What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbourne Storm V super 15 rugby

Canard

Immortal
:lol:

the all blacks just packed out a stadium in Tokyo... last season they filled out Croke Park in Ireland. and this weekend they sold out the 80,000 seat San Siro in Italy. the biggest non-football crowd ever to play in that stadium.

your deluded if you think International league isnt light years behind of International Rugby.

you want to compare domestic competitions?? apart from the NRL & ESL what else is there?? while the NRL is dominant in Australia the same can hardly be said of the ESL. i would venture to say the guisness premiership would be pretty close to the ESL.

Then you can compare the domestic comps in Ireland, Scotland, Wales, France, Japan & Italy. then theres SA & NZ.

f**king light years...

The All Blacks are something beyond Rugby Union though, they are like the Harlem Globetrotters, even non-fans of the sport know about them.

When the Wallabies or South Africa pack out the San Siro or Rio main Stadium that would be extraordinary.

I agree that Union has a much bigger global footprint than league. I can tell you that living in London for the last 4 years (the south east of England) league had a much smaller presence than Union. (totally different in the north of course.)

But even my staunchest Union mates agree that the NRL is the best domestic competition in ANY code of Rugby in the world.

Teddyboy

First Grade
SANZAR should have replaced the Currie and Air New Zealand with the extended Super 16's with South Africa getting the Southern Kings in for a SA 6 team conference and alongside a 10 team trans-tasman league.

I hope Super 14 and Tir-Nations dies.

incomparable

Juniors
Typical bashing of RU from RL only supporters.

You've got to remember that when the storm did come into existence that a lot of people down here initally thought it WAS UNION NOT LEAGUE!

Now lets make my situation clear, I'm anti-storm but they ain't going anywhere. The NRL will lose all credibility as a NATIONAL COMPETITION if they disappear.

You've got to remember that when the storm did come into existence that a lot of people down here initally thought it WAS UNION NOT LEAGUE!

Now lets make my situation clear, I'm anti-storm but they ain't going anywhere. The NRL will lose all credibility as a NATIONAL COMPETITION if they disappear.

Now a lot of people in Melbourne do know the difference. They know that Rugby union is that boring sport in which the team that wins kicks the most penalty goals and where all the rugby league rejects play whilst rugby league is that exciting sport with the best athletes. Rugby Union has already tried and failed with a rugby union team in Melbourne.

Gaba

First Grade
:lol:

the all blacks just packed out a stadium in Tokyo... last season they filled out Croke Park in Ireland. and this weekend they sold out the 80,000 seat San Siro in Italy. the biggest non-football crowd ever to play in that stadium.

your deluded if you think International league isnt light years behind of International Rugby.

you want to compare domestic competitions?? apart from the NRL & ESL what else is there?? while the NRL is dominant in Australia the same can hardly be said of the ESL. i would venture to say the guisness premiership would be pretty close to the ESL.

Then you can compare the domestic comps in Ireland, Scotland, Wales, France, Japan & Italy. then theres SA & NZ.

f**king light years...

Union has hardly a domestic competition in Australia which is the important point im making

Union in Australia is mainly an overseas competition , which is weaker then the league domestic competition

stormtragic

Juniors
I dont see them as a threat, I dare say alot of people now prefer League to Union where as if they were in Melb 10 years ago it mightbe other way around.
Probably be a small section of fans who will support both but I dont think it will hurt Storm crowds.

Loudstrat

Coach

The morons down there didn't know there was a difference. They knew it was called Rugby, and involved running into people. That was it.

Now they know there is two sports, but both are still called Rugby, and still mish mash the idea that Billy Slater could play for the Wallabies.

As for Shiznit's toss off over the Awl Blicks (glossing over the fact that Yawnion is hopelessly behind league in interstate and domestic) - so what? That means nothing in Melboring. Just as the Dragons 11 straight comps, Changas white boot or Kennys 2 tries in 3 consecutive GF's mean sweet FA.

I think Union could damage League down there. People will get confused between the two, and won't know why every second week the Storm ditch the Violet Crumble bar jumpers.

I cannot wait for them to cheer on the Stormers in Stupid 15, thinking they are cheering the Storm in NRL.

Bench
I dont see them as a threat, I dare say alot of people now prefer League to Union where as if they were in Melb 10 years ago it mightbe other way around.
Probably be a small section of fans who will support both but I dont think it will hurt Storm crowds.
Lets hope your right,and thats how it pans out,we all know that the NRL product is a way bettter product than super 14/15,lets hope the Melbourne public see it that way.

The morons down there didn't know there was a difference. They knew it was called Rugby, and involved running into people. That was it.

