What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you rate the Knights 97 Premsiership?

Knigts premiership 97?

• Total voters

mongoose

Coach
Lets just scratch 97 from the books altogether. I hardly watched a game that year to be honest. Super league was a farce and it turned me off, i didn't care even though my team was in it.

Green Machine

First Grade
mate you're missing the point completely.
No I didn’t,
Does it matter if it was $1bil (i have explained to you that it is close to it anyway!) or $560 mil or $700mil - the point is it was a FAILED venture and could not possibly have sustained losses like that for another year.
You got caught out bullsh*tting. The figure was never $560m over one season. The figure of $560m was something that Financial Review came up with over the length of Super League, not one season. Foxtel and Optus paid out a obscene amount of money for exclusive rights to movie reruns to Hollywood

It was geared up on forecasts that every second household would subscribe to Foxtel, the grounds would be sold out, and their product would be a huge hit around the world and the players would be paid very handsomely in return - the only thing they got right was that the players would be paid very handsomely!! - the business model and the end result was a dismal failure - merry christmas

The Premier Media Group’s business model is far from failure. There is a big difference between Foxtel and Foxsports,

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Better than anything for the Dragons in 30 years.

I'd take it in a second. The Sharks made the Super League GF for f**k sake. Shows you how much of a farce that comp was.

Green Machine

First Grade
So why mention the 7 team finals series you tard?
BTW, 12 teams was enough for a comp for every year before 1982. However, when you have to make up teams to get to 10 - that ain't a comp. That's a rabble.

Misty, in 1982 it was only a 5 team final series.

I love it when every dill who thinks they have something, will end with LOL. I'm not the one making the claiming that Super League lost $1b in one season. I'm not the one claiming that the evidence may be on Wikipedia.
Anyone who claims that, most certainly, does not know what they are talking about.

Mate, I am not claiming anything. The eloquent way that you write has me worshipping at your altar, in fact. I am just saying that if you are going to challenge somebody about their facts you need some counter evidence, do you not? I don't think that we will ever know the real figure. How could we?

Oh, and I think that the word you are looking for is 'claim' as opposed to 'claiming'. The seven year olds that I teach would know better. At this stage, I am going to have to end with a LOL!!

Green Machine

First Grade
Mate, I am not claiming anything.
Well, what are you doing?
The eloquent way that you write has me worshipping at your altar, in fact. I am just saying that if you are going to challenge somebody about their facts you need some counter evidence, do you not?
That's true. You should be taking that up with Big Country who made the big statement. The best he could do to support his statement was to tell me to go and look it up on Wikipedia.
I don't think that we will ever know the real figure. How could we?
That's true, that's why I wouldn't make such a stupid statement and tell someone to go and look it up on Wikipeadia.

Oh, and I think that the word you are looking for is 'claim' as opposed to 'claiming'. The seven year olds that I teach would know better. At this stage, I am going to have to end with a LOL!!
LOL suits you. If you had nothing to say, you should have said nothing instead of making a dill of yourself,

Loudstrat

Coach
No I didn’t,

You got caught out bullsh*tting. The figure was never $560m over one season. The figure of $560m was something that Financial Review came up with over the length of Super League, not one season. Foxtel and Optus paid out a obscene amount of money for exclusive rights to movie reruns to Hollywood

The Premier Media Group’s business model is far from failure. There is a big difference between Foxtel and Foxsports,
Umm, Traitor League only went for one year.....

Misty, in 1982 it was only a 5 team final series.
Brains of a f*cking leopard slug. As I said to Saab - and it's still relevent a handful of posts later - the amount of teams in the finals has no bearing on the strength of the comp. If it did, consider that SL only had 3 teams miss the cut that existed for more than a season. Stock full of invented tard teams stacked with the reserve graders from the 96 ARL comp. Wow. Strength.

Gaba

First Grade
I will sum up the best quote about superleague from david waite

"you score we score competition "

Brains of a f*cking leopard slug. As I said to Saab - and it's still relevent a handful of posts later - the amount of teams in the finals has no bearing on the strength of the comp. If it did, consider that SL only had 3 teams miss the cut that existed for more than a season. Stock full of invented tard teams stacked with the reserve graders from the 96 ARL comp. Wow. Strength.

