What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Player Capabilities

Weels

Juniors
Does anybody know of all the capabilities of our team? :pray:

For instance, I would like to know if HILDER has any experience at halfback or 5/8.
The same for Isaac de Gois, or even McDonnall what other positions does he play at?
Who can do what? :-k

roopy

Referee
Karawana was a nippy half or 5/8 in Flegg for Bulldogs I think.
Cory Paterson was a fullback in WA and played a few games in the backs at Flegg level.
Uate was a fullback and thinks that is his best position - he played a few games in NSW cup at fullback.
Sau played half a game at fullback in NSW cup.
Taia was once a centre.
MacDougall has had some of his best games at fullback.
Scott Dureau was a 5/8 most of the juniors (so Walsh could play 7)
Jarod Mullen was a centre for Rosellas, with Inglis as his partner.
Wes Naiquama fed the scrum for Fiji in the Pacific cup.
George Ndaira plays halfback for Lebanon.
McManus was a centre for his entire junior career.
Daniel Abraham played his first season in firstgrade as a fullback (only a few games) - and has been playing a lot of 5/8 in the last few seasons.
Kurt Gidley played about half his junior games and his first game in firstgrade as a centre - he also played one game on the wing outside his brother.
Con Mika thinks he can play 5/8
Andrew Johns came off the bench to play fullback in his first game of firstgrade.
Anthony Quinn was a prop for Valentine.
Paul Harrogan was a centre in under 16s.
Danny Buderus was a halfback in the juniors.

Last edited:

Serc

First Grade
I think Hilder has spent a bit of time at 5/8 when he was at the Sharks and Titans. Though I believe McDonnell and De Gois have pretty much exclusively played the positions they play now for a long time.

Last edited:

Yosh

Coach
Roops some of those are gold, just gold!

Thats a classic!

roopy

Referee
Roops some of those are gold, just gold!

Thats a classic!
At one stage Wes was halfback and Kev came up from fullback to be acting 5/8, and between them they put on some clever short passing that led to a try - great hands (I know - I still think i dreamed it too)

BG

Juniors

For instance, I would like to know if HILDER has any experience at halfback or 5/8.

I think Hilder has spent a bit of time at 5/8 when he was at the Sharks and Titans.

He definitely started the 2007 season as the Titan's 5/8th, and was very ordinary imho. Still, I suspect he's improved generally as a footballer since then.

doggone

Juniors
Hilder played the first 13 games at 5/8. I didn't mind him at this position. He had a lot of training with the Titans to cover this position. At a push he could cover if need be, has good kicking game.

Hanscholo

Bench
Not sure if the guys are capable to play in those positions though at this stage of their careers. Its one thing to play fullback for WA jnrs, its another thing entirely to do it in first grade.

This is what i reckon they could cover if we really needed to:

Gidley: Fullback, Wing, Centre, 5/8, Halfback, Lock and Hooker
Macdonnel: Fullback, Wing
Uate: Wing
McManus: Wing, Centre and probably a capable fullback.
MacDougall: Fullback, Wing and Centre
Naiqama: Wing, Centre...is a total bust anywhere else, despite the rumours.
Mullen: Half, 5/8 and perhaps hooker.
Dureau - perhaps half back
Hilder: Hooker, 5/8, Lock and could probably go ok in the centres or second row too as a defender.
Patterson: Lock, Second Row, Front Row
Taia: Lock, Second Row, Front Row, 5/8, Centre
Degois: Hooker
Tolar: Front Row
Tuimavave: front row, maybe 2nd row
Cross: Front Row
Ciraldo: Front Row, 2nd Row
Simpson: Second Row, Lock, Front Row
Sau: Centre, Wing, maybe lock
Karawana: Lock,5/8, Hooker
Ndaira: Hooker, Half Back, 5/8
Vuna: Wing, Centre and would be a decent fill in fullback

The beauty of the team smith built is that while we dont really have great depth in numbers, we make up for that in adaptability within the squad. Apart from the 110kg plus front rowers, and a few developing players like Dureau and Uate the rest of the squad are quite adaptable in terms of ability, size, speed and strength.

Weels

Juniors
HANSCHOLO
Gidley: Fullback, Wing, Centre, 5/8, Halfback, Lock and Hooker
Macdonnel: Fullback, Wing
Uate: Wing
McManus: Wing, Centre and probably a capable fullback.
MacDougall: Fullback, Wing and Centre
Naiqama: Wing, Centre...is a total bust anywhere else, despite the rumours.
Mullen: Half, 5/8 and perhaps hooker.
Dureau - perhaps half back
Hilder: Hooker, 5/8, Lock and could probably go ok in the centres or second row too as a defender.
Patterson: Lock, Second Row, Front Row
Taia: Lock, Second Row, Front Row, 5/8, Centre
Degois: Hooker
Tolar: Front Row
Tuimavave: front row, maybe 2nd row
Cross: Front Row
Ciraldo: Front Row, 2nd Row
Simpson: Second Row, Lock, Front Row
Sau: Centre, Wing, maybe lock
Karawana: Lock,5/8, Hooker
Ndaira: Hooker, Half Back, 5/8
Vuna: Wing, Centre and would be a decent fill in fullback

I have not seen anything of Ndaira at halfback, so he's a mystery to me.
It doesn't look like we have much in the way of backups for a decent halfback. I suppose Gidley is our best option, but boy he'd have to have improved from his last attempt at it. His options when attacking the line used to frighten me. :?

Does anybody know of all the capabilities of our team? :pray:

The same for Isaac de Gois, or even McDonnall what other positions does he play at?
Who can do what? :-k
That is why we play trials mate. The rest you find out when you are severely injury hit or your season is gone and nothing is at stake. Good question though. I think Roops is the player history wiz so take his word for it.

roopy

Referee
We should mention that Pete Mata'utia has been playing centre because that is where the coaching staff think he might be needed, but he is an experienced fullback, winger, and 3 years ago he was a 5/8 in Mathews.

Latest posts