What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Johnathon Thurston

screeder

Juniors
Payne could be gone too. The cowboys would have won tonight if Thurston and Payne didn't get injured. Sorry if thats stating the obvious

Ianc

Juniors
Don't agree. We didn't deserve to win but I think we played better when JT went off.

Payne could be gone too. The cowboys would have won tonight if Thurston and Payne didn't get injured. Sorry if thats stating the obvious

Payne got injured in the last 10 minutes, just before we slotted the field goal over so it was fair to say his injury didn't mean much.

The loss of Thurston though was crushing, but it seemed you guys opened up without him to be honest, interesting really.

Shorty

Staff member
Not at all. The last player who said "screw looking at the options, just let me sign the damn contract" was $onny Bill Williams. That turned out well...

All I'm saying is that I'm reasonably confident we'll keep JT, even though he could earn more money overseas.

The difference between 400K and 700K isn't as much as the difference between 50k and 350K. It's still the same amount of money, but it doesn't open up many extra doors - it just means you can't buy an extra house each year.
But it's not just money Thurston is thinking about, I know it looks as though he's taking the highest price.
However a while ago I heard a rumour from a friend who had spoke to those in the know about Thurston considering Rugby (this was like 2 years ago!) because of the extent of his injuries.

Now, this isn't completely out of the realms of possibility because Thurston has always had issues with his shoulder, and I think probably does his utmost to keep it padded.
But the condition I was told is terminal and can't be fixed.
If that's the truth then he's got a ticking timebomb in league, whereas with rugby he's not as vulnerable and can try and make some more money to support his large family.

I believe it's got absolutely nothing to do with the chances of a Cowboys premiership, he'd be signing with another NRL club if that were the case.

As for him being injured, this is a great chance to build the team.....we NEED this guys....be positive.

Charlie124

First Grade
We played a lot better and more "as a team" when Thurston went off injured last night. Im looking forward to seeing how we handle this hurdle, id like to think that we've grown as a team from a time when no Thurston meant no Cowboys.

Losing Payne as well isnt great though.

Latest posts