What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aku

Rolla

Juniors
I know its probably just a piss poor attempt at posting something positive, but i like looking at the NRL stats and seeing a knights player right up there in tries and line breaks. Particularly in a losing side where the next highest scorers have 1 try each. Haven't had a prolific scorer in a while. Also only behind a few leading forwards and a couple of fullbacks for metres gained.

A shining light? A junior living up to their hype at newcastle? Or time to visit AMI?

Everyone is quick to bag him when he is out of form so i thought he deserves a rap.

What do we think?

roopy

Referee
I think he could have been there two or three years earlier.

He has been physically ready for years.

If he played for Melbourne he would be getting up towards 80 firstgrade tries by now, rather than 20.

Jono078

Referee
The best part is he's creating them himself so far, just wait until others start setting him up for tries.

cram

Bench

If he played for Melbourne he would be getting up towards 80 firstgrade tries by now, rather than 20.

I was thinking of you on Monday Roopy, when he scored three tries in the first half. You are a true believer and I hope for the sake of the Knights, Aku himself and blokes like you that like to watch the game closely that he continues to go from strength to strength!

roopy

Referee
I loved seeing Walshy dribble balls along the ground to him, knowing that he nearly always knocked on those balls when they used to play together, and three tries later he decided to stay away from Aku.
Walshy probably spent hours giving Aku practise fielding those kicks a few years ago, because he was bloody awful when the ball was bouncing around.
If Aku had knocked those balls on, he would spend the rest of the year fielding balls dribbled along the ground to him, but he probably won't see another one now.
In fact, after those three tries, not many are going to kick his way at all if they can help it.

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
For me the expectation surrounding him was high because Johns was publicly wrapping him for quite a while stating he had never seen a better athlete. He has definitely improved out of sight. The couple tries he has scored by standing blokes up and getting around them with ease have been rippers. He seems to be reading the play much better, runs the ball strong and hasn't made too many errors.

roopy

Referee
I was thinking of you on Monday Roopy, when he scored three tries in the first half. You are a true believer and I hope for the sake of the Knights, Aku himself and blokes like you that like to watch the game closely that he continues to go from strength to strength!
I registered on another site a few years ago as 'Uate's only fan'.
I'm thinking of going back and changing it to 'Dureau's only fan'.

Special K

Coach

He nearly ended up melbourne (due to the CC deal) a few years ago when Smith was at the knights. I doubt he would have 80 tries as he they wouldn't have put up with some of his defensive reads from 3 years ago! Hope he stays at the Knights for a long time to come though - hate to see good players who come through the ranks get stolen.

He played fullback as a jnr and would love to see him end up there in the NRL. The guy is a freak on kick returns! I couldn't help but laugh when he knocked Tighe out when he scored that try - it reminded me of when he was at woy woy(yes i'm going on about that play again) and went 100m putting two guys out for the season with ankle injuries from his stepping.

Jono078

Referee
I'd love to know if Aku had any special training in the pre season or if all this good form has come from experience and confidence alone.

He's looking very well rounded this year.

His workload seems outstanding, he goes looking for the ball, brain snaps seem minimal if any. Really enjoy seeing him excel it's exciting as a Knights fan.

roopy

Referee
For me the expectation surrounding him was high because Johns was publicly wrapping him for quite a while stating he had never seen a better athlete. He has definitely improved out of sight. The couple tries he has scored by standing blokes up and getting around them with ease have been rippers. He seems to be reading the play much better, runs the ball strong and hasn't made too many errors.
The only difference is confidence.
He had zero confidence.
He is slowly realising that he is the best athlete on the field.
Playing for Fiji, where he is a respected senior player, is the making of him.
He was the toast of PNG and Fiji after the Pacific cup.
Makes a difference from being treated like the Village idiot in Newcastle.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Well I have been one of his critics in the past but I have got to admit he has been a real shining light so far this season.

If he cleans up his goal line defence he will be an absolute super star

Keep it up big fella

Serc

First Grade
I registered on another site a few years ago as 'Uate's only fan'.
I'm thinking of going back and changing it to 'Dureau's only fan'.

Have a look at this weeks KOTW...I think there's a couple more in there :)

Adsy

Juniors
His improvement from last year to this year is outstanding.

Needs to work on catching the high ball though. Especially when attacking.

Pika

Bench
He is still on a steep learning curve and will only get better.

Under Stone he has a little more freedom to back himself, and I think this has helped his confidence a fair bit.

Still some way to go over all, but he is getting there.

League_God

Juniors
there is no doubt about it, he is our form back by miles this year.
ive always been a huge fan, i first saw him play in for woy woy in a game against umina, he was only young i think he must of been about 16. He was very raw but blind freddy could see he was on a whole different level to anyone else on the field in terms of athleticism, speed etc.
so i have tried to watch every game he has played since then.
im really happy for aku, i have never met him personally but my cousin played against him alot (he played for umina) and he says you couldn't find a nicer bloke.

BG

Juniors
The only difference is confidence.
He had zero confidence.
He is slowly realising that he is the best athlete on the field.
Playing for Fiji, where he is a respected senior player, is the making of him.
He was the toast of PNG and Fiji after the Pacific cup.
Makes a difference from being treated like the Village idiot in Newcastle.

There's a pretty big difference in the NRL though, when you're getting laughed at by team-mates for not being able to number up properly even in training drills, and having coaching staff getting in your ear for not supporting your fullback on kick returns despite being told a million times.

Even for an exceptional athlete, there is a certain minimum requirement of the basic technical stuff necessary to earn the respect of the professionals around you. Aku obviously hasn't been the fastest learner, but an exceptional athlete he most certainly is, and hopefully he's on his way to a career that's been worth the wait.