What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harold Matthews and SG Ball Discussion Thread

sweet-as

Juniors
Personally I think the pressure on the SG ball players is too much. When your training 4 days a week, there are going to be a number of days where they are fatigued and its affecting their schoolwork. I went to school with a few past SG ball players and it was just a nightmare for them trying to handle their HSC and SG ball at the same time.

footyboy7

Juniors
True. I agree totally with the sweet-as. It would be extemely difficult. Then especially if they continue on to the 20s squad, which means more training and more time comitment.
I think on the topic of choosing players for First grade, these mentioned players need a few more years to continue growth and developement.
Also Penrith have used many dollars on securing the move and etc of Harry Seijka and i think it is quite easy to see he will continue on to first grade or the time on him has been a waste.
2 years of Harold Matts, 2 years of SG Ball and possiblely 5 years of 20s (16,17,18,19,20). Therefore its stupid to say he wont make it. And plus he's not a bad player :p
But otherwise i agree with: Wilson, VTK, Cartwright and with commitment maybe Eisunhuth, Blake Austin and Matt Moylan.

blackandwhite

Juniors
the problem with most player managers is that they get 300 clients hoping that they might get 10 good ones therefore they cant deliver the same attention to each individual its getting like jerry maguire

That's exactly what "Managers" do..and you say most player mangers I say all...they don't care its just a numbers game.
They work more for clubs then they do players. Players don't need a manager but managers sure do need players.

With regard to contracts, the average basic contract is something like this.

at 16 $500 + $500 towards school/work expenses.

at 17 $500 + $500 for school fees/work

If a player makes a junior state or national representative team they may get an extra $3,000 - $5,000

at 18 $1,000 or possible upgrade to $15,000-$20,000 contract.

at 19 $15,000-$20,000 contract or cya later your too old!

stumpyone

Juniors
Heard tonight that Zach Clay has been poached by Parramatta. He apparently is headed from St Clair to Wentworthville. The spies say he has been sighted at Parramatta training with their rep squads. He is a big loss, ranked by some as one of best players in his age group in Australia.

half_back

Juniors
and his parents wanted him to go there because they didnt want to travel up to penrith 4 days aweek, because they live at wentworthville.

There will continue to be a mass exodus from Penrith. Many disgruntled parents are taking their kids to Parra and further afield for next year in both reps and local club footy.

footyboy7

Juniors
There will continue to be a mass exodus from Penrith. Many disgruntled parents are taking their kids to Parra and further afield for next year in both reps and local club footy.

Is it just me or can anyone else see that there are many ways to help this?
Players are leaving to other clubs as they are not being offered many oppurtunities at Penrith.
For eg. The 2010 Penrih 17s squad is extremely depleted with loss of players to clubs such as Roosters, Parra, Norths etc and still Penrith refuse to pick the best available squad. Seriously there are many players in that age group alone who stick with Penrith and get offered not even a spot in the squad because all they care about is the heroes that keep leaving in chase of money when most of them dont deserve it.

Want the solution? Pick the right players.. Pick the kids with good heads on there shoulders who are willing to listen and do what they are needed of.

Btw thiis is in no reference to Zach Clay, as he's a good kiid, and if travel is a problem well there is no harm in that.
But we have kids that live from the Blue Mountains out to windsor out to blacktown, who travel 3 or 4 days a week into the city in search of money and rep football, beacuse they were overlooked or left Penrith.

The same problem seems to keep coming up. That is Penrith?

sweet-as

Juniors
Could not agree more, I think this year is going to be Penrith's last as a junior Rep powerhouse.
The amount of juniors they have lost to other rep clubs has been ridiculous.
I think maybe we should compile a list to show any reading penrith selectors how many players they have lost this year?

Last edited:

footyboy7

Juniors
Could not agree more, I think this year is going to be Penrith's last as a junior Rep powerhouse.
The amount of juniors they have lost to other rep clubs has been ridiculous.
I think maybe we should compile a list to show any reading penrith selectors how many players they have lost this year?

Great idea sweet-as.
Ill begin it. This is all the info i have heard.

Roosters SG Ball
J. Antonelli, N.Antonelli, A,Taavale, J.Webb, S.Miscevic

Roosters HM
B. Attwood

Norths SG Ball
J. Doran

Bulldogs HM
A.Nuilesa

Parramatta Eels and Roosters SG Ball Training
T. Tuivasa

Eels HM
Z. Clay
T. Moera
J. Mamo

Bet you there is more. With others training in SG Ball squads.

sweet-as

Juniors
Great idea sweet-as.
Ill begin it. This is all the info i have heard.

Roosters SG Ball
J. Antonelli, N.Antonelli, A,Taavale, J.Webb, S.Miscevic

Roosters HM
B. Attwood

Norths SG Ball
J. Doran

Bulldogs HM
A.Nuilesa

Parramatta Eels and Roosters SG Ball Training
T. Tuivasa

Eels HM
Z. Clay
T. Moera
J. Mamo

Bet you there is more. With others training in SG Ball squads.

