What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SMH:Smith's the man to take over from me, says Cayless

lucablight

First Grade
DEPARTING Parramatta skipper Nathan Cayless has anointed Ben Smith as the man to become the next long-term captain of the club.
The Eels will appoint a new skipper after Cayless ends his 13-year NRL career at the end of the season.
Cayless said Nathan Hindmarsh would be his ''natural'' successor, crediting his best mate and fellow forward as practically co-captaining the side during his tenure. However, the former New Zealand captain said centre-cum-back-rower Smith would be a worthy candidate for the honour long term.
''Obviously Hindy is the natural one to do it [next],'' Cayless told The Sun-Herald. ''We've pretty much done the job together over the last few years. ''We've been together for so long, we started playing first grade together, and he has always been a sounding board for me.
''I've always bounced ideas off him and he's always come up to me and said 'maybe we should do this, or do that'. When I'm off the field, he's the one who is the captain because he plays 80 minutes every week. I've just had the 'c' next to my name for so long. Hindy is the natural one to take over, but a long-term option is something the club and [Eels coach] Daniel [Anderson] will need to decide. Someone like Ben Smith would be great. He's got a lot of respect from all of the players. There's a lot of options but that's not for me to decide.''
Smith is one of Parramatta's more experienced players, racking up 86 games in an injury-plagued career. He is well regarded at the club and, at 25, could be viewed as a player capable of handling the role after Cayless and Hindmarsh retire.
Cayless wore the captain's armband for the 200th time in last weekend's loss to Cronulla. No player has done the job so often at any one club. Form and fitness permitting, he will break Brad Fittler's NRL record of 216 captaincy appearances.
Cayless has been criticised in some quarters following the Eels' disappointing 1-3 start to the season, but his stats - an average of 29 tackles and 12.8 runs for 95.8 metres in 45.5 minutes of game time - stack up well against those of some of his underperforming teammates.
Cayless recalled that, initially, he was a reluctant captain. The 32-year-old only took up the post at the urging of then-coach Brian Smith after several more experienced players, including Jim Dymock and Jarrod McCracken, knocked it back.
''I wasn't too keen to do it, I wanted to concentrate on my own footy,'' Cayless said. ''In '99, I'd been in and out of first grade for a year and had to fight for my position. I was looking just to cement my spot in 2000, but Brian spoke to me and convinced me to have a go. There have been some good times and some hard times and good times.''
Asked if he ever considered stepping down, Cayless said: ''I'm not someone who likes to give up on something. I've always enjoyed working hard to get out of tough situations and that's what we're in at the moment.''
Cayless will pursue a real estate career. ''It's a huge honour to play for the one club for so long,'' Cayless said. '''It's been a very enjoyable experience and very humbling.''
source: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-over-from-me-says-cayless-20100410-rzq6.html

andrew057

First Grade
Dont think so. Ben Smith was struggling to make the starting XIII last year before the team went on its run and has been rather lacklustre again this season. I'd prefer someone else.

Bazal

Post Whore
Benny would be a good option, he's becoming a very good backrower and I know he is highly respected by the guys. Mannah or KK are probably the other options, or even a few years of Luke Burt.

Stagger eel

Staff member
given that it was endorsed by our captain of 10 years than Ben Smith would be an ideal replacement.

strider

Post Whore
i think ben appears to traverse the generation gap in our team - seems to get on well with the oldies and the youngies .... might be a good option if he can continue to cement his role in the back row this year

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I'd be happy with Benny and I'm sure he' be pretty wrapped to be nominated by Caylo

Tyler Durden

Juniors
start developing hayne for the captaincy.

during the streak last year, the boys would be gather together on the field before a the kick-off. hayne was the one that was doing all the talking and all the others were listening to his instructions and looked like the real leader of the team.

bartman

Immortal
Interesting. I'd never thought of Smith as captaincy material before...

But if he's playing the bulk of the game (60-80 mins) in the back row, and guys like Cayless are coming out in his corner, then I'd assume it's a done deal for next season (or if Cayless misses a game). Well done Benny :clap:.

On a side note, did anyone else read the quote from Hindmarsh about how he couldn't see himself running out under another player as a signal that he might be thinking about calling it quits at the end of the year...?

Parra Guru

Coach
Benny is actually one of the few guys who look like they give a sh*t when we're down.

Good choice IMO

SCoops

Juniors
I could see Benny doing this.

As for Hayne... He need to prove himself first. As much as I like him as a player, he needs to have more than just one half of a good season to be the captain.

If Hayne continues to play like he did late last year and can show some leadership over a couple of years then yes.. by all means give it to him.

Cheers

Coops

Fathead

Bench
Im telling you that if Tim Mannah establishes himself in the side this year, he will be the long term captain.
Tim is definately the person that Ando is looking at.

Can't agree with the post that Smith has been lackluster. He is one of the only ones that can hold their heads up ATM IMO.

As for Mannah, he's a kid. Give him a few years to develop as a prop first. ( he doesn't have the same maturity that cayless did at the same age)

Last edited:

Nikki

Coach

But if he's playing the bulk of the game (60-80 mins) in the back row, and guys like Cayless are coming out in his corner, then I'd assume it's a done deal for next season (or if Cayless misses a game). Well done Benny :clap:.

On a side note, did anyone else read the quote from Hindmarsh about how he couldn't see himself running out under another player as a signal that he might be thinking about calling it quits at the end of the year...?

Yeah I noticed that comment as well. Was gunna bring it up in the other thread, but didnt want to add to all the consipracy theorists in here. lol. I dont think it comes across in written form as it was meant.

CrazyEel

Bench
Can't anything be taken at face value anymore, maybe he just means what he said, he'll find it hard running out onto the field without his mate being there.

Anyway, I do think Caylo would know the players pretty well so if he feels Smith can do the job then then I'd like to see him get it.

natheel

Coach
as much as id love to see hindy get the captaincy i think we should give to someone who will carry it on for a while just like caylo did, hindy i think will be retired in 3 years, benny looks like he is loyal and respected.

natheel

Coach

well cayless has always been hindys captain itll be weird for him for sure

Latest posts