What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Melbourne Stadium

Big R

Juniors
I don't believe 31k stadiums are realistic for Rugby League anymore. We are progressing toward a stage where matches will start requiring far more seating. Our more popular regular season matches already outstrip such a figure in many cases - I believe stadia with capacity of 45-60k is where we should be aiming. For that very reason, Etihad will still be used in Melbourne for many major Rugby League matches.

I recall they want SOO 1 @ AAMI Park in 2012... if so it's pretty disappointing to regress to a 31k capacity ground when you're taking a crowd double that out of Sydney that year...

The reason it is only 31,000 is because when they built Telstra Dome, there was a contract signed with the government (or someone) that another 25,000+ stadium was not allowed to be built in Melbourne for 20 years (for the TD investing parties). The original plan was for 25,000, but after many kicked up a stink about it not being enough, they somehow worked out a deal which allowed them to squeeze 31,000. Still not enough, but better than 25,000 at least.

simostorm

Bench
Its pretty funny walking past the old Olympic Park, and into AAMI Park,
you get the feeling of, i cant beleive they use to play rugby league there.
Run down old stadium with concrete steps as sits looks woeful once youve seen the new stadium :lol:

Great facilities, heaps of bars and food outlets on each level,
top level, has a massive long bar with tons of spirits and beer etc etc
gunna be a great arvo out for day games.
i strolled into some corporate rooms before getting removed :lol:
corporate dining rooms are pretty dam good.

and most important, the seats and viewing are so good. I reckon you can almost sit in any seat in the stadium, even behind the posts and you'd have a decent view still.

very well done to the ppl that designed it.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Every club in the NRL should be playing out of a stadium somewhere between 27-31k (or more if justified) with great facilities like this. Fans like being undercover and having easy access to beer, chips and a toilet.

Come on NSW Government, wheres the love for the NRL? $70m for an AFL ground, yet Jubilee upgrade is only half done, Parra could use an upgrade, Brookie is a delapidated dump and so on...

it seems a soccer world cup would be good for Canberra Newcastle and Townsville, but not much love for NRL clubs in Sydney if Blacktown is the chosen location for a stadium...
ANZ Stadium, Sydney Football Stadium?

Goddo

Bench
ANZ Stadium, Sydney Football Stadium?

ANZ is getting dressed up for all codes, and the SFS will be as is with a face lift, maybe a new roof.

What I mean is AFL gets a 70k Subiaco Oval, a 50-60k Adelaide Oval, Gold Coast, Geelong, Canberra Stadium back to oval, the Showground upgraded as a bribe, the MCG facelift.

We get 30-40k canberra and townsville with temp seats, temp seats at Newcastle and a 50k blacktown which is in the middle of nowhere. C'est le vie?

The beer and food prices are a rort...pretty standard for all stadiums really.

Great view of the play but the seats are not that comfortable.

Brutus

Referee
Its pretty funny walking past the old Olympic Park, and into AAMI Park,
you get the feeling of, i cant beleive they use to play rugby league there.
Run down old stadium with concrete steps as sits looks woeful once youve seen the new stadium :lol:

I was walking around Olympic Park today. Not just a concrete outer, but there was gravel/dirt there as well. Would have been appalling during a wet game. Couldn't believe how close it is to the road behind the northern goal posts too.

The new stadium is stunning.

Last edited:

Evenflow

Bench
As i mentioned elsewhere from a viewing perspective which is by far the most important thing, this stadium is easily the best i've been to. Don't get me wrong Suncorp is brilliant as well but there's one thing to be on the bottom tier and even half way up, but i've also been right up near the top there and the view IMO just isn't that great.

I understand it's a 50k+ stadium which is imperative to have in Brisbane but like any ground the higher you go obviously the viewing wont be anywhere near as good. That said in Melbourne just don't need a rectangular stadium that size save for the odd game here and there so i think it's a perfect size. From a pure viewing perspective in regards to every seat in the house and the gradient of the stands there's just nothing that compares to it.

Regardless of everything that's gone on lately the Storm really deserved to be playing out of a rectangular stadium of this quality and every bit as important the game of RL in Melbourne deserved a stadium of this quality in Melbourne.

little_aza

Juniors
I was in middle right up the top last night, and even though it wasn't that close, it was streets ahead of Etihad - the view was fairly good I thought. And being 5' 3", the seating legroom was fine haha.

I arrived, soaking wet, a few mins late. Initially we walked into the lower level (which was the wrong part). When I walked out into the seating area through the corridor it was pouring rain, the crowd was very loud, and there were packed seats almost as high as the eye could see - quite literally one of the most amazing sights I've ever seen!

Coaster

Bench
I do not want to rain on the parade, but i hated it.

The playing surface and the seating was the best i have been too, i wish the storm all the best.

The facilities were quiet simply the worst i have ever seen from any footy ground. There was no toilets, in fact after waiting half an hour to see the toilet, there was room for 8 men standing at the urinal. The place leaked like a sieve, and there is absoulutly no reason for it. 31 thousand people were expected, the company involved with the marketing should be looked at.

