Premier League Rugby(Eng) - 11,786
Currie Cup(SA) - 11,433
English Super League - 9,336
Magners League(Wales,Scot,Ire) - 8,126
Air NZ Cup - 7,203
Top League Rugby (Jap) - 4,306
Super 10 (Italy) - 1,443

Obviously Union dwarfs League when it comes to internationals, which seems to be where the interest is, in all the countries that play union it is the number one sport in 2 (NZ,Wales). On a domestic scale the NRL is second, which i think is pretty good for a code thats always being knocked for its "empty stadiums"
PS These figures came from Wikipedia but with a little research i believe them to be correct.

Did you mean yours ?

_Johnsy

Referee
This always makes me laugh, the Mada ARC was going to be the saviour of domestic rugby union in this country. The final was held at Bluetongue stadium;
http://aru.rugby.com.au/matches/tournaments/australian_rugby_championship/2007/final,71696.html
Central Coast Rays 20
Tries: Beau Robinson, Peter Hewat
Conversions: Peter Hewat 2/2
Penalties: Peter Hewat 2/3
Melbourne Rebels 12
Tries: James Hanson, David Croft
Conversions: Jack Farrer 1/2
Crowd 4189 at Bluetongue Central Coast Stadium

Teddyboy

First Grade
To think yeah, I thought Englands national sport was rugby league. It must be really killing you living in Newcastle hey? How does someone who hates soccer so much survive in the north east?
It's hard i tell you but the drink kills the pain.

The Observer

Staff member
Are there credible sources for Super 14 crowds in SA?

In the link 2009 Super 14 season, the crowd figures are all cited. Another good link is www.statbunker.com

Super 14 2009 home average attendance is another link, but doesn't have attendance for every single match. The Bulls crowd there probably includes their home semi and final.

South Africa's 3 best Super 14 franchises are the best supported pro teams, in either code, on the planet, with the team, and its average:

Sharks (Durban, Kwa-Zulu Natal) - 33,878
Stormers (Cape Town, Western Cape) - 33,568
Bulls (Pretoria, Gauteng) - 33,353

The Southern Kings, aiming for the 15th franchise, drew 35,853 to a tour game against the British Lions, the highest attendance for all the provincial tour games, only smaller than the Emerging Springboks game and the 3 tests.

The Lions and Cheetahs finished at the bottom of Super 14 and drew much smaller crowds.

The Observer

Staff member
I'm not sure that at a domestic level in Australia there's anything comparable in RU to the NRL. Super 14 isn't on the same level for the simple fact it's provincial, not domestic.

Super 14 teams are full time professional franchises, the NRL teams are full time professional franchises, so comparing NRL and Super 14 is a like for like comparison. When Super 14 expands to Super 15 in 2011, the new regional conference structure will create twice as many local derbies, so the crowd averages everywhere will rise.

Goddo

Bench
Super 15 crowds to rise? I don't think so. They will stay the same. It will be intersting to see how the Melbourne team goes. Will TV ratings for Union go up. thats the real question, and all the current trends say no, and that they will get a smaller TV deal

The Tank

Bench
In the link 2009 Super 14 season, the crowd figures are all cited. Another good link is www.statbunker.com

Super 14 2009 home average attendance is another link, but doesn't have attendance for every single match. The Bulls crowd there probably includes their home semi and final.

South Africa's 3 best Super 14 franchises are the best supported pro teams, in either code, on the planet, with the team, and its average:

Sharks (Durban, Kwa-Zulu Natal) - 33,878
Stormers (Cape Town, Western Cape) - 33,568
Bulls (Pretoria, Gauteng) - 33,353

The Southern Kings, aiming for the 15th franchise, drew 35,853 to a tour game against the British Lions, the highest attendance for all the provincial tour games, only smaller than the Emerging Springboks game and the 3 tests.

The Lions and Cheetahs finished at the bottom of Super 14 and drew much smaller crowds.

Brisbane average 34k

flamin

Juniors

On the wiki page there are plenty of games with no crowd stats and some of the ones that are available seem to be estimates with 25 000, 17 500, 50 000 etc being common. The same is the case with the statbunker site. Also, the crowd averages appear to be only for hand full of games - not the full season. I don't dispute that these teams don't get the crowds they're saying - as I have no idea about Super 14 at all - but the information doesn't seem very complete or credible.

Last edited:

Latest posts