What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Draft Day Thread

Big Mick

Referee
This is my list of best available prospect remaining (in no particular order):

Levi Brown, QB, Troy
Tony Pike, QB, Cincinnati
Jonathan Dwyer, RB, GT
Carlton Mitchell, WR, USF
Jacoby Ford, WR, Clemson
Dorin Dickerson, TE/?, Pittsburgh
Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland
Marshall Newhouse, G, TCU
Matt Tennant, C, BC
Selvish Cappers, OT, UWV
Everson Griffin, DE, USC
Corey Wootton, DE, Northwestern
Cam Thomas, DT, North Carolina
Austen Lane, DE, Murray State
Arthur Jones, DT/DE, Syracuse
Greg Hardy, DE, Ole Miss
Ricky Sapp, DE/OLB, Clemson
Thaddeus Gibson, DE/OLB, Ohio State
Eric Norwood, DE/OLB (ILB), South Carolina
Darrell Stuckey, SS, KU
Reshad Jones, SS, Georgia
Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, CB/KR, Indiana (PA)
Dominique Franks, CB, OU

No Aaron Herndandez?

whats your take on our draft so far?

It's ok.

I questioned picking Thomas over Bryant, but Bryant has character red flags (although I don't think they're much). It's understandable I guess.

I'm both strongly for and against the Tebow pick. He'll be very good in a few years, he'll basically kill himself to suceed and inevitably will. The only problem is, we didn't really need him.

I liked the Beadles pick, despite it being a minor reach. He's a high character mauler and can play across the line, giving him great versatility. I'd have rathered trading down in the 50's and picking him, but I'll take it.

I loved the Walton pick, absolutely excellent. He fills our biggest need and is a true team leader as well as a power blocker. He is the last piece of our young, reworked O-line.

Decker was a bit of a luxury pick, I like him in the late 3rd and he could be an awesome no.2 possession receiver to replace Marshall. Thomas will be our deep threat, Decker our possession receiver and Royal will work the slot in the future.

Right now I'd give it a B+ to A-, I've enjoyed it so far and am hoping we can get a few prized players on the 3rd day. I'm hoping we can pick up Arthur Jones and or Micah Johnson.

Big Tim

First Grade
So the final rounds kickoff at midnight???

might stick around to see if Bruce Campbell drops to Shanny on the 4th pick of the day... TBH he is the only guy I have heard we are targetting so I dont know if there is better value out there....... a prospect QB could be nice, but we do have Colt on the roster.

Big Mick

Referee
IMO the best draft's are:

Arizona – Dan Williams (DT), Daryl Washington (LB), Andre Roberts (WR)
Baltimore – Sergio Kindle (DE/LB), Terrance Cody (DT), Ed Dickson (TE)
Bengals – Jermaine Gresham (TE), Carlos Dunlap (DE), Jordon Shipley (WR) Brandon Ghee (CB)
Patriots – Devin McCourty (CB), Rob Gronkowski (TE), Jermaine Cunningham (DE), Brandon Spikes (LB) Taylor Price (WR)
Steelers – Maurkice Pouncey (C), Jason Worilds (DE), Emmanuel Sanders (WR)
49ers – Anthony Davis (OT), Mike Iupati (OG), Taylor Mays (FS), Navorro Bowman (LB)
Seattle – Russell Okung (OT), Early Thomas (SS), Golden Tate (WR)
Bucs – Gerald McCoy (DT), Brian Price (DT), Arrelious Benn (WR), Myron Lewis (CB)

abpanther

Staff member
Well unfortunately LU was down so couldn't get on.

Rams too Gilyard who I like
BRuce Campbell did end up going to the Raiders in the 4th
Eagles had plenty of picks but don't really like what they did with them (I like Kafka though)
Cowboys took CB Ansah who I really like

Still hoping Cam Thomas or Austen Lane are there for the 49ers in the 6th

abpanther

Staff member
Anyone (or ab in particular) shed any info on the Vikings 2 picks in round 2?

Chris Cook CB and Toby Gerhart RB.

I can only find a little bit on Toby, and sounds like he was a stud in college, his last season stats are amazing as a pure running back.

