What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird

BG

Juniors
De Gois is riding hype that's probably above him. He's good, but he doesn't look much like an Ennis or a Farah

This is the guy (or should that be "Gois" :lol:) I reckon you're underestimating. I agree Ennis and Farah are ahead of him, but not by that imho. His attacking play improved dramatically this year from his time at the Sharks (he's always been a tenacious defender) and he's still quite young. So I would say he's either coming to his peak and should hold that form very consistently, or even improve a bit more which imho would place him right up there as a genuine SOO contender.

Edit: also:

Taia and Sau have a lot of potential, but we've seen one season wonders before

Perfectly fair assessment, but why the pessimism? They are just as likely to kick on and have great careers. I've got a pretty good feeling about both of them tbh, especially Zeb. He runs excellent lines with great power and a potent fend and has tremendous tackle busting ability. It's not as easy for opponents to "work out" that kind of player as it is sometimes to shut down the effectiveness of a rising halfback or tricksy ball-playing forward.

Last edited:

Big Tim

First Grade
Arent reports saying Bird may stay in Europe to avoid the limelight, or that he is being chased by 2 NRL teams, neither of which are the Newcastle Knights.....

/end thread

Misanthrope

Staff member
I don't think we have one player in our side that other supporters really fear. It's unfortunate.

That's the point I am trying to make. There were times when we had multiple game-breakers in the side. Matt Johns, Andrew Johns, Ben Kennedy, Paul Harrogan, Matt Gidley, Timana Tahu, Robbie O'Davis, Darren Albert...

Aside from Kurt Gidley, I don't see any of that kind of danger in our team. It bums me out.

Yosh

Coach
Well we do have Aku Uate and Cooper Vuna... Sure their overall gameplay might not be fantastic but sometimes on the attack they do pull a rabbit out of a hat!

Birdy will be at 100's to stay in the NRL. Why would he put himself through the scrutiny that a return will bring. I see him signing a long term superleague contract and playing his days out there. I don't want the man here. We are not a halfway house for dumbarses.

Alex28

Coach
As far as players that we have that are in his class, the list is very short.

Gidley.

Taia? Sau? Doogs? You have got to be kidding me.

Mullen and De Gois may get there in time, but they aren't there yet.

We SHOULD be looking at ways we can fit him in, but he doesn't want to come here. End quest for Bird...

But to think we don't NEED a guy like that - you guys are kidding yourselves.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
TJS is certainly big enough (and definately ugly enough) to defend himself, but that was out of line dude.

I don't know anyone who lives and breathes this club as much as he does.

We may have disagreements, but just remember to play the ball not the man, BIHK. At least with our fans. Go nuts on the opposition.

I'll quote it again "I've said it before on this forum, and I continue to say it and mean it... the day that scumbag pulls on a Knights jersey is the day I walk away from the club"

Would a true knights fan say that? I respect him a great deal for going to as many knights games over so many years as he has; but a true fan will stick with a team through thick and thin.

shane1970

Juniors
I really couldn't care less about the 'proud heritage' and 'good guys' which relate to a team, especially the Knights. I would have a team of thugs, alcoholics, murderers and all if they could play good footy and win a comp. After all thats what playing the NRL is - all teams play the game to be the one who is crowned champions after the Grand Final, and if that involves having players as described above in the team then I couldn't give a sh*t.

TooheysNew

Coach
I'll quote it again "I've said it before on this forum, and I continue to say it and mean it... the day that scumbag pulls on a Knights jersey is the day I walk away from the club"

Would a true knights fan say that? I respect him a great deal for going to as many knights games over so many years as he has; but a true fan will stick with a team through thick and thin.
What makes you think you have the right to decide what a true fan is?

Misanthrope

Staff member
I'd support the Knights if Hitler was in #13 and Satan was our playmaker. I'd rather support a team of winners than a team of lovable also-rans. Just sayin'.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
I'd support the Knights if Hitler was in #13 and Satan was our playmaker. I'd rather support a team of winners than a team of lovable also-rans. Just sayin'.

I'm with you. For example I'd hate to see a player like hopoate in the team, but it wouldn't stop me supporting the knights. I'm a fan that would support the knights no matter what happened with playing personel. Hell even Hagen could come back and I'd still support the mighty red and blue!

Big Tim

First Grade
Reagardless of what TJS said, we will never get to see the result as Bird will not be playing here..... and Alcohol???? Being drunk on the field obviously caused him to knee Shane Mateene (I think that was him anyway)

Obvioulsy, wherever he ends up, the coach will need to breath test him before the game.... dont want that alcohol effecting his personality on the field.