I was bitterly dissapointed with the whole out of ground experience, as i say the ground itself (which is the most important) was fantastic. But the other parts of the stadium that matter most to the fans that have to go each week, was border line pathetic.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
As playing and official facilities go it's fantastic - no doubt. The public part isn't 100% finished yet, there's still gaps to plug I imagine.

seanoff

Juniors
ANZ is getting dressed up for all codes, and the SFS will be as is with a face lift, maybe a new roof.

What I mean is AFL gets a 70k Subiaco Oval, a 50-60k Adelaide Oval, Gold Coast, Geelong, Canberra Stadium back to oval, the Showground upgraded as a bribe, the MCG facelift.

We get 30-40k canberra and townsville with temp seats, temp seats at Newcastle and a 50k blacktown which is in the middle of nowhere. C'est le vie?

Subiaco isn't going ahead atm, Adelaide Oval will be a consolidation and better use of resources, Geelong is sold out every week so it's not as tho it won't be used, and the MCG has had 5 crowds in excess of 70,000 already this yr, it's not like no one turns up there and that stadium pays for itself anyway. Canberra NFI whose idea that was, and GC, is about square with the Titans home.

there are some things that are different between the 2.

Sydney NRL clubs all want to play on their own dunghill, nothing wrong with that, but you cannot expect all those grounds to be of the same std as the MCG, Etihad etc with large capacities. It just isn't feasible. FFS the Tigers play out of at least 3 "homes"

The Storm got a new home, but they share with 3 other sides and will get used 40 x a yr minimum. the new AO would have 3 tenants, the WA govt would prefer a new stadium to also be used for cricket so it would have 3 tenants. hte MCG has 5 and half tenants, Etihad has 4 and half (Geelong play bigger games at the MCG and Etihad)

If NRL clubs were prepared to play at consolidated venues the venues would most likely be bigger, better and attract better funding. the trade off the AFL made was limited number of grounds for much better facilities at those grounds.

also i don't think the NRL go into bat for their clubs in the same way the AFL do.

stormtragic

Juniors
As playing and official facilities go it's fantastic - no doubt. The public part isn't 100% finished yet, there's still gaps to plug I imagine.

we got soaked in rain lol, but is a amazing stadium, so many people were just in aw of how close they were to action, Storm's crowds will increase without a doubt

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
GC, is about square with the Titans home.
See this is the problem. Why should Carrara be a similar size to Robina when the AFL games on the GC can't even come close to the current capacity of Carrara as it stands?

That new stadium in Canberra would be great. A new stadium for Townsville would be great too (just use the same design from current Canberra stadium, they don't need a roof in NQ).

The fact that the AFL is getting upgraded grounds in Melb, Perth and Adelaide should be enough. Every other stadium should be rectangular. We have a great opportunity to upgrade stadiums in Sydney, Brisbane, Newcastle, the GC, Townsville and Canberra but somehow it seems like it's going to get f**ked up because of a sport that doesn't even use proper football stadiums...

Goddo

Bench
See this is the problem. Why should Carrara be a similar size to Robina when the AFL games on the GC can't even come close to the current capacity of Carrara as it stands?

That new stadium in Canberra would be great. A new stadium for Townsville would be great too (just use the same design from current Canberra stadium, they don't need a roof in NQ).

The fact that the AFL is getting upgraded grounds in Melb, Perth and Adelaide should be enough. Every other stadium should be rectangular. We have a great opportunity to upgrade stadiums in Sydney, Brisbane, Newcastle, the GC, Townsville and Canberra but somehow it seems like it's going to get f**ked up because of a sport that doesn't even use proper football stadiums...

Spot on. Its a FIFA world cup, not AFL. We should have as few ovals as possible.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
First NRL match and already a penalty try :lol:

seanoff

Juniors

most of the major AFL stadiums have multiple tenants. and those that don't are planned to be, except the GC.

The NRL has access to good stadiums in Sydney and if the SFS was used by 4 teams like the MCG, it would likely be upgraded more often because it would generate more income.

as for Brisbane, Suncorp is new and more than adequate. Newcastle, EA is in the process of being redevloped, the GC is new, Canberra is modern.

Townsville - well if the NRL and the Cows could get the TCC on board and then the state govt and so on they'd get somewhere, but is that in process? These things take an age.

Sydney NRL teams will play at 12 home grounds this year all of them within 100km of the CBD. the 9 Melb AFL teams will play at 5. mostly the MCG (50+) and Etihad (40+) and in Tassie (4), the NT(2) and ACT(2).

If you throw 20M at 12 grounds you get bugger all. that money at building a new 40,000 seater somewhere + the SFS you get something pretty special. ATM it's too bitsy, but clubs want to play on their own (multiple) dunghills, so the dunghills are bitsy.

if you want modern large capacity stadiums, there needs to be consolidation of where the sydney clubs play.

the griping about the AFL is bullsh*t, the AFL do what they do, and if they get stuff done, well good for them. If the NRL can't get it done, that is not the fault of the AFL, it just reflects poorly on the NRL TBH