What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ongoing thread on 2010 NFL Draft prospects

Raider_69

Post Whore
Been watching Dunlap closely in the Sugar Bowl, he needs more hussle, once the ball goes past him, he seems abit lazy at times, doesnt keep chasing the play
he's a great athlete, constantly getting pressure but from my viewing, has a tendancy to get lazy

im sure that type of thing can very easily be whipped out of a Rookie in training camp. Would be worth a shot, but i'd still like us to go after Morgan 1st, if we cant nab him, Dunlap is a good guy to target imo, if you can whip that laziness out of him, he'll be a pretty good DE imo

Big Mick

Referee
Pike had a very ordinary game although didn't have much help.

Tebow had a monster game...all sorts of records, 550 yards total just for him...that's insane. IMO just for his leadership he is worth the risk of taking. Would I take him in the first round...probably not...in the second or third...absolutely. His intangibles are things you just can't coach, everything else you can work with. Not like the kid CAN'T throw the ball...

Very impressed with Gonzalez and also Cooper the WR's for Florida...both very good...think Cooper has a big future, quite quick...very tall...reminds me of Vincent Jackson.

Raider_69

Post Whore
i was thinking that myself mick, i herd the analysist say his throwing machanics are what will potentially cause him drama in the pros, and granted his action is very slow but when he throws, he's fairly accurate, he got some balls into tight windows today.

I still think JAX take him with their first pick to try and save the franchise's future in Jacksonville

Big Mick

Referee
I still think JAX take him with their first pick to try and save the franchise's future in Jacksonville

That's what I think.

And given they still have Gerrard...they have time to develop him for 1-2 years limiting his time, getting his mechanics and release right. He just needs to release the ball quicker...the rest of it is fine.

Why they are still sticking with Del Rio is beyond me. They need a coach to enchant that city and Del Rio aint it.

Big Tim

First Grade
Woah check this out from one of todays games:

Northwestern Passing
C/ATT - YDS - AVG - TD - INT
M. Kafka 47/78 - 532 - 6.8 - 4 - 5

And they still had 37 rushing plays, that's insane :lol:

I use NU in an online dynasty.... Kafka is the only good player on that offense.

How did they go???

Big Tim

First Grade
It's Tebow's low release that is the problem IMO

JAX will take him, or Gruden will take him wherever he goes. If JAX stick with Garrard for a year or two Tebow would be a very good choice for them.

You know how many #15 Jag jerseys they would sell???

coach

Tebow showed today he is a great college quarterback. That will never be questioned.

The problem for him and any team thinking of drafting him is, can he play at anywhere near the same level in the Pro's. Most experts agree that there are faults to his game that will be really highlited in the Pro's. Plus the style of game the Gators used fitted his style perfectly. Not sure there is an NFL team who play a similar style.

He will most likely be drafted higher then he should be. Some team will take him the first round when he should be taken in the 2nd at the very earliest.

Last edited:

Tom155

Coach
Pike had a very ordinary game although didn't have much help.

Tebow had a monster game...all sorts of records, 550 yards total just for him...that's insane. IMO just for his leadership he is worth the risk of taking. Would I take him in the first round...probably not...in the second or third...absolutely. His intangibles are things you just can't coach, everything else you can work with. Not like the kid CAN'T throw the ball...

Very impressed with Gonzalez and also Cooper the WR's for Florida...both very good...think Cooper has a big future, quite quick...very tall...reminds me of Vincent Jackson.
agree on pike looked terrible most of the game, cincinnati rb looked good though

Florida TE is Hernandez not Gonzalez he looked very good though

Tom155

Coach
The Rose Bowl is over and another Pac-10 team has fallen. Terrelle Pryor came up bigtime despite a tender knee and carried his team to victory.

Cameron Heyward! I like him! He played all four defensive line positions and looked good no matter where he lined up. He's a Justin Smith type of player and would be a terrific DE in the 3-4. He's a junior and I don't know whether he plans to come out early. If he gets a first-round grade from the draft advisory--and he might--then I'm guessing he'll skip his senior year. Just a guess, though.

I liked two other Ohio State defensive linemen, too: Doug Worthington and Thaddeus Gibson. Both are a little undersized for the type of game they play, but I wouldn't mind seeing either of them on my team. Heyward is the guy I like most, though.