SL had 5 teams miss the cut, not 3. Which is 50%.

Knightmare

Coach
Amen to that

Let them have it. It may have been an empty one for us in 97 had we won, but they get off on it. The fact that it is still being spoken about speaks volumes about it's merits. There is a huge asterix about the Knights triumph and not just from Manly fans, that is why we are talking about it now and why we will be still talking about it in 50 years

If there ought to be huge asterisk after the Knights' 1997 Premiership, the one after Manly's 1978 "Premiership" would be colossal. Maybe even have a ceremony in which Greg Hartley is given the club player of the year award to go with it!

Green Machine

First Grade

Come on Misty, you know who won. You’ve been bitching about it for over 10 years,

So much anger, so much hosility Misty.
So, teams like Wests and Gold Coast were sacked full of first grade talent? That’s a funny theory you’ve got there Misty. Considering one of those teams stacked full of reserve graders in the Bulldogs, disposed of St George, Norths, Newcastle and to top it off, your very own Eels on the way to the 1998 Grand Final against the Broncos.

Loudstrat

Coach
I was referring to Hunter and Adelaide you brainless twat. 2 teams created in a hurry from whatever bits of players were laying around the other traitor league clubs at the time in their desperation to get their dodgey comp up.

Loudstrat

Coach
SL had 5 teams miss the cut, not 3. Which is 50%.

:lol: Raiders fans. Proving to be the forum tards once again :lol:

Have another look genius.

If it did, consider that SL only had 3 teams miss the cut that existed for more than a season.

Meaning, Adelaide and Hunter. You know, the clubs so new they still had plastic on them when the comp finished?

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Shouldn't this thread be whether we rate the Broncos premiership of 97. Or would Cronulla fans have been happy to have the SL premiership as their maiden title rather than a legitimate ARL/NRL title?

Green Machine

First Grade
I was referring to Hunter and Adelaide you brainless twat.
why so much anger Misty?
2 teams created in a hurry from whatever bits of players were laying around the other traitor league clubs at the time in their desperation to get their dodgey comp up.
OK, lets look at the Mariners.
They were some pretty handy reserve graders in the Mariners line up Misty. Brett Kimmorley and Scott Hill went on to play for Australia. Richard Swain went onto play for the Kiwis. Besides Hill getting injured at the back end of the 1999 season, Kimmorley, Swain, Paul Maquet and Robbie Ross all played in the Storm’s winning Grand Final team.
Robbie McCormick, Brad Godden had played rep football before. McCormick played in Wigan’s winning Grand Final team in 1998.
Nick Zisti was part of the Dragons 1996 grand final team.
Neil Piccinelli was a good solid backrower who was brought to the Mariners by Graham Murray.
Tony Iro had played top grade with Rooster the year before.
John Carlaw played quite a few years of first grade with various clubs after the Mariners.
Noel Goldthorpe was a handy first grader with the Dragons and Wests.
Tyran Smith might be another you are referring to. I think Tyran Smith was in reserve grade in 1996, but that was because he signed a Super League contract which upset Alan Jones. He went onto play another 6 years of NRL first grade.
Mike Dorreen had played first grade for the Tigers in 1996. I don’t think he too many top grade games with the Mariners.
Troy Stone was an up and coming front rower with the Dragons and Bulldogs.
Keith Beauchamp had played first grade for the Knight in 1996 and scored 8 tries.
Tim Maddison went onto play for Cronulla and North Queensland
Justin Dooley when to the Rooster in 1998
Craig Kimmorley had some solid raps, but suffered bad injuries.
I could imagine if all this “so called” reserve grade talent was in the ARL’s player pool, a few of them would have found their way to places like Bondi, Brookvale or Parramatta, instead of the needy at Leichhardt, Redfern, Campbelltown or the Crushers,

Loudstrat

Coach
No - only the SL types seek to discredit the ARL comp to justify some absurd legitimacy for their pathetic minnow of a comp. The Knights won the same comp that started in 1908. Brisbane won some in-house News Ltd comp which was probably celebrated at christmas drinks with the staff that run the print machine.

Loudstrat

Coach
why so much anger Misty?

