What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you rate the Knights 97 Premsiership?

Knigts premiership 97?

• Total voters
:lol: the lunatics keep coming. BTW I'm glad Super League was the essential ingredient in Parra making the finals in 2009.............

Especially if you make sure who is in front of you is sh*t. How hard did Hunter challenge your defence ffs?

Telle 'em like it is champ!

I also not the ARL test side won the WC, while the SL side got smashed by the Kiwis (which the ARL side put 40 on), and were below PNG in the world nines. PNG ffs! Group 3 would have towelled Traitor League! I remember Simon Gillies made their test side :lol:

Winning an in house comp for employees of a corporate giant, be it the IBM touch footy comp, Super League or Rio Tinto's darts night is hardly proof of world domination :lol:

Damn you're a stupid old merkin.
Parra hadn't made the finals in 10 years when they finally made them in 97. Your club was a joke. Without SL you would never of signed a quarter of Canterbury's side which boosted your sh*tbag club immensely. No SL and you would of continued being a bottom feeder for eternity. You'd probably be dead by now.

Parra benefited from SL more than any other club.

SL Roos were miles better than the ARL's garbage. Daley, Langer, Sailor, Lockyer, Ettingshausen etc. All class. ARL - Aaron Raper. LMAO.

Knightmare

Coach
Some thing they were going to call 'Rugby League on FOX- Subscribe NOW!' but then went with the more palatable name of 'Superleague'. Apparently Brisbane won it over Cronulla at their own home ground, or so I am told.

aussie_q_factor

Juniors
When there is nothing better to whinge about then what happened 12 years ago, it must be the off season alright!

Geez fellas, really is time to move on....

Big Time

Juniors
I didn't watch a single Super League game, so for me, Knights vs Manly was the only GF that year. It was great. Sold out and went right down to the wire, one of the most memorable GFs I have watched.

Garts

Bench
I voted half a premiership. Yes the knights were the ARL premiers and that means more than the SL premiership to me due to it being a rebel comp with no history etc. However it still does not feel the same as other premierships due to half the sides playing in a rebel comp. As Raider said, it has a Claytons premiership feel about it.

adamkungl

Immortal
yes, there was one that involved the best teams and best players, Brisbane won it... i guess you must have missed it, too busy watching the reggies comp ;-)

:lol: Penrith Bulldogs and Cronulla....such a fantastic representation of Sydney

I voted half a premiership. Yes the knights were the ARL premiers and that means more than the SL premiership to me due to it being a rebel comp with no history etc. However it still does not feel the same as other premierships due to half the sides playing in a rebel comp. As Raider said, it has a Claytons premiership feel about it.

More than a feel imo mate. It was just straight up 2nd rate. And considering they were on roids too - disgusting. It seems most Manly fans aren't upset about them being on roids, because yall don't consider it a real premiership anyway. Good on ya's.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
More than a feel imo mate. It was just straight up 2nd rate. And considering they were on roids too - disgusting. It seems most Manly fans aren't upset about them being on roids, because yall don't consider it a real premiership anyway. Good on ya's.
:lol: My bet is that if it was the Faiders that won it (lol I know) you'd have a far different opinion of it :crazy:

timka4

Bench

yeh if manly won, i think a different opinion woulda came from ya, much like jobdog situation

Garts

Bench
yeh if manly won, i think a different opinion woulda came from ya, much like jobdog situation

Nope, I would say half a premiership. The fact that the GF was the only game I watched all year is a indication that I felt the whole of 97 was a farce with 2 comps. I was hell of lot more upset when we lost in 95 and 07 than I was in 97. However do not get me wrong I would have rathered we win the game but that still does not change the fact that year will always be tainted due to 2 comps.

The Tank

Bench
I rate both the 97 ARL and SL the same as every other Premiership. Knights and Broncos deserved their titles.

Scarves

Juniors
I rate it deluxe. They beat Manly who had won the past two Minor Premierships and were the reigning united competition Premiers of 1996 and again going into the ARL decider for the third consecutive time the Minor Premiers of the ARL in 1997. Newcastle's win in that game arguably went plenty far in saving our great game.

At the time I was shocked and seated in a stunned trance, looking at the clock, wishing the Sea Eagles had some sort of right of reply, seeing Blue & Red jerseys jump all over Darren Albert in super emotional rapture. Then I stood and clapped, realising I'm more of a Rugby League fan than a Manly fan, just like the great ARKO said, if anyone other than Manly were to win the competition, I wanted it to be Newcastle, and the game was better, so much better for it.

LazyDreamer

Bench
Knights beat Manly in what must be the best GF in the last 20 years. Their performance saved RL in Australia that day.

Exactly. A grand final that was edge-of-the-seat, underdogs-pip-silvertails stuff. The SL grand final was a yawnathon with no soul. And it was this difference between the two that gave the ARL the credibility & had SL seeking a peace deal.

As a premiership, it's not quite the same as beating 15 (or whatever) other teams. But it's importance at the time for the future of the game cannot be underestimated.

Exactly. A grand final that was edge-of-the-seat, underdogs-pip-silvertails stuff. The SL grand final was a yawnathon with no soul. And it was this difference between the two that gave the ARL the credibility & had SL seeking a peace deal.

As a premiership, it's not quite the same as beating 15 (or whatever) other teams. But it's importance at the time for the future of the game cannot be underestimated.

So a competition had credibility because some team fluked a win and the other had no soul because a superior football team that had been kept back from the powers in the other league, rose to the occasion in front of a packed Brisbane crowd? ok, sure.

I think both teams are premiership winners and fans of those sides have every right to look back on those gfs as a great day in their history. But if we are comparing which team was better, You can't go past the Broncos. Won the league the next season, Beat the Knights convincingly in the "superbowl", Won Minor Premiership in their league, something the Knights failed to do, also won the World Club Championship as well, in the same season. Brisbane was easily the better side.

Well, according to my bros who were in Manly after the grand final, the Manly players were quite jovial and relaxed. Plenty of lauging and carrying on. According to my bros, it didn't seem like they had just lost a grand final

Latest posts