On the Oregon side, I remained impressed with safety T.J. Ward. Pryor was stiff-arming and breaking tackles all night long, but he never escaped a tackle by Ward. Ward is a big hitter and a sure tackler, but comes up a little short as a cover guy. He reminds me of a young Michael Lewis.

Junior linebacker Kenny Rowe had three sacks, more as a result of hustle than talent. He's a high-effort guy and could be worth a low-round pick when he comes out. I would imagine that he will stay in school for his senior year.
Ive been watch cameron heyward for a while and he has played great every time but i read somewhere he is not coming out i hope he does so the broncos can get him though. he has good genes as well his father had a long nfl career

Just as i thought. Cinci are pretenders. I have no idea how the Polls had them ahead of the 2 best teams in the country. Tuesday morning is the real National Championship Game.

Raider_69

Post Whore
It's Tebow's low release that is the problem IMO
yea thats a huge issue aswell, my first thought when it was highlighted was the in the pros, he'd wind up with A LOT of strips from premiere pass rushers holding that ball that low

Dumervil, Ware, Allen, guys like that... man they'd have a turn over field day with Tebow

Big Tim

First Grade
yea thats a huge issue aswell, my first thought when it was highlighted was the in the pros, he'd wind up with A LOT of strips from premiere pass rushers holding that ball that low

Dumervil, Ware, Allen, guys like that... man they'd have a turn over field day with Tebow

He has alot of strips against average college DE's..... it is definately an issue.

Whoever signs him will get a playmaker, they will just need to have a D that can recover from the inevitable fumble or 2 each game.

abpanther

Staff member
Fiesta Bowl is over--great game!

I was anxious to see Jerry Hughes tonight. I watched him play twice last year, and quite frankly I never could understand all the fuss about him. I wanted to get a good look at him in a spotlight game. What I saw tonight is that Hughes is a fine player, and he made some big-league plays, but down the stretch Boise State handled him well. I like a lot of what Hughes brings to the table, but after watching him tonight I regard him as a late first-round pick, at best.

Hughes has the tools, and he seems to be football-smart when it comes to diagnosing plays. I'm not sure that his coaches maximize his strengths, though. He rarely raced out of the blocks to directly pressure the passer. On most plays, he took a moment to read his blocker and react to him. Sometimes he counter-punched and shot the gap or rushed the passer. Sometimes he read the play and held the point or covered a zone. Often--surprisingly so, I thought he two-gapped and let the linebackers make the plays. Sometimes he simply stood up and did nothing. Hughes is a strong, all-round player who can play both the run and the pass, but I would have liked to see him take off after the passer more often. He seems quick enough, and he's got great closing speed, but tonight he didn't put these traits to good use. After watching him tonight, I'm not sure what he can do, or how effective he will be at the next level. I wouldn't risk a mid first-round pick on him.

I was also interested in taking another look at Boise State cornerback and punt-returner Kyle Wilson, who has sometimes impressed me in the past. He had a good game tonight. He allowed a few completions for short gains, but nothing long. He knocked the quarterback out of the game for a play when he came unblocked on a beautifully disguised blitz. He batted down two passes, one of them a bomb. He's a little smallish, but muscular, and he has decent speed, especially when closing in on the receiver. He whiffed on one tackle, but for the most part he played very good run support. Unfortunately, at least in my attempt to evaluate him, TCU mostly avoided him. Only about five or six passes were thrown his way all night.

As a punt-returner, Wilson can do the job and maybe average 9 or 10 yards per return, but he's a long way from being Devin Hester. He is sure-handed, at least, and his first move is forward. I would feel safe with Wilson returning punts, but I wouldn't be excited about it.

Last edited:
That hit on Dalton was awesome. Brandyn Thompson was the man!!! Boise State has to at least be rated no. 2 in the country after that.

Tom155

Coach
Thompson was very good, hughes was being double teamed a lot so it may have limited his effectiveness slightly

abpanther

Staff member
The Orange Bowl is over and Iowa looked strong! They held a Georgia Tech team that scores 44 points a game to a single offensive touchdown. Lots of players of note in this game.