OK, lets look at the Mariners.
They were some pretty handy reserve graders in the Mariners line up Misty. Brett Kimmorley and Scott Hill went on to play for Australia. Richard Swain went onto play for the Kiwis. Besides Hill getting injured at the back end of the 1999 season, Kimmorley, Swain, Paul Maquet and Robbie Ross all played in the Storm’s winning Grand Final team.
Robbie McCormick, Brad Godden had played rep football before. McCormick played in Wigan’s winning Grand Final team in 1998.
Nick Zisti was part of the Dragons 1996 grand final team.
Neil Piccinelli was a good solid backrower who was brought to the Mariners by Graham Murray.
Tony Iro had played top grade with Rooster the year before.
John Carlaw played quite a few years of first grade with various clubs after the Mariners.
Noel Goldthorpe was a handy first grader with the Dragons and Wests.
Tyran Smith might be another you are referring to. I think Tyran Smith was in reserve grade in 1996, but that was because he signed a Super League contract which upset Alan Jones. He went onto play another 6 years of NRL first grade.
Mike Dorreen had played first grade for the Tigers in 1996. I don’t think he too many top grade games with the Mariners.
Troy Stone was an up and coming front rower with the Dragons and Bulldogs.
Keith Beauchamp had played first grade for the Knight in 1996 and scored 8 tries.
Tim Maddison went onto play for Cronulla and North Queensland
Justin Dooley when to the Rooster in 1998
Craig Kimmorley had some solid raps, but suffered bad injuries.
Thank you for proving that they were typical of a reserve grade side -filled with players who had good careers in front of them with players who had good careers behind them. Thinking of Parra's reserve grade sides of 79/80 with up an comers Kenny, Ella, Grothe and career twilights like Beetson and Peard
I could imagine if all this “so called” reserve grade talent was in the ARL’s player pool, a few of them would have found their way to places like Bondi, Brookvale or Parramatta, instead of the needy at Leichhardt, Redfern, Campbelltown or the Crushers,
Your imagination being the basis of an solid argument - So the voices in your head justified Super League? :lol:
In the real world, the SL talent pool favoured Brisbane. Mundine and Tallis remember?

Green Machine

First Grade
Thank you for proving that they were typical of a reserve grade side -filled with players who had good careers in front of them with players who had good careers behind them.
Most of the players I identified played first graded in 1996. Now, you are changing your story.
Thinking of Parra's reserve grade sides of 79/80 with up an comers Kenny, Ella, Grothe and career twilights like Beetson and Peard
Nice to see you have boned up on your history Misty. Be my guest, go ahead and make a complete fool of yourself. John Peard retired in 1978 and coached the first grade in 1980. Artie suffered broken jaw in 1979 and played limited games for Parramatta. He played that much reserve grade at the back end of the 1980 season, that he qualified for the reggies and played in their grand final losing team. I think you’ll find that Steve Ella debuted in First grade in 1979. I think you will find he spent 1980 recovering from an injury. By the way, where did Parramatta run in 1980?
Your imagination being the basis of an solid argument - So the voices in your head justified Super League? :lol:
Talking about things in your head, you haven’t got back to me on how the Knights saved Rugby League?
In the real world, the SL talent pool favoured Brisbane. Mundine and Tallis remember?
I wouldn’t say that Misty. Take the Mariners, a team you identified. Canterbury wanted to keep Scott Hill and the Broncos wanted to keep Robbie Ross. Both were told they had to go to the Mariners. Just out of interest, can you name a star player that was pushed the way of Souths, Wests, Balmain or the Crushers?

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
Neither Mundine nor Tallis were sent to the Broncos. Both players came voluntarily with Gorden sitting out a year of Rugby League out of spite because he was that desperate while Mundine was actually obliged to join another club before he put his foot down and demanded he play at the Broncos.

Green Machine

First Grade
In 1995, Tallis went down to Phillip St to sign with the ARL. The only thing that stopped was Phil Gould telling he wasn’t worth much money and he was only a bench player. Tallis of course went on to play for Australia, represent Queensland on numerous occasions, win NRL premierships and win the Clive Churchill Medal.
Super League wanted Anthony Mundine to go to the Bulldogs and that was never going to happen,