What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Painting of N. Provan in Leagues Club

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Does anyone have an image of it that they can post?

I'm really keen to get an artist I know to do a replica, as I've always enjoyed it.

Any help would be hot.

Hang in there for a bit.

Could be wrong but I think the old WORL forums had a "Sticks Provan" that used that picture in 'these' forums a while back.

I've seen it about online though (if not VERY similar.)

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Yeah, got it here.

sh_provan_portrait.jpg

http://www.jubileeavenue.com.au/history/history_players_pqr.php

RedVee

First Grade
Great painting. I also love the Changa painting and the Smithy, Chook & Reg ones. The (leagues) club should investigate the legalities of having a run of prints made for sale.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
RedVee said:
The (leagues) club should investigate the legalities of having a run of prints made for sale.
I've seen people taking photographs. I'm sure a good camera could produce a top class framed photo.

No doubt the club owns the painting. But it would be unfortunate if they started banning cameras.

The way I see it, the promotion of Norm Provan at any level can't be a bad thing. He should be an Immortal.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Agree, Norm should have been an Immortal before Beetson. A true gentleman of the game.

Thanks for the pic Willow. I'm going to send it to the artist to see if he can reproduce it. If he thinks he can, I'll take him to The Taj to get a better look :)

Rexxy

Coach
Im guessing, but the painting of Norm along with the smaller ones of Chook and Billy Smith were painted by D'Arcy D'oyle, one of Australia's most successful painters, who got his start as a scene painter at St George Leagues...

Too bad Danny Robinson thinks so little of St George to have never protected the originals from smoke damage and old age.

That Premiers Lounge is a rundown disgrace IMO.

Frantic

Juniors
I found this thread whilst researching information for my family tree. If anyone is still interested, the Norm Provan picture was painted and donated to the club by my grandfather, Albert Amos Clarke (1884-1969). A long time Bexley resident, he was passionate about St George and proud to have his painting hanging above the stairs. I don't know if it is still on show as i no longer live in Sydney but I'm sure he'd be thrilled to know it was used occasionally. It would be nice to see him credited.

RedVee

First Grade
Yep, I love it and always point it out to visitors when in the club.
And, I'd love a copy of (any of) it, the Changa (esp) and Billy portraits as well.

Latest posts