What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daily telegraph: Bulldogs chase Eels stars

lucablight

First Grade
PARRAMATTA might have won their epic preliminary final battle in September but the Bulldogs are now scheming to win the war for the signatures of Daniel Mortimer and Feleti Mateo.

The Bulldogs see young Mortimer as the natural heir to veteran Brett Kimmorley's No. 7 jersey - and not just because his surname is synonymous with the Belmore club.

While the 19-year-old's rookie season was brilliant, Bulldogs CEO Todd Greenberg is perhaps more enamoured with Mortimer's maturity and class - qualities Canterbury now demand from new recruits.

Greenberg has held several rounds of talks with the Mortimer camp since the Grand Final, and father Peter is again warming to his old club after becoming disillusioned a few years back when the Bulldogs were a disciplinary rabble.

As for Mateo - also off contract at the end of this year - Greenberg has enlisted a secret weapon in the form of assistant coach Jim Dymock. Mateo has great respect for Dymock from their 2008 World Cup campaign for Tonga, when the former Eels and Bulldogs star coached the team.

Mateo couldn't crack Parramatta's starting side during the finals, but there would be no such problem at Canterbury, where the ball-playing utility would call more of the shots.

Parramatta CEO Paul Osborne is aware of the raid and guaranteed Eels fans a rearguard action had begun.

"We know what the Bulldogs are up to - and we want to keep both of them," Osborne said. "Ideally, we'd like to do it before the season starts so it's not a distraction."

Greenberg went to extraordinary lengths to meet the families of 2009 recruits Michael Ennis and Ben Hannant before they signed.
link: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-daniel-mortimer/story-e6frexnr-1225815076293

Stagger eel

Staff member
Hi Josh :nwave:

Happy New Year :blahb:

yep! he's really saved that one for a rainy day hasn't he??? :lol:

"We know what the Bulldogs are up to - and we want to keep both of them," Osborne said. "Ideally, we'd like to do it before the season starts so it's not a distraction."

love Ossie, but i have to give him a "No sh*t sherlock" for that one...

Craig Johnston

First Grade
yep! he's really saved that one for a rainy day hasn't he??? :lol:

love Ossie, but i have to give him a "No sh*t sherlock" for that one...

why? setting a deadline before the season begins is quite newsworthy for me. at least we know there's more to it if it drags out after then.

don't get your point?

Stagger eel

Staff member
why? setting a deadline before the season begins is quite newsworthy for me. at least we know there's more to it if it drags out after then.

don't get your point?

Ossie would sign them in 5 minutes if he could, the point is both Morts and Feleti would be mad to sign before the season starts, this article is nothing more than a space filler saved for New years Day...

i hope they both can stay at the eels, but wih salary ca pressures maybe alittle hard, especially now we have upgraded hayne. as long as we can keep one of them i think we should be right.

yosemite

Juniors
As much as I hate to say it, but with D.Morts family bloodline, he would more than likely end up in Bullodog colours .

Blood is thicker than water & Dog's would want him to carry on the tradition.

My 2c...

Glenn

First Grade
So what if the dogs wanted him to continue the "tradition", why didn't they take him as a junior and bring him through the ranks?

Bulldogs..Bought not bred.;-)

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
As much as I hate to say it, but with D.Morts family bloodline, he would more than likely end up in Bullodog colours .

Blood is thicker than water & Dog's would want him to carry on the tradition.

My 2c...

Tell that to Corey Hughes.

Bigfella

Coach
If?

I hope there is no serious prospect of him aging on. If he doesn't go this year I will blow up.

jono

Juniors
Ennis- Hannant = RL journeymen (Ennis- knights drags broncs dogs, Hannant- roosters broncs dogs)
Our guys - bred through the blue and gold system.

We'll keep 'em both , but if I had a choice , I'd go with Morts because
A - he is an investment for the future both on and off the field.
B- Just to shove it into the Dogs faces!

The Eel

Juniors
I would love to keep both, but my take on it is that if either of them want to go, even though they are good players, let them go. From what I can see from reading the forums Feleti doesn't seem settled. On the other hand, I tend to agree with Yosemite. As much as I would love Morts to stay, and he seems to be a well spoken guy with his head screwed on, as well as being an outstanding talent, it unfortunately would not surprise me if he left. I think Ossie will do all in his power to keep them though, he seems to be a very good operator.

parra pete

Referee
I would love to keep both, but my take on it is that if either of them want to go, even though they are good players, let them go. From what I can see from reading the forums Feleti doesn't seem settled. On the other hand, I tend to agree with Yosemite. As much as I would love Morts to stay, and he seems to be a well spoken guy with his head screwed on, as well as being an outstanding talent, it unfortunately would not surprise me if he left. I think Ossie will do all in his power to keep them though, he seems to be a very good operator.

Would Weller agree with you?

Latest posts