Chris Cook I know nothing of except he was kicked out of school or college in 2008 for poor grades but came back last season and did well. And he was one of the first guys the Vikings had a personal session with, so they must have liked what they saw.

Also it's funny, before the draft I said Childress and Spielman were known to pick the best player available or biggest game breaker. But this is the first season I think they are really filling needs.

JMO

I like Gerhart as a player, he runs hard, he is quicker than people give him credit for, he plays with plenty of heart and he played his best in big games. The knock on him is his top end speed, lack of wiggle and he is not much of a receiver.

To be honest I see him as a physical/move the chains runner in the pros that you have as a compliment to a speedy back (e.g. Lendale White, etc). For that reason I dont really get the pick for the Vikes as I thought they would've picked someone more similar to Chester Taylor (pass catching back).

I don't really like the Cook pick for the Vikes in terms of where he was taken, I think they could've got him at the end of the 2nd. He has nice size and speed but was pretty awful in the SB practices, lacks ball skills, he is more suited to man coverage which makes him a good fit for the Vikes. I think they should've stayed at 30 and taken Patrick Robinson

Last edited:

abpanther

Staff member
Oh and by the way

Oakland MLB Kirk Morrison traded to the Jags
Tennessee RB Lendale White and Jets RB Leon Washington traded to the Seahawks

Big Mick

Referee
Seahawks...playmakers...Lendal White and Leon Washington is huge.

Jason Campbell to Raiders is also great for the Raiders...I was hoping Buffalo picked him up. He just needs stability. Campbell will go good at the Raiders.

Big Mick

Referee
Alan Faneca as expected with Ducasse's pick...has been released.

Please come to Buffalo Alan.

I suspect he may go to someone like the Eagles.

Big Mick

Referee
Ok surprise players NOT DRAFTED:

- Jarrett Brown QB, West Virginia
- Jevan Snead QB, Miss
- LeGarette Blount RB, Oregan
- Rashawn Jackson, RB, Virginia
- Jeremy Williams, WR, Tulane
- Adam Ulatoski OT, Texas
- Tony Washington OT, Abilene
- Brandon Lang DE, Troy
- Donovan Warren CB, Michigan

Very, very surprised with Warren, Snead and Brown not being drafted.

Mal Meninga

Bench
I'm both strongly for and against the Tebow pick. He'll be very good in a few years, he'll basically kill himself to suceed and inevitably will. The only problem is, we didn't really need him.
I like the fact that McDaniels didn't have tunnel vision. Too many teams think for only the season ahead, and suffer the consequences in 2-3 years time. Tebow has the intangibles to be an all time great and his work ethic will rub off on every person inside the Broncos building. It's the absolute perfect marriage.

Big Mick

Referee
I like the fact that McDaniels didn't have tunnel vision. Too many teams think for only the season ahead, and suffer the consequences in 2-3 years time. Tebow has the intangibles to be an all time great and his work ethic will rub off on every person inside the Broncos building. It's the absolute perfect marriage.

Agreed. He wants to make a team environment in Buffalo.

This pick will help.

Tom155

Coach
It's ok.

I questioned picking Thomas over Bryant, but Bryant has character red flags (although I don't think they're much). It's understandable I guess.

I liked the Beadles pick, despite it being a minor reach. He's a high character mauler and can play across the line, giving him great versatility. I'd have rathered trading down in the 50's and picking him, but I'll take it.

I loved the Walton pick, absolutely excellent. He fills our biggest need and is a true team leader as well as a power blocker. He is the last piece of our young, reworked O-line.

Decker was a bit of a luxury pick, I like him in the late 3rd and he could be an awesome no.2 possession receiver to replace Marshall. Thomas will be our deep threat, Decker our possession receiver and Royal will work the slot in the future.

Right now I'd give it a B+ to A-, I've enjoyed it so far and am hoping we can get a few prized players on the 3rd day. I'm hoping we can pick up Arthur Jones and or Micah Johnson.
dont like the 1st rd there were better players available and beadles while i like the pick it was a reach could have been picked later the rest was decent