The big matchup was Iowa OT Bryan Bulaga vs. Georgia Tech DE Derrick Morgan. The last time I saw Morgan, he played the entire game on the left side of the defensive line, so I wasn't expecting him to match up head-to-head with Bulaga very often. As it happened, Morgan flipped from one side to the other in this game, and although he played most of the game at left end, he matched up with Bulaga fairly frequently. How did it go? Although Morgan gave it a good effort, in my opinion Bulaga dominated him one-on-one.

Morgan had a very quiet game. I may have missed a few plays, but as far as I could tell, Morgan had only one tackle in the entire game, and that's when he chased Iowa quarterback Ricky Stanzi down after a six-yard gain. That was the only time he laid a hand on Stanzi all night. Morgan had no success at all against Bulaga, who put Morgan on the ground at least twice. Morgan looked better against the Iowa right tackle, senior Kyle Calloway, projected by NFL Draft Scout to be a third-round pick. Morgan beat him a few times, usually with a rip move on Calloway's inside shoulder, and once with a spin move, but Calloway succeeded in keeping him away from the quarterback.

It seemed to me that Morgan lacked the quickness to get outside on his man. Most of his pass rushes are simple bull rushes or the aforementioned rip move to the inside. He often successfully pushed past his man to put a little pressure on the quarterback, or chase him out of the pocket, but he was never a serious threat to sack him. Morgan relies more on his strength than his speed, and if he can't out-muscle his opponent, he can't beat him. I don't think there is any way that Morgan has the speed to play outside linebacker in a 3-4. On one third-and-long play in the fourth quarter, Morgan tried to chase Stanzi to the sideline. He finally dove at Stanzi's feet and missed the tackle. Stanzi gained nine yards and picked up the first down. Subsequently, Morgan took himself out of the game for a couple of plays and was seen on the sidelines trying to catch his breath. After that, it was hard to picture him trying to play linebacker.

Actually, my advice to Morgan would be to bulk up and play the three-technique in a 4-3 defense. He's pretty strong, and I seriously think he would be more successful in the NFL at defensive tackle than defensive end.

As for Bryan Bulaga, he had a terrific game given his role in the offense. He's SERIOUSLY strong and plays with very good balance. No one got past him to the passer, and he was a terror blocking down on running plays. The problem is that I can't say much about his mobility. He was never asked to pull, ever, and no one on the Georgia Tech defense challenged him with an outside pass rush. I suspect that he would be a good guard in the NFL, or possibly a right tackle, but I don't know if he has the athleticism to block speed rushers without strongside help in the NFL.

I did see a great performance by a defensive end in this game, but his name wasn't Morgan. Iowa junior Adrian Clayborn had a tremendous game, both against the run and against the pass. He jammed up the running game on the defensive right, chased plays to the sidelines, pressured the passer consistently, and had two sacks. He did most of his damage in the first half. In the second half, Georgia Tech double-teamed him on nearly every play, and he was considerably quieter. Still, I thought he was the best player on the field tonight. He's 6'3 285, quick off the mark, and has great closing speed on the quarterback or ballcarrier. He's indicated that he's going to stay in school, but after today's dominating performance he could change his mind. Rob Rang has said that he's a first-round pick when he comes out.

Iowa has a couple of senior linebackers who really stood out, too. I really liked the way they played. Middle linebacker Pat Angerer was tremendous, stuffing the middle all night long. NFL Draft Scout rates him as a fourth- or fifth-rounder, but he looked better than that to me tonight. Outside linebacker A.J. Edds, 6'4 245, really distinguished himself in pass coverage, defensing one pass and intercepting another. He was very agile for a man his size. NFL Draft Scout ranks him as a third- or fourth-round pick, and he could be a real steal for some team at that point in the draft.

On the Georgia Tech side, running back Jonathan Dwyer finally got a chance to show some of his upside in the second half. He's got a nice combination of power, moves, and speed, and he can catch the ball. He reminds me of Steve Jackson of the rams. But he also treated viewers to what could have been the bonehead play of the night. Deep in his own territory, he took a handoff to the right, and when nothing was there, he reversed his field. Finding defenders waiting for him, he drifted back into the endzone! In desperation, he broke three tackles in the endzone, including efforts by Clayborn and Angerer, and managed to get to the one-yard line before going down. I was actually impressed by his ability to avoid the safety, if not by his intelligence.

Georgia Tech only completed two passes in the entire game, and Dwyer caught both of them. That means that Georgia Tech's best receiver--Demaryius Thomas--was shut out.

Latest posts