What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ME Stadium

gallagher

Juniors
Barnett just announced an $82.5 mil upgrade of ME stadium with a capacity of 25,000, construction starting 2012. Another 5,000 would have been good and construction should be starting now but anythings an improvment I guess. It can only help the bid.

Perth Red

Post Whore
60 mill less than promised! Still with this Govt anythings a bonus I guess. Considering netball just got $25mill to build an indoor court it doesn't seem much considering 3 of the cities major teams will be playing in it.

Hopefully will pay for a new main stand and the uncovered end covering over with permenant seating.

I'd like to see the Shed extended to cover the whole standing end as well then it would just leave the demolition and rebuild of the exisitng main stand for the future to bring it up to 30,000.

Alehana

Juniors
finally this thing has taken ages!! good for the bid, hopefully with strong crowds to remaining nrl matches, who knows...

Perth Red

Post Whore
I doubt it. The gates at the front of the stadium are but the main stand isn't (as far as I know). Given they've just pulled down the Athletics stadium in Floreat that has far more heritage attached to it I doubt it will be an issue

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
What kind of money does the WA Gov have to throw around?

Surely a stadium like Skilled or AAMI Park isnt out of the question for Perth?

AAMI has Storm, Rebels, Victory and the Heart playing out of it.

Perth could have the Reds, Force and the Glory.

Perth Red

Post Whore
they have just paid out $450mill for an entertainment centre! $250mill surplus this year and next and tipped to be closer to $1bill by 2012. They aren;t skint despite what they'd like us to think!

If they are talking $260mill to upgrade MES they should just knock it over and build a AAMI style ground at Burswood.

Perth Red

Post Whore
What was in the budget:

Perth’s Major Rectangular Stadium

Mr Speaker, the development of a quality rectangular stadium is a priority for this
Government, as the current facilities are inadequate for the rugby and soccer teams of
this State.
The Government has therefore allocated $82.5 million in this budget to upgrade
Perth’s major rectangular stadium, with a maximum capacity of 25,000 seats.
Construction is expected to start in 2012.