Some very good players, Espescially Zac Clay, I rate this kid extremely high and hope Penrith find a way to keep him.
Didn't know Doran went to Norths.
And Nuilesa is a big loss

Last edited:

half_back

Juniors
Some very good players, Espescially Zac Clay, I rate this kid extremely high and hope Penrith find a way to keep him.

I heard he signed with Parra therefore Penrith wont be keeping him. He is a great player at his age but not sure how much he will grow in order to make it all the way.

Biggest losses from my perspective are nuilesa and moeroa. If these players keep there heads on both will make it. Heard both signed big contracts with dogs and parra respectively for their ages. Both live in Penrith area and go to school there. Huge losses!

Problem isnt only those who have already gone but also those that have indicated they will also go. Many more who were year young trialled elsewhere and will do so next year as well.

footyboy7

Juniors
I heard he signed with Parra therefore Penrith wont be keeping him. He is a great player at his age but not sure how much he will grow in order to make it all the way.

Biggest losses from my perspective are nuilesa and moeroa. If these players keep there heads on both will make it. Heard both signed big contracts with dogs and parra respectively for their ages. Both live in Penrith area and go to school there. Huge losses!

Problem isnt only those who have already gone but also those that have indicated they will also go. Many more who were year young trialled elsewhere and will do so next year as well.

I knew Tepai was playing over in the Parramatta comp though i didnt know he was signed.
The thing is how is Penrith going to fix it?
Many boys ages 13 to 17 even older are still waiting, and they never get a chance thats why they trial and try there luck elsewhere, it seems like the right thing to do.
Besides the heroes from Harold Matts 09, and the lackluster SG Ball 09 team a lot of the HM side has gone looking for footy elsewhere and in that agegroup i personally believe that there are many better players that should be looked at now, and should have been looked at for he 09 season.
With the SG Ball 09 team, there were many good players who have all stayed and many been placed in the UNder 20's 2010 Squad. Though they were not a good team they stuck with Penrith is what im saying.
Many people will stick with Penrith and not reject them its just a matter of picking the right players?

I knew Tepai was playing over in the Parramatta comp though i didnt know he was signed.
Many boys ages 13 to 17 even older are still waiting, and they never get a chance thats why they trial and try there luck elsewhere, it seems like the right thing to do.
Besides the heroes from Harold Matts 09, and the lackluster SG Ball 09 team a lot of the HM side has gone looking for footy elsewhere and in that agegroup i personally believe that there are many better players that should be looked at now, and should have been looked at for he 09 season.
With the SG Ball 09 team, there were many good players who have all stayed and many been placed in the UNder 20's 2010 Squad. Though they were not a good team they stuck with Penrith is what im saying.
Many people will stick with Penrith and not reject them its just a matter of picking the right players?

maybe you should make a list of the right players that should be picked ?

yes zac clay is a good player,but theres others that will fill the breach,and im shaw theres players in the squad that will accomomndate him nextyear,the problem these days they rush a good young player in too early,then we have injuries, let them play there own age group and let there bodies fully develope,they still be there if there good enough.the problem is too they forget were they started in the local comp and thats were they got selected,a smell of a bit of money there off, no loyality any more, one time you play for the love of the game, but like anthing money talks players walk.

stretcher

Juniors
heroes from the 09 mats are you kidding they did poorly as well and as for leaving the club they left because they were impatient and were no hope for pushing a spot in a ball side that has already played a year of ball at academy this year

stretcher

Juniors
so what you are saying is that penrith must of picked the right blokes in this years sgball because 14 of them have stayed loyal to penrith and now are training with the 20s and im sure many of them have had other offers i think patience in a rebuild of the junior development instead of a kneejerk reaction from some of the guys on this forum is the answer wayne bennett wouldnt be dictated to by players and managers and i think penrith could take a leaf out of his book say good riddons to guys who wanna chase money.......dont get me wrong if you dont make penrith try elsewhere but have a penrith 1st offers 2nd breeds stability and loyalty cause you cant keep them all

half_back

Juniors
so what you are saying is that penrith must of picked the right blokes in this years sgball because 14 of them have stayed loyal to penrith and now are training with the 20s and im sure many of them have had other offers i think patience in a rebuild of the junior development instead of a kneejerk reaction from some of the guys on this forum is the answer wayne bennett wouldnt be dictated to by players and managers and i think penrith could take a leaf out of his book say good riddons to guys who wanna chase money.......dont get me wrong if you dont make penrith try elsewhere but have a penrith 1st offers 2nd breeds stability and loyalty cause you cant keep them all

The problem is not about money and offers. There is major discontent with the junior league administrators as well as Penrith itself. Players like Attwood last year didnt leave for money. It was mentioned Moeroa left this year to play club footy in parra and clay wanted to leave. Mamo has left with no offer. Moeroa and Clay only signed after making the move. They leave because of ongoing issues with various aspects of Penrith and these 3 would be the top players in 2011 matts team if not this year. We have to fix the problems to keep the best players.

half_back

Juniors

Consider this Mamo a local junior gets picked in both the Penrith and Parra Matts squads, neither offers a contract yet he chooses to travel to Parra to play rather than play with his local club. This has to say something... unfortunately.

Latest posts