Now they know there is two sports, but both are still called Rugby, and still mish mash the idea that Billy Slater could play for the Wallabies.

As for Shiznit's toss off over the Awl Blicks (glossing over the fact that Yawnion is hopelessly behind league in interstate and domestic) - so what? That means nothing in Melboring. Just as the Dragons 11 straight comps, Changas white boot or Kennys 2 tries in 3 consecutive GF's mean sweet FA.

I think Union could damage League down there. People will get confused between the two, and won't know why every second week the Storm ditch the Violet Crumble bar jumpers.

I cannot wait for them to cheer on the Stormers in Stupid 15, thinking they are cheering the Storm in NRL.

Good one...stop generalising.

Perth Red

Post Whore
My experience is people know there are two sorts but when I say I am a "rugby" fan they instantly presume I mean Union and its not till I say "no , league" that they understand. That has alot to do with the fact Union still has a much higher profile in Non RL areas than RL has sadly.

Knownothing

Juniors
My experience is people know there are two sorts but when I say I am a "rugby" fan they instantly presume I mean Union and its not till I say "no , league" that they understand. That has alot to do with the fact Union still has a much higher profile in Non RL areas than RL has sadly.

There is also the snob factor. For example, anybody who has ever won a Rhodes Scholarship - and/or has attended Oxford or Cambridge (and a lot of the business, farming, and professional elite in places like Melbourne have done so) are aware of rugby union. Very difficult to combat this, the aura of the game is more important than what happens on the field, to a lot of people in leadership positions in the community, politics, etc.

Canard

Immortal
There is also the snob factor. For example, anybody who has ever won a Rhodes Scholarship - and/or has attended Oxford or Cambridge (and a lot of the business, farming, and professional elite in places like Melbourne have done so) are aware of rugby union. Very difficult to combat this, the aura of the game is more important than what happens on the field, to a lot of people in leadership positions in the community, politics, etc.

I think its a bit of a stretch to say that its Rhodes Scholars and Oxbridge alumni that are Union fans in Melbourne, Im guessing there is probably only about 10 such people in the City that would qualify for this criteria.

The "snob" factor is definitely there but I think its anyone that has attended private schools rather than the most famous Unis in the world.

Knownothing

Juniors
I think its a bit of a stretch to say that its Rhodes Scholars and Oxbridge alumni that are Union fans in Melbourne, Im guessing there is probably only about 10 such people in the City that would qualify for this criteria.

The "snob" factor is definitely there but I think its anyone that has attended private schools rather than the most famous Unis in the world.

I don't think those sorts of people are necessarily fans, but they do have a lot of influence, on business decisions, sponsorship, etc.

Mike Fitzpatrick, for example, attended Oxbridge. I am guessing that he would have some sort of interest in a rugby union franchise because of that.

Canard

Immortal
I don't think those sorts of people are necessarily fans, but they do have a lot of influence, on business decisions, sponsorship, etc.

Mike Fitzpatrick, for example, attended Oxbridge. I am guessing that he would have some sort of interest in a rugby union franchise because of that.

Sorry mate, eventhough Ive lived in Melbourne since May, Im not up on my local celebrities/identities, who is Mike Fitzpatrick??

Knownothing

Juniors
Sorry mate, eventhough Ive lived in Melbourne since May, Im not up on my local celebrities/identities, who is Mike Fitzpatrick??

Fitzpatrick captained Carlton in the AFL for many years, and won a couple of premierships. He now heads up an infrastructure company.

Canard

Immortal
Fitzpatrick captained Carlton in the AFL for many years, and won a couple of premierships. He now heads up an infrastructure company.

Righto, so what has he got to do with the Union team?

Im not baiting you this is a serious question, or are you just listing him as representative of Melbourne's "elite" that may or may not have an interest in Union because of there backgrounds.

Perth Red

Post Whore
He does have a good point. Many top business people or old family money people went to private schools and then Uni's where RU is the number one game. They grew up with it and therefore have an affinity to it (just go to a game at twickenham, the silver spoons are litearally falling out of mouths everywhere! This does give RU a very direct link to $'s and sponsors. The Western Force have had a very good financial run due to this and no doubt the same will be the case for the Rebels.

Brutus

Referee
It just amazes me when my Vic friends visit me during the footy season and they are truly gobsmackedly shocked at the 'lack' of AFL coverage here in Queensland AND the amount of rugby league coverage.

'Lack' is all about perspective. I personally think there is too much AFL coverage.

They seriously cannot fathom the absence of blanket coverage of their code in NSW and QLD when it's painfully obvious to most who actually live in those states that AFL receives (pays for) much more media than it deserves.

Latest posts